458 Winchester Reduced Load Info

Reaction score
I just purchased a Whitworth 458 Winchester off Gunbroker. I’m interested if anyone has any recipes and or powders that won’t need filler. Thanks for the info. I plan on using it on hogs until I can afford a buffalo hunt. I shoot at night with an AGM thermal was hoping to try it on the Whitworth. It will be impossible with full house loads. If the recoil is stiffer than 308 in an AR10 it won’t be feasible. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I tried some reduced loads that would allow my daughter to shoot mine. She shoots a 338 federal with 180 grain bullets loaded max and a 7mm Remington mag with 140 grain bullets. I never found any load that she could have shot. Sorry for the bad news.

A couple very mild, accurate loads you might try if you happen to have either of the powders (scarce now). One is Trail Boss w 400 or 405 gr jacketed flat nose bullets. Hodgdon had the instructions online (basically fill to bottom of bullet, cut back to 70% (not cut 70%) and work up from there). The other that has been very mild and very accurate for me w the same bullets is around 28 gr of IMR SR 4759. I used mag primers w both. I happened to have enough of both powders to still be going strong, but realize they are scarce to nonexistent now. Check Hodgdon and others for reduced and subsonic loads.

Final sugggestion would be something like that w lead bullets but I use the above (a lot) and defer to someone else on that.

I am currently working on light 458WM loads.
PM sent.

You may find this helpful:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StriderJr

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa