44 mag suppressed??

Why Suppresed? 44mags in pistol or rifle form don't kick that much

Just tried to look on GB....but as usual for some reason it blocks me for security reasons....happens every time :E Shrug:
I check on their value thru GB every few months and glad I bought mine years ago (even though I’ve never used it). As with the Remington 760 there is a loyal collector following for the Ruger .44 Carbine

Have you ever shot supressed?

I find this question is asked by people who have never had the joy using one
Dchum, I’ve also “never had the joy” and while I might like one for a HG target shooting - can’t stand the look of them especially on a rifle ....big clumsy beer can adding 6” plus to my barrel. I do admire the marketing genius that has made them so popular in the past 10 years, how did we ever hunt without them? Actually, maybe I’m afraid to try one because then I might like it and go out and buy 10 !!

Dchum, I’ve also “never had the joy” and while I might like one for a HG target shooting - can’t stand the look of them especially on a rifle ....big clumsy beer can adding 6” plus to my barrel. I do admire the marketing genius that has made them so popular in the past 10 years, how did we ever hunt without them? Actually, maybe I’m afraid to try one because then I might like it and go out and buy 10 !!
The marketing genuis? I don’t see suppressor ads anywhere in the outdoor world!!! They still seem niche in my mind. At least here in the states.

I hear you. Most rifles weren’t designed with having suppressor attached in mind so I get what you mean!

But yes… your last sentence is correct. Keep your wallet safe then haha

The marketing genuis? I don’t see suppressor ads anywhere in the outdoor world!!! They still seem niche in my mind. At least here in the states.

I hear you. Most rifles weren’t designed with having suppressor attached in mind so I get what you mean!

Dchum, no adds? They now appear on almost every hunting show and the “host” will brag about their benefits blah blah blah, and just seeing it gets into the viewers mind “I need one too” along with every other gadget or “product placement” inserted into the hunting show etc.. I’m Not implying that suppressors are a gadget - no doubt they cut down noise and there are some benefits to that (poaching in Yellowstone or Central Park?)....Kidding as I’m sure most are used legally and ethically . But for me, while they might serve a purpose, there is No need.

I've gotten 3 magazines in the last month with articles in them about suppressors. Even the most recent NRA"s American Hunter magazine has a add on the cover that says "BUY ONE SILENCER GET ONE FREE" from Silencer Central

Hearing loss is a real thing. I could see where suppressor could/should be required, especially for young hunters.

It’s a much better experience overall. The next step is trying subsonic suppressed hunting!

Suppressors are not legal in my state, so I just use ear pro when hunting. I know a lot of people will tell you that you dont have time to fidgit with ear pro when hunting, but I've never missed a shot opportunity because of it.

Actually, maybe I’m afraid to try one because then I might like it and go out and buy 10 !!

This is the real problem..

I used suppressors a few times a billion years ago in the military and in law enforcement.. but they werent nearly as prevalent back then as they are now..

I never really saw or understood a hunting application for them.. shooting a single round at an animal it doesnt really matter how much recoil there is.. etc..etc..

and then I got spoiled on a hunt in South Africa where using a 7x57 with a suppressor was an absolute dream..

so I talked myself into getting a 30 cal can for my 308...

and spoiled myself further..

and now I've got a 458 can in jail waiting to be released.. and am currently shopping for another 30 cal can..

before its over with Im going to have more invested in suppressors than I do in rifles lol..

Im officially addicted..

This is the real problem..

I used suppressors a few times a billion years ago in the military and in law enforcement.. but they werent nearly as prevalent back then as they are now..

I never really saw or understood a hunting application for them.. shooting a single round at an animal it doesnt really matter how much recoil there is.. etc..etc..

and then I got spoiled on a hunt in South Africa where using a 7x57 with a suppressor was an absolute dream..

so I talked myself into getting a 30 cal can for my 308...

and spoiled myself further..

and now I've got a 458 can in jail waiting to be released.. and am currently shopping for another 30 cal can..

before its over with Im going to have more invested in suppressors than I do in rifles lol..

Im officially addicted..

Which can is your favorite for the 30 cal?

Look at the Thunderbeast Fly45 or Silencerco Hybrid 45 for a suppresor. The Hybrid can be used on magnums but weighs twice as much as the Fly45. The Fly45 is rated up to 45/70 or 308win and is all titanium and is modular as a short can or long can.

100% Fly45 so well built so many options in a very light package.

I have shot many competitions and seen suppressors get in the way, come loose, and other little problems. I swore them off. Then I decided to purchase a few to run on hunting rigs for the kiddos. We'll after one range trip two more were purchased. Then a few more and a few more and let's say I'm well over 10. I would want all my rifles to have cans. It is a much more enjoyable experience shooting. My only regret, I didn't do it sooner.

What is your goal for the can? Different cans for different applications.

100% agree

For me the YHM Resonator K has been excellent… short, light, inexpensive, and durable…

Not super quiet.. but great for hunting..brings the sound down enough that shooting my 18” bbl 308 rem 600 to reasonable inside a blind…

And does an excellent job at recoil reduction… makes shooting that little 6lb gun similar to shooting a 300blk…

I have just always wanted a 44 mag rifle. It really fills that caliber gap I have also. Coming from a guy that only rifle hunts whitetail with a 300 win mag I just don’t like smaller calibers.
@Travis2282
We used to have the Ruger 96-44 lever action and the ruger 10-44 semi auto in Australia and those that had them loved them until our govt took away our simis.
Still out there in both configurations but very expensive if you can find one.
Bob

Hearing loss is a real thing. I could see where suppressor could/should be required, especially for young hunters.

It’s a much better experience overall. The next step is trying subsonic suppressed hunting!
Wildwilderness, buy and use a suppressor to reduce Hearing Loss?? Of course it will help but better and even more effective are “Foam ear plugs” for about 5 cents and No ATF permit required. I’m not challenging the benefit of Suppressors and not arguing that they lower noise and have some slight hunting benefits in limited circumstances - it’s only that there is No Need.....just a “want” and that’s fine. As far as subsonic - I’ve already got a slingshot to cover that “New Trend”. (These are just my ‘grumpy’ opinions as I am quickly falling out of step with the younger gadget focused hunters)

Wildwilderness, buy and use a suppressor to reduce Hearing Loss?? Of course it will help but better and even more effective are “Foam ear plugs” for about 5 cents and No ATF permit required. I’m not challenging the benefit of Suppressors and not arguing that they lower noise and have some slight hunting benefits in limited circumstances - it’s only that there is No Need.....just a “want” and that’s fine. As far as subsonic - I’ve already got a slingshot to cover that “New Trend”. (These are just my ‘grumpy’ opinions as I am quickly falling out of step with the younger gadget focused hunters)

Have you spent any time shooting anything suppressed? By reading your post I'm thinking that you have not. As someone who was not impressed with suppressors myself. When I actually did spend some time with them, it quickly changed my opinion. It is BS that we have not only have a tax stamp, we also have to wait 8+ months for one. Either way I went from none to over a dozen in less than 1.5 years. They are a much bigger benefit than just hearing.

They cut out the concussion, if you were shooting a rifle with a brake going from that to a can will cut out the blast. Wonderful tool for new shooters, if you shoot on your own properties it is less disturbing for the neighbors, when culling animals it is less traumatic for the other animals (think about very expensive deer).

Those are just a few benefits that a notice besides the fact it saves your hearing and makes shooting a much more enjoyable experience. My .02

Have you spent any time shooting anything suppressed? By reading your post I'm thinking that you have not. As someone who was not impressed with suppressors myself. When I actually did spend some time with them, it quickly changed my opinion. It is BS that we have not only have a tax stamp, we also have to wait 8+ months for one. Either way I went from none to over a dozen in less than 1.5 years. They are a much bigger benefit than just hearing.

They cut out the concussion, if you were shooting a rifle with a brake going from that to a can will cut out the blast. Wonderful tool for new shooters, if you shoot on your own properties it is less disturbing for the neighbors, when culling animals it is less traumatic for the other animals (think about very expensive deer).

Those are just a few benefits that a notice besides the fact it saves your hearing and makes shooting a much more enjoyable experience. My .02
Inline6, Yes, I have had several opportunities to try suppressors on both rifle and handgun - they were “fun” and I enjoyed shooting them, with and without ear protection, especially enjoyed them on handguns. For target shooting they seemed fine. On a handgun, clumsy and adds barrelength that changes the feel and balance of the HG which requires an adjustment and getting use to - also requires different sights and forget about caring one concealed (if that’s even legal). On a rifle, fine at the range but the thought of Hunting and having a “beer can” at the end of my 24” beautifully blued rifle rifle, with high grade wood stock, is Not for me. It takes a fine classic rifle and makes it look like a cartoon toy.....fine for an AR which already has “no graceful classic lines” but an abomination on any classic or custom wood stock rifle. Maybe for situations of high volume shooting (prairie dogs or a cull hunt) but unnecessary for big game. The majority of big game hunting ends in “one shot”, sure there are times two hunters are together, get up on a herd of elk or couple of mule deer - there are those scenarios that can be marketed to convince some that 200 years of effective traditional rifles Now need suppressors....but I’m a hard sell. As far as protecting my hearing - that’s one of the “marketing sales pitches” and while it’s true it is also heavily emphasized to get States to allow them to be used for hunting (lots of $$$ involved lobbying to get States to over turn laws restricting suppressors). Of course if you shoot a lot without protection - Hearing Loss is likely, but there is No valid study that ever measured hearing loss due to a few rifle shots a year, and if one is that concerned - wear plugs or noise cancelling adjustable headphones - that amplify or cut out sound. To be clear, despite my criticism, I do not think they are bad or unsportsmanlike and fine with people that like to hunt with them - we All have our own reasons for using the equipment we choose. But if I really need “quiet” I’ll Use a bow (and even that sound spooks game). Just so you know what you’re dealing with — Suppressors are in the “middle” of my list of new hunting “gimmicks “ that are nice but Not really needed - along with “camo clothing, scent control sprays & products, etc... plus, I just like being disagreeable & having friendly debates...it’s how I have some fun and also occasionally learn “I might be wrong”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosSpin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg