.458 WM Identity?

I got back to the house and pulled up this thread on my computer so I could do more than a mobile app "drive by" inspection.

The rifle's custom work was done in West Germany. The stylized eagle over "N" in that shape was first used in June of 1971 through 1992 reunification.

The quilted shield proof mark indicates it was proofed/made in Munich. (First used in 1968)

I strongly believe based upon the orientation of the 372 in the same row of proof marks with the former, that the gun was proofed in West Germany, Munich, in March of 1972.

As to the 207 224 marking, if West Germans act anything like Austrians, East Germans, Nazis, or any other Germanic people and slice-in-time, I'd imagine it means it was the 207th gun at the Munich proof house in the month of March, 1972, and the 224 gun by this particular maker. Alternative interpretation would be the 207th gun at the proof house that month, assigned to maker #224. (e.g. in Austria each maker is assigned a two digit ID that is on all their guns)

The unique mark on the barrel is likely the maker's mark which does look like an amalgamation of F, W, and W in undetermined order. I'd poke around the German Gun Collector's Guild and ask if they know the name of this FWW, WFW, WWF, FWW, maker working in West Germany in the 1970s. I'm sure one of them has the maker's marks and would recognize it.
Great info. Any guesses what action would have been used? Interesting that all the maker ID marks were stamped on the barrel, something that could have been replaced at some point. I would have thought the action. When was 458 WM developed? Late sixties I thought.

Great info. Any guesses what action would have been used? Interesting that all the maker ID marks were stamped on the barrel, something that could have been replaced at some point. I would have thought the action. When was 458 WM developed? Late sixties I thought.

The 458 came about in 1956, its inaugural rifle was the pre-64 model 70 in which it was offered solely in the super-grade configuration. Expensive then. Expensive collector gun now if unmolested.

As to Frankonia, they made affordable, good quality sporting rifles, most often on reworked military actions. They are still in business today for the German domestic market: www.frankonia.de

Nice rifle for sure.
Thanks to rookhawk, I think my Waffen Frankonia .30-06 was made in 1956.
A Milsurp action wiped clean and WF-ized,
What say you rookhawk about this:

IMG_E2751.JPG
IMG_E2752.JPG
IMG_E2753.jpg
IMG_E2794.JPG
IMG_E2785.JPG
IMG_E2792.JPG

Might have come back from Germany about the time Elvis Presley was doing the G.I. Joe thing ?

See-through claw mounts, and a fixed 4X36 Waffen Frankonia scope, on a stock meant for iron sights,
might not be best on a .458 WinMag:

IMG_E2790.JPG
IMG_E2784.JPG
IMG_E2782.JPG
IMG_E2788.JPG
IMG_E2832.JPG

That old scope is dim compared to modern glass, but internals of German 4 reticle adjustment might be redeeming.
When tested with factory ammo it shot about 1.5" high and right-on for windage at 100 yards, 3 shots into about an inch. No scope adjustments made nor desired.
Might have held zero for decades, good vouch for Waffen Frankonia quality.

Nice rifle for sure.
Thanks to rookhawk, I think my Waffen Frankonia .30-06 was made in 1956.
A Milsurp action wiped clean and WF-ized,
What say you rookhawk about this:

View attachment 623375View attachment 623376View attachment 623377View attachment 623378View attachment 623379View attachment 623380

Might have come back from Germany about the time Elvis Presley was doing the G.I. Joe thing ?

Proofed at the ULM proof house (the antler proof means that, after 1952). I believe the 356 is March, 1956. The general style of the gun is consistent with those dates.

Back in the 1950s the Germans (enforced by US Forces) had very strict gun control. There were several makers working on or adjacent to US bases with the blessings of the local command. I’ve seen mausers such as this, but also a lot of Win70s bought at the PX and then transformed into stellar works of art. None are wildly valuable, but some can be extraordinarily good quality and quite beautiful. Yours looks like an attractive workhorse that should probably be hunted.

That old scope is dim compared to modern glass, but internals of German 4 reticle adjustment might be redeeming.
When tested with factory ammo it shot about 1.5" high and right-on for windage at 100 yards, 3 shots into about an inch. No scope adjustments made nor desired.
Might have held zero for decades, good vouch for Waffen Frankonia quality.

The 1.5” high at 100 yards is perfection. I wouldn’t adjust the reticles at all because they may be seized and you could break them. If you need to adjust windage, you can do that by loosening and tightening the rear scope ring base if it is off whatsoever without the need to mess with turrets.

Degreasing the scopes lenses and a meticulous cleaning may impress you with just how good the glass actually is.

That .458 WinMag may out-class my .30-06 in more ways than one,
but I do find my .30-06 an "attractive workhorse."
Well said, thanks, rookhawk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SamiraPara

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?