.500 Jeffery

@CTDolan you describe the situation exactly. I understand it and my rifle was worked on to Improve it... it may not be perfect yet but it is servicable. With brass cases.

This is the first I've heard of issues with plated cases (Matt's post regarding his new AHR 505 and they not providing a guarantee with regard to reliability, if used with plated cases).

Does anyone know the fps with Kynoch's 535grn?

Thank you, if anyone knows.

Thanks! so cut that velocity down to 2320 fps for a 24" barrel.
The kynoch 500 jeff loaded by David littles kynoch are quite hot loads....I have a few and they stick in the chamber after firing....also first time I shot it with Paul I was what the fk....sako 535grn ammunition in my rifle is fine...norma 570 grn is unpleasant...the kynoch is bloody nasty....just looking for photo of the one round of kynoch ammo we put through @PeteG Chrono last year....now my 500 jeffery has a 20 inch barrel and the kynoch showed 2454 fps....

“At eight or nine pounds, with slim stocks, the recoil was hideous, but they worked.“

The Schuler Jumbos weigh almost 10.5lb!

“At eight or nine pounds, with slim stocks, the recoil was hideous, but they worked.“

The Schuler Jumbos weigh almost 10.5lb!
Curious, did Schuler activate the standard Mauser's safety lug for this caliber?

Stay away from Kynoch 535gr in the 500 Jeff....

Use 570gr or 600gr premium bullets anywhere between 2200 to 2400fps depending on your recoil tolerance.....devestatingly effective on anything....
@spike.t I saw some footage and it looked.....well surprising.....to say the least.....

IMG_0001 (12).jpeg
The 535gr FMJ bullet was the classic with which the cartridge 500 Jeffery was designed and after subsequently sold by various manufacturers.

I have only known for decades the cartridge 500 Jeffery with this bullet and when I had a rifle of this caliber built in the nineties, there was no other ammunition available than that with the 535gr bullet. I shot with this cartridge and the 535gr FMJ bullet at 2400 fps, as well as some hunters in the past do that before me, elephants and a few other game. I have never noticed a lack of penetration with this cartridge. Certainly 570gr or 600gr bullets of this caliber have a better ballistic performance, but there is no reason to demonize the 535gr bullets.

Stay away from Kynoch 535gr in the 500 Jeff....

Use 570gr or 600gr premium bullets anywhere between 2200 to 2400fps depending on your recoil tolerance.....devestatingly effective on anything....
@spike.t I saw some footage and it looked.....well surprising.....to say the least.....

I presume Pete showed you the video :E Big Grin:...as said the sako are fine and norma are acceptable....but those kynoch are definitely evil little buggers....and the bolt jams after each shot and is a struggle to open...so they are consigned to the nice to look at section...not for using

After a 3 year search, I finally added a 500 Jeffery to my Safari Rifle family.

Its an early AHR Custom built on a 550 CZ Safari Classic action.

What a wonderful Custom AHR big game rifle by Wayne, built in 2008.

specs:
550 CZ Safari Classic Action that started life as a 416 Rigby - converted to 500 Jeffery.
Upgraded to Vertical Feed w/ 1 up 2 down . .
Flawless Feeding (brass or nickel cases) from a custom vertical-stack internal box magazine
25" Heavy McGowen Barrel, w/ recessed cap on threaded muzzle for muzzle brake
Barrel Band Sling Swivel
10 lbs - 8 oz - 13-3/4" LOP (perfect balance)
Island Rear Sight, 1-Standing 1-Folding - Red Optic Front Sight w/ Window Hood
Fancy English Walnut Stock, 4-Panel Checkering w/ Rosewood Forend Cap & Rosewood Grip Cap

500j-00.jpg

Last edited:
I presume Pete showed you the video :E Big Grin:...as said the sako are fine and norma are acceptable....but those kynoch are definitely evil little buggers....and the bolt jams after each shot and is a struggle to open...so they are consigned to the nice to look at section...not for using
I would love to see the media, if anyone cares to share ..
And thank you @Wishfulthinker580, would've helped if I actually looked, my mind sometimes.

Several shared experiences I've read regarding Kynoch's prevalent recoil.

Yip.....he has some stuff on order as well. Get ready.........

A hunt for me, personally is becoming just a dream. There's 150 600grn Woodleigh's .. It was built for these @ 2100fps. (101gr RL15)
All I know is it's really accurate.

1705259630430.png

Last edited:
FMJ NO NO NO......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsiahFreeh

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]