4x vs 6x

I went with the Kahles Helia 1-5x 24i. It struck me as a good balance of eye relief, true 1x but with a little extra magnification. It is low weight but it has a little more length to help with mounting. Finally, it has very good glass and illumination. I like the #4 reticle because it is uncluttered.

Price was in the mid point.

Thank you all for your advice and input, I could not have made this impetuous purchase without you all :)

I went with the Kahles Helia 1-5x 24i. It struck me as a good balance of eye relief, true 1x but with a little extra magnification. It is low weight but it has a little more length to help with mounting. Finally, it has very good glass and illumination. I like the #4 reticle because it is uncluttered.

Price was in the mid point.

Thank you all for your advice and input, I could not have made this impetuous purchase without you all :)

you chose a wonderful optic that is perfect for your application. One I forgot about which seems to be the modern version of what they used to sell as the Swarovski Habicht but is now the Kahles. Congrats and good hunting!

you chose a wonderful optic that is perfect for your application. One I forgot about which seems to be the modern version of what they used to sell as the Swarovski Habicht but is now the Kahles. Congrats and good hunting!
That is great to hear and I really appreciate the comment. :)

An excellent choice. I love the #4 reticle. Just remember to keep the thing on 1X if you’re truly on the path of DG, especially after the first shot.

IMHO if you have a nice 416 Rigby and can shoot it well you’re half way there. Put a nice 1-6X Red Dot scope and now you have a one gun safari rifle. I recommend the Leupold VX6 1-6 Firedot, preferably an older one WITHOUT those damn turrets.
EDIT: I saw you got a 1-5X. Good enough!

416s are usually adorned with a 4x optic. It's got great light gathering and fast target acquisition. Usually you see the no longer made S&B and the Swaro Habicht as the preferred optics, although there is nothing wrong with a Swaro Z6 1-6x24 for that rifle as well.

416 Rigby rifles are overkill for plains game but in a one-gun safari they shoot quite flat and that 6x could open up doors for 200+ yard shots on Kudu, Eland, and Gemsbok or provide that extra bit of precision for a tough shot at close range from a blind. (e.g. Leopard and Croc)

Whether 4x or 6x, it is a dangerous game rifle so flawless scope mounting in a low or ultra low ring for rapid target acquisition is the most important thing. It has to come to your eye instantly or you've got a dangerous delay on your hands.

That is a very important point, a scope not mounted correclty can turn into a liability when you need rapid target acquisition. Forcing yourself to learn to shoot with both eyes open will increase your margin of error, but you still have to get the scope in the right place and you truly don't know the right place until you have practiced shooting in field conditions. You also need to make damn sure your face isn't going to eat the scope when you are shooting under pressure and from awkward positions. I would rather have a busted eyebrow at home than in the field trying to make a follow-up on a wounded animal.

I see way too many hunters locked-in on closing their non-dominate eye, it is a very hard habit to break, but it is worth the effort to do it.

Another vote for the Leupold VX6-1-6X24 Firedot scope. Put one on my 416 Rigby and it performed beautifully last year and it's packed right now waiting for the car to take me to the airport for flight to Jo'burg. I like that cranking it down to 1 makes it like a RMR red dot for close shots in heavy bush.

In all reality, you arent gonna see much difference between 4x and 6x. They simply arent that far apart. That said, the higher the magnification, the more the target will move. Objective diameter, glass quality, and paralax setting will make more difference.

I just noted the paralex is set for 150 yards. Do you think this would hamper the close shots on DG? I am inclined to think not but really don't know.
I'd look through one in a store or if someone has one. That parallax set at 150 is a HUGE deal breaker for close shots.

I originally put a Leupold VX6I 1-6X 24 in QD mounts on my 404. It was a bit too heavy and effected the rifle's balance. Swapped it for a Leupold VX3 1.5-5X20 - works fine, and the VX6 will be a back up scope for the 404.

I think that having all the CDS junk is totally unnecessary on a DG scope. it serves no purpose.

Pheroze, a lot of good advise has been given as to using a 1-6 power scope.

Something for you to consider, that no one has mentioned or I may have missed.

Because my eyes aren't as good as they use to be, I opted for a 2.5 - 8 x 30 scope for use on my .458WM. The higher power larger tube is more adjustable/adaptable to my older eyes for 100 - 150 yd shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieQuelp

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg