450 TSX in .458 WM

Yea that’s interesting. I have 350, 450 and 500 grain .458 TSX but I’ve never seen a 400 grain. Seems odd.
A 400 grain TSX has been made fairly recently. BUT, it is under an agreement/contract with Buffalo Bore Ammunition. It is loaded in their 458 Winchester. I think at one time they were planning on loading it in the 458 Lott also.

I believe there is a similar agreement/contract regarding the 350 grain TSX FN that Buffalo Bore loads for its 45-70 ammo.

So neither are available across the counter.

That’s good to know. I know the owner of BBA.

I'll be using 450g Atomic29 projectiles at around 2400fps in my 450 Rigby when chasing Cape Buff next July with Tsala Safaris.

450Gr Barnes TSX fired out of a .458 Winchester Magnum is serious business for Cape buffalo or hippopotamus.

What powder are you using?

I only tested 3 rounds of 300 grain JHP loads out of my 458WM charged with RL7. I only did 3 because the COAL at 2.93", per Hornady Reloading Manual, is too short to function properly in my Interarms Mark X. The bullets would not chamber from the magazine.

I also tested Barnes Banded 500gr Solids and Woodleigh 500gr PPSN using IMR 4227 and H335 respectively, both loads produced an average of 2000+ fps MV.

I'll be using the Barnes and Woodleigh loads for buffalo next year. I'm looking for a PG recipe for PG ie warthog, bushpig.

Has member used cast 405gr bullets in their 458WM?
In the Lott: IMR3031 (Note: To get the banded solids to have the same point p.o.i., I had to reduce the charge by three grains.)

In the Lott: IMR3031 (Note: To get the banded solids to have the same point p.o.i., I had to reduce the charge by three grains.)

Thanks for the information.

I probably should have picked up some IMR3031 yesterday. But since I was using RL7 and still testing powders and loads for the 22 Hornet, I just picked up a jug of each RL7 and lilgun some 50gr and 45gr 22 Hornet bullets, 100 CT pack of Cheddite primers, and a Garmin chronograph from MidSouth.

Any more powders and my reloading area will need expanding. It already looks like a powder factory and ammunition plant. Though I do need to build another bench to set up 2 more presses

I think Barnes missed the mark by not offering a .458" 400gr TSX. It would be a more ideal weight for the 458 WM and would be a solid choice for the 458 Lott.

As it stands I personally would not use the Barnes TSX for the 458 WM.
Your point is well taken..... note that those that use the TSX extended the overall length of the cartridge or are using a Lott. When I brought the 458 out to 3.6", both the 500 Banded and TSX achieved 2100-2200 fps. Even the 450 is really too long for the standard, and volume limited, 458 Win Mag. A 400 grain gives up too much sectional density for me. Coming full circle, as A-Square did in their bullet selection, they went with the tried and true formula... 450 Nitro Express 480 grain bullet. The British proof barrels were longer and so there was more velocity than in rifles... so a genuine 2150 fps is easy these days.

What powder are you using?

I only tested 3 rounds of 300 grain JHP loads out of my 458WM charged with RL7. I only did 3 because the COAL at 2.93", per Hornady Reloading Manual, is too short to function properly in my Interarms Mark X. The bullets would not chamber from the magazine.

I also tested Barnes Banded 500gr Solids and Woodleigh 500gr PPSN using IMR 4227 and H335 respectively, both loads produced an average of 2000+ fps MV.

I'll be using the Barnes and Woodleigh loads for buffalo next year. I'm looking for a PG recipe for PG ie warthog, bushpig.

Has member used cast 405gr bullets in their 458WM?
I used Benchmark since it is one of the extreme powders from Hodgdon. Good burn rate and temp insensitive. As others here have also pointed out.... lengthen the cartridge if you can. My Ruger No. 1 and Win 70 could gobble up a 3.6 AOL cartridge without problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zacharoo13

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available