505 Gibbs vs 500 Jeffery. Thoughts on these heavy hitters? Alternatives?

So the 500J, 505G and 500 A-Square are it for the 50 cal bolt rifle options?

I'm aware of the 550 magnum but that sounds like another step up.

Hard choice. The gibbs is a big ole cartridge with a case head to match = not much meat left on the bolt face rim. If you ever drop that bolt...

The Jeffreys is hard to make feed with a staggered mag I hear. Something about the rebated rim.

I'd personally go for a 500 A-Square. Essentially a necked up 460 weatherby.

I actually have a CZ550 magnum action lying around somewhere from back when I was all excited about african hunting..
I actually have a 505 where the rim of the bolt face has a chunk broken out of it. The rifle is a CZ, I emailed Wayne at AHR about it and he said it’s a non-issue.

70658987922__32ABB567-C46C-411F-BCEE-778D58260041.jpeg

I will have to disagree Spike, 9.5 is a good weight and I wouldn’t mind 9.0. Frank

Not sure what you disagreeing with...its my rifle @roverandbrew was shooting...I had it made at cz custom shop in usa when they were still operating...I bought it at sci....and the next year picked up the synthetic stock from them at sci....other people would say it needs to be in the 12lbs region....I don't like heavy rifles....so was very happy with the weight it turned out to have....

Both of these calibers will kill anything in Africa that you may hunt. I chose the 505 Gibbs because of the easier feeding as I did not want any issues if a follow up shot was needed. My 505 Gibbs comes in at 11.3 pounds and has a stout recoil but not when you are shooting it at dangerous game…the only time I’m thinking of the recoil is at the range during practice sessions. Easy to overcome with correct form.

HH
I never notice the recoil on my 505 , 500 NE or 600NE when hunting . I do not even notice the bang . But I am bloody deaf .

We have written a lot about both cartridges on various topics on the Forum in the last few months.

Currently there are two cartridges, the 500 Jeffery and the 12,7x70 Schüler, which cannot be used alternately in all weapons.

The cartridge 500 Jeffery is better suited to a Magnum action for many reasons. I don't know the experience of those who keep claiming that the cartridge 500 Jeffery is well suited for a standard Mauser 98 action.

The loads of both cartridges are not comparable because right from the start the cartridge 505 Gibbs was loaded with Cordite and the cartridge 500 Jeffery with platelet powder. This also partly explains the size of the cartridge 505 Gibbs.
I have only ever seen 500J on magnum actions and in rifles weighing around 11lbs. Can’t imagine shooting a “light” rifle with this cartridge . Much prefer the 505G to shoot .

Not sure what you disagreeing with...its my rifle @roverandbrew was shooting...I had it made at cz custom shop in usa when they were still operating...I bought it at sci....and the next year picked up the synthetic stock from them at sci....other people would say it needs to be in the 12lbs region....I don't like heavy rifles....so was very happy with the weight it turned out to have....
Spike T, I was joking with you. Frank

Tony Sanchez who along with Harold Wolf are credited with the revival of the Jeffery states “…what the one can do so can the other…” meaning they are both the same. He and Harold made the improved Jeffery having no rebated rim.
Tony has owned an original Gibbs which he reluctantly sold to a rabid collector client. It broke his heart but he already had a sizeable big bore Arsenal and so began using his Jeffery more frequently.
My experience has been that the .505 offers a push rather than a kick vs the Jeff and I can only put this down to the fact that I load the Gibbs with a slower burning powder. Shooting a Blaser in.500 J gave me a bloody nose when I punched my self under recoil!

I've had both, neither is a bad choice in a rifle built properly,...but thats the key, "built properly". They both need to weigh 10.5 lbs or more, on actions that accommodate the length of the 505, and an appropriate action for the stubby 550J. I stuck with the 500j on a short fat Granite Mountain actioned rifle with a 22" barrel, I've killed multiple buffalo and a bunch of other stuff with it. Either caliber hits like a lightening bolt from the sky. Shooting either is not for the faint of heart. I use an evo shield shirt with a super thin protective plate in the shoulder to practice so that eliminates the shoulder punch but it still torques your entire upper body during recoil, so if you have a bad back or neck I wouldn't venture into this realm, you will be above 90 ft lbs of recoil, to compare, a stoutly loaded 416 rigby that weight 10.5 lbs generates about 58 ft lbs. The recoil of these .5" hammers is next level. The one other thing I would mention is I have hand loaded for both, and for some reason the Jeffery seemed easier to load and keep ammo concentric, the brass lasted for at least 8-10 firings with both bertram and norma and the primer pockets were still firm fit, and the neck tension was always uniform.

IMG_2972.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about recoil tolerance. My 500 Jeffery weighs 12 lbs with scope and rings. I shoot 570g TSX's or A-Frames at 2300 fps. It's still fun to shoot. Move them up to 2500 fps the fun index goes to zero for me.

Some of you might be aware that I have a 505 gibbs. Now I tip the scales at 66.5kg. I load my 505 with 600grn bullets and love shooting it. I did mount a low powered scope which ended up hitting my nose and cracking the bone. But that did happen whilst shooting it off the bench. With the scope its 11.5lbs.

In all honesty get the one you want and can get components for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanKeighl

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]