460 S&W hunting bullet

.45 colt hunter

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
IPSC
Hunted
RSA,Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Filand, Australia, Poland, USA Maine, Turkey
I am setting up a S&W 460 XVR for hunting in the Eastern Cape and now I cannot find any suitable bullets.
What I am looking for is i.e Barnes Buster 300/ 325 gr., Barnes XPB 275 gr., Hornady XTP Mag 300 gr., Swift A-frame 300 gr. or even some hard cast lead bullets in .452 diameter and wt. between 300 and 360 gr. I am not looking for extreme velocity as with the 200 gr. bullets, its more penetration and accuracy that is my goal.
I have visited all online stores I could find in RSA, but all are out of stock or do not have any of the brands mentioned. Can some of you dedicated reloaders help me locate where it would be possible to buy any hunting quality bullets. Can the online stores send bullets only ?

See Graf and Sons for some of the bullets in stock that you have listed as well as a Sierra bullet that may suit you.

Why not the Hornady XTP mag. Are they too soft ?
Is Graf and sons not a US supplier ? The problem is getting the right bullets in South Africa.
US companies will not export any components, for the time being, as i understand it.
Reloading components are very difficult to find in RSA. I managed to get my hands on some Hodgdon H110 and 200 460 S&W cases and 400 Large rifle primers. I just need the bullets.
I am actually living in Denmark and i am going to hunt with my friends in The Eastern Cape with the 460 XVR that i have funded . They do not reload, so it is up to me to sample the components and reloading tools in South Afrika via my friends. I got nearly everything except some good bullet and a Weigand scope base, to mount a leupold 2 or 4 X.
Jack weigand will not export his bases anymore and do not have any distributors anywhere outside the US, so thats another problem, i have to solve. I guess that is part of the fun of being able to use that big revolver.

Why not cast your own? With pistol bullets it will be easy and inexpensive. You can buy pre-mixed alloys to insure proper hardness for hunting.

I would not rule out the Sierra #8830 Sports Master 300g JSP (make sure you get the 4515 version and not the 458 version ) . Its a tough bullet that performs like a solid and needs the extra velocity that 460 S&W brings to the table.

I've used the Hornady 300 gr XTP Mag in a 454 Casull on kudu, impala and bushbuck. All shots were complete pass through.

Depending on what you're hunting, it may also be worth considering the Cutting Edge Bullets handgun offerings.

I wouldn't use hard cast lead above 1400 fps due to deforming badly on hitting bone or heavy muscle. Great at moderate velocities, but why waste 460 S&W capability.

If you can't get projectiles locally, try emailing Graf & Sons in the US. The change from ITAR to Commerce regulations has opened up what can be exported. Better to ask the question than miss out due to outdated info.

Thank you very much for the information on the bullets, i appreciate it. I will give Graf and Sons a call and hear if they will export bullets to South Africa or Europe. I doubt it, as i have recently tried to get some shotshell wads from Ballistic Products and they informed me that NO COMPONENTS are allowed to be exported outside the US ! Same goes for the Weigand mount i mentioned, they will not ship outside the US.

Matt.
I do cast my own bullets for the .454 Casull and i have had no disappointments with them on game, the largest being a Giraffe with a 370 gr LBT LFN. I have an alloy that is around 25 BHN and which is tough but not brittle. I will not expand , but may loose a bit of weight when hitting large bones, which is HUNTER 4752001 `s concern. I tend to agree with him that beyond 1400 fps. they might shatter. The 460 S&W i capable of much more velocity than that, but i could keep the vel. down a bit. When travelling with my own Freedom Arms Casull, i am allowed to bring ammo for it, but i has gotten too painfully difficult and too expensive to travel with firearms from Denmark to RSA. Travelling with components without the firearm and all the documents and licenses, is probably not an option.
3 hunting trips with my Casull in airline fees is 2000 US dollars. Thats why i have invested in a revolver that stays in South Africa and it set me back exactly 2000 US, so now i am looking for components in that country which so far has been unsuccessful.
The probably illegal solution, would be to bring my own cast gaschecked bullets in my luggage . A legal and more permanent solution would be to set up for casting bullets at the hunting lodge, Which means i have to bring all the equipment needed for casting sizing/lubing and my alloy with me from home. That would make my suitcase weigh a ton. I really hope that i can find bullets locally, so i don`t have to risk getting harassed by customs or the police in RSA.

Perhaps one of the South African monolithic bullet manufacturers can turn up a batch of what you need. Peregrine and GS custom come to mind. Claw makes 300g bonded 45 handgun bullets but in 454; I'd imagine you could bring a sizing die if they won't run a batch for you at 451.

Thanks Bert.
I will take a look at Peregrine, GS and Claw, the one i never heard about . Yeas i could bring a sizing die and some imperial sizing wax .
Had no idea that Peregrine and GS made handgun bullets. In the past i have had a few of them i rifle calibers. Very special bullets.

Thanks Bert.
I will take a look at Peregrine, GS and Claw, the one i never heard about . Yeas i could bring a sizing die and some imperial sizing wax .
Had no idea that Peregrine and GS made handgun bullets. In the past i have had a few of them i rifle calibers. Very special bullets.
I'm not sure if they make handgun bullets or not, just thinking if they are turning bullets one by one in a lathe, there isn't much barrier to entry on a new bullet. At least for a flat point non-expanding type- making a hollow point would require some extra equipment and testing.

I just looked up GS custom and they are all produced in the US, I cannot find anything on them in south Africa. The US based GS bullet manufacturer will only ship within the US.
Peregrine has a 260 gr "hogmaster" expanding hollowpoint monolithic bullet, that could be interesting.
Claw bullets have a .454 , 300 gr. bonded bullet as you mentioned and maybe it could be sized down to .4515 I will try to contact them and ask why the do them in .454 and could they maybe do them in .451
Thank you Bert you certainly gave me some options to research.

My experience with the factory 200 gr FTXs outta the .460 is that they are incredibly accurate, but a tad fragile for deer. I would suggest something heavier with more emphasis on penetration than that offered by the 200 gr FTX. IMHO, the factory 200 gr FTX would make a great varmint round.

Are you referring to the Hornady FTX Mag or the ordinary FTX ?
I too want a heavier bullet 300 - 370 gr. range, I do cast my own, but would prefer to get a flat nose solid or very strong bonded bullet in the same weight range. I am investigating Peregrine, Gs custom and Claw bullet from South Africa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?