458 express 2 1/2 what exactly is it?

HollandFan

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post I am looking for some knowledge here. I just recently purchased a custom rifle but engraved in the barrel it says ( 458 EXP. 2 1/2 ) I am not sure what this means to be honest if anybody can give me some hindsight on this that would be great thank you so much much I understand that the 458 Winchester magnum has a case length of 2 1/2 inches and the 458 express has a case length of 3 inches so here lies my confusion

I find no mention of it in my books. Perhaps a wildcat or just another way of stamping .458 Win mag, sounds more exotic.
Drop a .458 Win case in it and see if it fits, or have a chamber cast made. It may be an obsolete black powder round.

As above, I would do a chamber cast before any attempt to shoot it, if you don’t know how to, get a smith to. It well may be a 458 wind bag (yes, intentional pun) or something else that may chamber a 458 case, but not like it, in a nasty way
Gumpy
I’m guessing you don’t like the 458WinMag :LOL:

thankyou for the fast replies I ordered some Cerrosafe for doing a chamber casting Iv had a rem 700 in 458 win mag I unfortunately sold it so if that’s what it is I won’t be to worried being that I still have all the reloading supplies for it

thankyou for the fast replies I ordered some Cerrosafe for doing a chamber casting Iv had a rem 700 in 458 win mag I unfortunately sold it so if that’s what it is I won’t be to worried being that I still have all the reloading supplies for it
When you work out what it is, let us know. Enquiring minds and all that….
Gumpy

I have one that I built, I just find the "discussions" on 458 Lott/waters vs wind bag amusing :giggle:
Gumpy
Your being a bit harsh on the .458 Gumpy, did you get run over by a Dugga Boy?

I thought I all those .458 issues were resolved with modern powders etc.

@Badboymelvin used to say the .458wm was his absolute best favourite cartridge and he would never part with it.
Along comes the Custom .425express his mate built and the .458 was put on ice.

Maybe Russ will chime in on what the “Express” cartridge is or his gunsmith might know the history of express cartridges.

I don’t know and I’m not reading to much into it as I believe the .280 rem has been called different things including. 280express.

Your being a bit harsh on the .458 Gumpy, did you get run over by a Dugga Boy?

I thought I all those .458 issues were resolved with modern powders etc.

@Badboymelvin used to say the .458wm was his absolute best favourite cartridge and he would never part with it.
Along comes the Custom .425express his mate built and the .458 was put on ice.

Maybe Russ will chime in on what the “Express” cartridge is or his gunsmith might know the history of express cartridges.

I don’t know and I’m not reading to much into it as I believe the .280 rem has been called different things including. 280express.
Been using the .458Win for over 40yrs, sometimes with even older ammunition & it didn’t have any issues, only in people’s minds & Dicks writing fictional books/story's about others fictional hunting exploits !

I believe the .280Rem was for a time called the 7mm Express .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrianneBar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.