500 Jeffery Club

19612519.1580318570.jpg

Attachments

This smithson 500j is one of the original rifles pictured in the gma website. I’d love to own that rifle but, 17k is still too rich for me on a rifle with 1 pipe. No doubt it’s a gem, same guy also has for sale a 404 that is a dandy. I think Those rifles may have belonged to that film production guy mark buchanan,….
That's what's stated, or was in the description. Also featured on J. P.'s site & in the film "Bolted to Death"

idk.

I haven't been out much in the past couple years, weak, shaky .. found a firework

Norma's 540's .. noticeably stouter & .. louder?
600's @ 2100fps otherwise.

Which ones the Norma 540 solids?....find them similar to the sako 535grn a frames...not bad....only others as I think have said get here are the 570grn norma ph ones...which in mine are not as nice as the sako or norma 540 solids....the kynoch i have are relegated to admiring on the shelf as evil to fire in mine...make the 570 ones seem OK.... :E Big Grin:

Which ones the Norma 540 solids?....find them similar to the sako 535grn a frames...not bad....only others as I think have said get here are the 570grn norma ph ones...which in mine are not as nice as the sako or norma 540 solids....the kynoch i have are relegated to admiring on the shelf as evil to fire in mine...make the 570 ones seem OK.... :E Big Grin:
@spike.t .. It had to be the 7th shot, 49 secs "grinning at the sheer sound"
If I recall, I soaked them up off midway years ago as they were 1/2 the price of 570's

I almost brought a Kynoch but, just as well .. they decorate the shelf ;
Groups were bad, lucked out on a couple but it took the shakes away for the day.
1723569356775.png

Lord, is that thing loud.

If applied correctly Cerakote is extremely tuff, it will not crack and is impervious to most if not all solvents. It will wear with use like bluing, but its a lot hardier than bluing.

I have on Cerakoted Model 70 Classic (CRF) in 416 Rem (LH for m y son) Very impressed with it. Still have traditional blueing on m walnut stocked rifles.

Can a Cerakote finish ever crack?
When cleaning the firearm, is rem-oil okay on the exterior, etc? .. many thanks, if anyone can help with benefits & possible downfalls.
Anything can fail if it’s hit with a big enough hammer, but Cerakote, if done correctly, is tough stuff.

Nothing is going to look like a traditional blueing, but some of the customers liked Socom Blue as a “blue” substitute. The color choice is virtually unlimited considering you can mix colors. Stainless can even be simulated.

Cerakote is great for all weather finishes, as well as masking damaged/repaired areas. Are you trying to revamp an old barn or truck gun? Kote it for resistance. Have an old GB win that has previously unknown welds or JB in places that blueing won’t take or hide? Kote over it and none will be the wiser.

Is it my favorite finish of all time? Absolutely not, but I think it’s worth having as an option and can be very beneficial in certain cases.

I have on Cerakoted Model 70 Classic (CRF) in 416 Rem (LH for m y son) Very impressed with it. Still have traditional blueing on m walnut stocked rifles.
I was in a gunsmith buddy’s shop six months or so ago and he and pulled a shotgun out of the safe. I looked at it, but really wasn’t that intrigued and handed back to him. He laughed. He said, “Can you believe that is cerakote?” That was the sole reason he went and got the shotgun. I don’t recall the color of the cerakote, but just in casual observation it passed as a decent blue. These products have come along way as far as aesthetics are concerned. They will never be confused with a deep salt blue, but are really good finishes.

They would be perfect for a working man’s 500 J. I just had to bring this back to the 500J discussion. :-). Apologies for the derail.

Anything can fail if it’s hit with a big enough hammer, but Cerakote, if done correctly, is tough stuff.

Nothing is going to look like a traditional blueing, but some of the customers liked Socom Blue as a “blue” substitute. The color choice is virtually unlimited considering you can mix colors. Stainless can even be simulated.

Cerakote is great for all weather finishes, as well as masking damaged/repaired areas. Are you trying to revamp an old barn or truck gun? Kote it for resistance. Have an old GB win that has previously unknown welds or JB in places that blueing won’t take or hide? Kote over it and none will be the wiser.

Is it my favorite finish of all time? Absolutely not, but I think it’s worth having as an option and can be very beneficial in certain cases.
You posted as I was typing. That was the color! Socom. Pretty close to a true blue in casual observation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BerndHunge

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com