45-70 for RSA?

I don't own a 45-70 so I cant comment on its effectiveness and I have only been to Africa twice so I'm no safari expert but based on what I have seen the more flexiable your rifle is the better off you'll be. In my experience the bushveld allways buts up againt more open terrain providing the hunter with close and longer range shots. Some hunters find that flexibality in a 7x57 with its long, sleek 170 grain bullets, others prefer a 30-06 or 300WM with a 180 grain bullet, the really smart hunters use a 35 Whelen with a 225 grain Accubond or a Barnes TSX bullet. There is no question with the right bullet the 45-70 is a good round for PG under a 150 yards, after 150 yards their are alot better option avaiable.

Where I hunt, shots are pretty typically around 50 or 60 yards. Doesn't mean I don't practice at 200-250. And I do because it's fun. 100 yards target practice, even with 45-70, is kinda boring to me because there is no challenge in it at all. For deer and pigs, my rifle is zeroed at 120 yards, and gets me to about 165 or 170 without having to adjust for holdover. The larger the game, the more that stretches out. And as I indicated above, heavy 45-70 bullets have more momentum than any 225-250 gr .338 or .358 bullet out to 200 yards (probably a good bit further, but that's as far as I did the calculations). Nobody doubts the efficacy of 338 WM or 35 Whelen.

I'm as guilty as anyone of looking at KE, but for penetration, momentum appears to be the king.

I would also add that any hunter who has never even practiced past 100 yards probably shouldn't go to Africa, no matter what rifle they're carrying. And I see more than a few guys at the range struggling for 2MOA at 100 yards with their nice bolt guns.

Interesting results from Iraqveteran8888's "What is a Brush Gun" video

Last edited:
From my perspective, asking about 45/70 in Africa makes me think inexperience. I’m not sure how it is in Australia but in the North East United States 45/70 is a popular deer gun, but often (from what Ive seen) these hunters have very limited experience outside their home area and not many other rifles. They think a 45/70 will go through any brush and have very limited understanding of bullets because they only hunt a couple times a year. The average shot on a deer is 50-70 yards and maybe you can harvest a couple a year during a short season. So when I see a post about 45/70 I often think they don’t recognize a difference from local hunting. This post didn’t start by asking about 45/70, but I think if a person would start out a post about 45/70 in Africa with their bullet testing, scope choice, practice ranges, anything to demonstrate an understanding of its limitations and what they are getting into they would receive a much more positive response.
@375Fox
I just finish reading a story in one of our hunting publications called Hunting with the 45-70. The gent uses it on pigs to Buffalo and explains the use of various bullets for game. It was a pretty good and practical look at the use and limitations of the cartridge. Yes some look at it in the way you suggest but on the whole hunters ate usually understand their cartridges.
Bob

Bob said "but on the whole hunters usually understand their cartridges."
May I add "and their rifles" especially if they spend the $$$ and time to travel to Africa to hunt.

@sgt_zim... That was an entertaining video. Thanks for sharing.

My thoughts, after watching it...

I've never really had much buy-in on the "brush gun" idea, and I say that as someone with multiple lever guns in .35 Remington and .45-70. I get this was just to try and verify a long standing school of thought, and he provided all the appropriate caveats, but for me it comes down to you're not shooting through brush anyway, or at least you shouldn't be, so it's a moot issue. Work for the open shot; don't comprise. If it's a matter of reassurance for a single errant branch? OK... if that provides you with some level of peace of mind.

A couple of unrelated items, at least to the central point. He was entertaining to watch; I'd watch more. And I still want to own a .444 someday. :p

I think you and I agree 110%, on the .45-70. I know for me it was absolutely the right choice for that portion of my African hunt I selected it for. I worked to find the right load, practiced like a mad fiend, consulted with my PH about expectations and conditions, embraced the limitations of choosing it, followed his directions to the letter, and experienced success. I would absolutely do it again. But I think all of the same is true, or should be, irrespective of what we hunt with. I still have friends who are dubious of the gummi-tips in my .338 Marlin. Heck, I had reservations at first. After 8 bull moose, as many caribou, and now 8 PG species... nope. No reservations. Know your rifle. Know your ammo. Know your animals. Know your limitations. Which all sounds so horribly banal... even when the rifle is a .45-70. :E Celebrate:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarilynnWi

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.