458 Lott instead of 416 Rigby?

I went from signing up on AH, 2 years ago from, having only a 300WM, to currently a 375h&h, a 416rigby and a 500NE. Gets addictive :)

At 1000$ for a 458Lott, you cannot go wrong

I have a few 375 rifles and an AHR CZ550 458 Lott. Love the Lott and I don’t think the recoil is as bad as a lot of people think. I almost bought a 416 Rigby a few months ago because I kind of always wanted one. But then I got to thinking that the 375 rifles and the Lott cover everything and the Rigby has such a fat case and most rifles only hold two or three rounds down while my CZ Lott holds five down. I didn’t buy the Rigby and don’t regret my decision.

If you can actually get the CZ Lott for $1k or less, we shouldn’t even be having this conversation. You should have bought it by now! Even if it jams (CZ Lott is known for this), you can have it smoothed up.

Just point out that you’re asking a bunch of hunting and gunnutz if you should buy another rifle. If you have to ask - the answer is yes!

Makes me want to buy my first big bore. Currently, my biggest cartridge is only a 300 PRC. Looking at my first safari too as well as a 375 or 416 ruger or 375 H&H.

Just point out that you’re asking a bunch of hunting and gunnutz if you should buy another rifle. If you have to ask - the answer is yes!

Makes me want to buy my first big bore. Currently, my biggest cartridge is only a 300 PRC. Looking at my first safari too as well as a 375 or 416 ruger or 375 H&H.
I can tell you this, I love my model 70 375H&H and can shoot her more than I want to pay for but my friend in FL has a Mossberg 375 Ruger he says slaps the snot out of him.

I can tell you this, I love my model 70 375H&H and can shoot her more than I want to pay for but my friend in FL has a Mossberg 375 Ruger he says slaps the snot out of him.
Interesting. Probably more rifle fit/weight more than anything, but you’ve got to love the classic 375 H&H especially for ammo availability.

The patriot is WAYYY too light to fire a 300 grain bullet at 2600fps. Some people stating they weighed it at 7lbs 6 oz. That combined with the fact that they likely didnt make the butt wider and longer to spread recoil energy out explains a lot.

The patriot is WAYYY too light to fire a 300 grain bullet at 2600fps. Some people stating they weighed it at 7lbs 6 oz. That combined with the fact that they likely didnt make the butt wider and longer to spread recoil energy out explains a lot.
He wouldn't even shoot his until he put it in a Boyd's stock so I imagine the cheap factory plastic stock would be horrible. He called me when he picked it up and said "this s.o.b. is gonna hurt!" Lol

He wouldn't even shoot his until he put it in a Boyd's stock so I imagine the cheap factory plastic stock would be horrible. He called me when he picked it up and said "this s.o.b. is gonna hurt!" Lol
It's gotta be bad design or something... or it's still too light. My Ruger Guide gun in 375 ruger is actually pretty pleasant, even with full tilt 300 grain woodleigh weldcores at 2550fps (20" barrel).

I have a Lott getting a haircut new tire and some lead in her azz. It kicks so much harder than my 416 rigby that I sent it out to get heavier and softer on the miming end.
My rigby is actually really fun to shoot.
I'm working on a 404 J project that could make both obsolete.

I have a Lott getting a haircut new tire and some lead in her azz. It kicks so much harder than my 416 rigby that I sent it out to get heavier and softer on the miming end.
My rigby is actually really fun to shoot.
I'm working on a 404 J project that could make both obsolete.
What is it about that 404 Jeffrey that everybody loves so much?

I knew I wanted something bigger than my 375 so when I got to researching I found that the 404Jeffery had a long and productive history through out Africa, a history of good terminal performance on all types of dangerous game, etc…. Will it do anything that the 416s or 458s won’t, no , not at all.

Felt recoil is supposed to not be as much as the 458s which I thought was a benefit. I will say that acquiring ammo has been a bit of a challenge but I’ve been able to get a supply of 400 grain A frames and 400 grain Barnes Banded solids that should last me the rest of my African hunting. I was able to take a bull hippo with my 404J in August of this year and was impressed with the performance. Would I have been able to do the same with my 375 H&H, probably but I felt better using the bigger cartridge. I plan in using it next year for a buffalo and again in 2025 for buffalo and elephant. I had never even heard of the cartridge before joining AH. I am currently debating getting a 416 Rem Mag but just can’t seem to justify the cost of another rifle with already owning two 375s and a 404J.

As far as the fire side chants go, I didn’t get that memo when I joined the 404J club.

What is it about that 404 Jeffrey that everybody loves so much?

The 404 has an extensive history in Africa, much more so than the .416, so it has the nostalgia factor going for it.

I bypassed the 458 Lott and went the 450 Rigby and love it.

I knew I wanted something bigger than my 375 so when I got to researching I found that the 404Jeffery had a long and productive history through out Africa, a history of good terminal performance on all types of dangerous game, etc…. Will it do anything that the 416s or 458s won’t, no , not at all.

Felt recoil is supposed to not be as much as the 458s which I thought was a benefit. I will say that acquiring ammo has been a bit of a challenge but I’ve been able to get a supply of 400 grain A frames and 400 grain Barnes Banded solids that should last me the rest of my African hunting. I was able to take a bull hippo with my 404J in August of this year and was impressed with the performance. Would I have been able to do the same with my 375 H&H, probably but I felt better using the bigger cartridge. I plan in using it next year for a buffalo and again in 2025 for buffalo and elephant. I had never even heard of the cartridge before joining AH. I am currently debating getting a 416 Rem Mag but just can’t seem to justify the cost of another rifle with already owning two 375s and a 404J.

As far as the fire side chants go, I didn’t get that memo when I joined the 404J club.
Dude they didn't invite you to the festival of fire and virgins?! I think that entitles you to a free case of ammo and they have to pay for your next taxidermy bill. I haven't looked at the 404 but with the number of guys in here that are in love with it (and that festival does sounds fun lol) I may look more into it. I like the old African rounds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurus4d

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg