500 Nitro Express project

krusin

Reaction score
Before I purchased a double rifle, I thought I knew everything about shooting. Oh boy, I was wrong. Regulation of a double rifle is the area I was completely unaware of. It humbled me. But because I had reloaded for many years and for multiple rifle calibers, I had the necessary experience and equipment to tackle this challenge. After reading “The Bible” on the subject ("Shooting the British Double Rifle" by Graeme Wright), I felt pretty confident that I would be able to handle this project. That is before I actually started shooting it.
The first problem was the express sights. I’m 65 and my vision is not as good as before. So, I really can’t see the sights clearly. As a consequence, my target acquisition was very slow and accuracy was awful. So, I’ve milled out two slots behind the rear sight and installed a Trijicon RMR.

IMG_8007.jpeg

That solved one problem, but created another one. The sight was now sitting too high and I have to lift my head up to see through the red dot sight. My cheek bone was not touching the comb. That led to a weaker grip and a nasty hematoma on my shoulder that spread to my upper arm in a few days.

IMG_6701.jpeg

Thankfully, I realized that I needed help from an expert. So, I sought advice from one of the best shotgun gurus in Michigan (and maybe in the entire US), Bryan Bilinski (Fieldsport in Traverse City). After a thorough evaluation of my rifle, he installed a better recoil pad, adjusted the trigger pull for both triggers (the rear trigger pull was just a 1.5 pounds), bent the stock to provide a proper cast and installed an adjustable comb (he actually subcontracted that job to Graco Corporation in Arkansas who did an amazing job).

IMG_8008.jpeg

I was able to regulate my rifle using CEB Safari Solid bullets and RL-15 powder. 93.5 grains of RL-15 pushes 570 grains bullet at 2131 fps.

IMG_8012.jpeg

Now my rifle fits like a glove and shoots like a dream. I still need to decide what to do with the gap created by adjustable comb. I don’t want it to catch brunches when I am walking through the thick brush. I will post an update when I fix that issue.
Anyway, I can’t wait to use my 500 NE rifle during my upcoming trip to Africa.

Brian is a good guy, known him for a long time, and frankly wasn't aware he would take on a project like this. 500 NE level recoil is not for the faint of heart, if you can find an evo shield shooting shirt, it will make your practice sessions a lot less abusive. I wear one religiously at 416 and up, makes shooting a lot of reps and frequent range sessions fun, not painful. Hats off to you sir for being 65 and just now picking up a 500 NE, that's not a story you would hear often. At 65, which isn't far off for me, I'm pretty sure I'll be perfectly happy with 375, 404, or 416.

Thanks for the advice on the shirt. I’ll look into it. Bryan made me very happy by making all necessary adjustments to my rifle. It shoulders great now.

IMG_8004.jpeg

This is a picture in his shop after all adjustments were made.

I just finished regulating it. It took 21 shots. My shoulder doesn’t hurt at all. And results are great. Below are final 5 shots from the sticks at 50 yards.

IMG_8015.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaughnHaa

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com