450/400 ammo supply?

Looks like I hit the jackpot today. I went into a local hole in the wall gunshop and they had 6 boxes of Hornady 450/400 nitro. 4 boxes DGX and 2 boxes FMJ Round nose. I bought them all.

I checked in Canada, just out of curiosity, and found some in stock - a couple boxes of Hornady DGX Bonded at Prophet River Firearms and a bunch of Kynoch at Ellwood Epps. Not sure if that is the old vintage or newly made Kynoch ammunition. Either way, there is some .450-400 3" for sale in stores in Canada anyway. I'm glad I have plenty enough for my own purposes and don't need any more. Good luck in your search Kevin.

There is absolutely no .450/400 ammo for sale in the US right now. I have new barrels for my Kgun coming and I’m scrambling to get some bought on Gunbroker. It is selling for $200-300/box. other than Hornady I am not sure if anyone else is loading it. My custom loader made me two boxes and that was all the brass he had.
I heard a rumor that Hornady is going to really increase ammo production. Who knows. The hoarding sucks as someone like me just needs a few boxes to practice with and hunt not 50 boxes!
Philip
I picked up 6 boxes if you don't manage to get it off Gunbroker let me know. I'm in California and don't know about shipping ammo from here though.

I picked up 6 boxes if you don't manage to get it off Gunbroker let me know. I'm in California and don't know about shipping ammo from here though.
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.21.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.21.39 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.21.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.21.49 AM.png
    791.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.22.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.22.00 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Can anyone recommend a good cast bullet for plinking?

I have had great success using 210 .41 calibre pistol bullets in a Jeffery 450/400 3”. I used to shoot rabbits out to around 50 yards with them. Less rooting around than cast bullets. No recoil either.

Hi @RockSlinger404 , I got onto it right away, but despite showing in stock I tried 1 and it says exceeds stock level. Oh well!
Perhaps its just a temporary glitch, just now as I write this I was able to add all three items to a cart without any messages about exceeding stock level:
hornady.jpg

"I have had great success using 210 .41 calibre pistol bullets in a Jeffery 450/400 3”. I used to shoot rabbits out to around 50 yards with them. Less rooting around than cast bullets. No recoil either."

I used those same bullets when I had a 450-400 and killed deer and pigs with them. Some of the deer past 100 yards.

Hornady is finally getting their DGX ammo to market. I got a few alerts this morning for in stock notifications for the 450-400 DGX ammo. I have been looking for this for about 2 years now. I got my order in earlier for 100 rounds and that should last me a long, long time. I know this doesn't help our friends in Africa any time soon, but check out ammoseek for vendors that have it now for those state side. Place called gunzonedeals has the best prices though and its not listed on ammoseek. They are good to go, bought from them a lot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan6696535

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia