.450 Dakota RSM

rhoward252

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hello All,

This RSM converted to .450 Dakota recently sold on a popular sales site. I should have bought it, but didn't. Obviously, this is custom barrel work. Does anyone recognize this work? Or do you have a suggestion for a quality smith that could replicate this re-bore? I own several RSMs and would consider converting one, as has been done here. I would rather not replace the original barrel, so I would only be interested in a re-bore. Thank you.

pix965620431.jpg
pix817042812.jpg
pix473461610.jpg
pix756636371.jpg
pix691849610.jpg
pix401253472.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering why you might feel it's custom barrel work?
The easiest route would be to take a RSM in 458Lott have it re-chambered to 450 Dakota/Rigby.
Have an Rsm 416 rigby mag follower and Extracor fitted, also the bolt face might need some work. I'm sure a good gunsmith can get this done for you. I know I'm over simplifying it but those are the basics.

Hello SWARA, and thank you for the reply. I was told by another party that this was originally a .375 re-bored to accommodate the .450D, but I think that your suggestion is more than likely what actually was done here. Given that the .450 wasn't a factory offering for the RSM, I assumed that this was a custom job on a .375 barrel but clearly your statement makes more sense. I have a lot to learn.......

I'd question why go to a Dakota cartridge? Brass is almost a rarity, factor ammo even more so. I'd jump to Swara's favourite cartridge; the 450 Rigby if I wanted to "improve' an RSM, or alternatively, a 450 (African) Express.

Geoff, you know me too well. The 450 rigby is indeed my favorite .
I have your norma 550gr solids and softs with me in TZ along with some hotter handloads of 500gr Barnes.

...In 1998 I had a Ruger RSM .416 Rigby rebored to .450 Rigby. Cliff LaBounty Precision Reboring in WA did the work.

It seems it’s a toss up between re-chambering a .458 , keeping the barrel, and opening the bolt-face, vs reboring a .416 Rigby and be done.

I’d almost opt for the latter. A .375 H&H or .416 Rem is the most work, read margin for error.

What happened to Geoff Broom’s .450 Dakota? Does Russ shoot it now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearline33

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia