Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life Member, DSC, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Canada, RSA, USA, Zimbabwe
Morning, all.
Has anyone run across a maker of snap caps in 458 Lott? I'm looking for something true size/weight so I can practice reloads as well as dry firing.

If not, has anyone made their own? Probably quick enough to load up 5 bullets in brass, but what to use in the primer pockets?

Here is one idea.

Don't deprime a spent cartridge, top with a bullet and mark it with to indicate practice round.

For me is also a problem to find snap caps for 375...
However, for primer pockets they told me to use rubber from rubber pencil eraser.
I never tried. I am still looking for 375 snap caps. I will not dry fire till I find it.

Try eBay

Thanks, all. I actually found some on OpticsPlanet. Missed them on my initial sweep of the internet.

I found A zooms "2nds" account on Ebay and bought them for like $2 for a pair for my 458 lott, I have 8 I think.

No idea what was 2nds about them but I loved the deal.

Used them to really hash out the feeding on my CZ550, polishing and testing, polishing and testing etc...

For me is also a problem to find snap caps for 375...
However, for primer pockets they told me to use rubber from rubber pencil eraser.
I never tried. I am still looking for 375 snap caps. I will not dry fire till I find it.
I dry fire all my rifles, all my center fire rifles, rim fire are different some can some can't. My competition rifle has well over 20k rounds down range and well over 200k dry fires. All my center fire rifles have thousands of dry fires on them. I have never had any issues with any rifles.

Just bought these online at Hero Outdoors. shipped from Canada. took about 3 weeks to arrive. They had the best selection then but inventory seems very fluid.

IMG-2440.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made snap caps for my Mannlichers... mostly because you're not likely to find them.

To mark the cases, I drill holes in them. Then, they will never be confused, and it is 100% obvious that it's a dummy round.

For the primer pockets, I've used the eraser trick. It works well. I've also filled the pocket with a silicone rubber. That also works, but the primer will dent it, and so I'm not sure how effective that is. The eraser just bounces back. For my next trick, if I can find the right sized plug cutter, I'm going to try and drill out one of my hockey pucks. That should be just about perfect. I just need to get the size right.

I dry fire all my rifles, all my center fire rifles, rim fire are different some can some can't. My competition rifle has well over 20k rounds down range and well over 200k dry fires. All my center fire rifles have thousands of dry fires on them. I have never had any issues with any rifles.
+1. I've always dry fired my centerfires with no issues. Not even close to the extent you have, but nice to know you've had no problems.

Brandon has his but I offer wondered about making them.
First I heard of the rubber/eraser trick.

First thought was pouring polyurethane into the pockets but not sure I can buy it by the spoonful.

Perhaps insertion rubber maybe en a nylon board material might work.

Brandon has his but I offer wondered about making them.
First I heard of the rubber/eraser trick.

First thought was pouring polyurethane into the pockets but not sure I can buy it by the spoonful.

Perhaps insertion rubber maybe en a nylon board material might work.
Put some Vegemite in the primer pocket and let it harden. After 50K dry firings, you'll probably have to replace it?

Put some Vegemite in the primer pocket and let it harden. After 50K dry firings, you'll probably have to replace it?

Ha! Vegemite… that’s hilarious.

I used a hot glue gun for my primer pockets after ruining three or four perfectly good pencils for their erasers. If you want to duplicate the heft of a charge, shoot some glue into the case too before you seat the bullet. I’ve also painted the glue in the primer pocket for identification but that made a sort of hard coating on what was a rubbery faux primer.

Vegemite, we are famous for it!

I thought @African Sporting Creations had some big bore accessories. I can not remember where I bought my snap caps and cleaning rod from. Someone will chime in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meiyejiujie262

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?