44 mag suppressed??

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am thinking about getting a suppressed brush gun for whitetail hunting. Shots would be under 100 yds and would possibly be used by my kids in the future. I’m not big on AR platforms so would like to stick with a bolt gun. Does anyone have experience hunting with a 44 mag? Looking hard at the ruger m77 which is already threaded. I also know nothing about suppressors. What would be the best for this.
Thanks, Travis

I am thinking about getting a suppressed brush gun for whitetail hunting. Shots would be under 100 yds and would possibly be used by my kids in the future. I’m not big on AR platforms, so I would like to stick with a bolt gun. Does anyone have experience hunting with a 44 mag? Looking hard at the ruger m77 which is already threaded. I also know nothing about suppressors. What would be the best for this.
Thanks, Travis

I have owned a number of 44 mag carbines. They will kill deer much more adeptly to 150 yards than most people realize. When I was hunting on Anticosti Island, my dad took a deer out about 120, and it dropped like it was hit by lightning. Through and through with a 240 grain XTP at about 1750fps. I would limit my shots to 125, though, just because bullet drops becomes an issue. Suppressors are completely illegal where I live, so I can't help with that, but I can emphatically endorse the .44 mag carbine as an awesome short-range deer bear gun. With 300 grain hard casts at 1350-1400 fps it will punch stem to stern through the biggest deer you come across.

I haven't used a rifle in .44 mag but I have shot a number of mule deer with a .44 mag in both a revolver and a T/C Contender with a 14" barrel.

I mostly used 240 gr Hornady soft points that I loaded. It makes a great short range deer round.

Look at the Thunderbeast Fly45 or Silencerco Hybrid 45 for a suppresor. The Hybrid can be used on magnums but weighs twice as much as the Fly45. The Fly45 is rated up to 45/70 or 308win and is all titanium and is modular as a short can or long can.

YHM R45 is a good option as well… inexpensive, compact, durable, and is also rated up to 45-70…

Look at SRT Arms Camp Verde AZ
Doug takes the Ruger 77/44 and makes an
Integral suppressor for it. We sell several a year he makes.

That would make a pretty cool east TX piney woods hog hammer…

Out of curiosity why the 44mag? I would think a 357 would yield similar results but give the option for 38 practice or the 300blk for quiet and similar distances. I love a 44 mag but why does it stand out to you?

Since CD24 mentioned .357, I would like to throw .41 mag into the hat. I have not owned one in years, but the two that I did own one was a Ruger Single action and the other was a S&W model 58. I could be wrong on the model on the S&W.

Ruger deerstalker would be awesome if you could get it threaded.
I had a chance to buy a couple of those when Ruger was still making the back in the 70's. I'm still kicking myself for not buying them along with a few other firearms.

Since CD24 mentioned .357, I would like to throw .41 mag into the hat. I have not owned one in years, but the two that I did own one was a Ruger Single action and the other was a S&W model 58. I could be wrong on the model on the S&W.
Short of a very expensive custom rifle, Im not sure someone out there makes the .41 mag in a readily available carbine.

I do own a 357 16" levergun, though. Even will full house 180 grain loads, at 1,550 fps, it kicks about like a .223. It's also significantly quieter, even without a supressor, than any 44 mag carbine I've owned. Also, 44 Mag full house loads kick a lot like a .308. That's a consideration for younder shooters. Although the suppressor should take care of some of that.

Out of curiosity why the 44mag? I would think a 357 would yield similar results but give the option for 38 practice or the 300blk for quiet and similar distances. I love a 44 mag but why does it stand out to you?

I have just always wanted a 44 mag rifle. It really fills that caliber gap I have also. Coming from a guy that only rifle hunts whitetail with a 300 win mag I just don’t like smaller calibers.

I have just always wanted a 44 mag rifle. It really fills that caliber gap I have also. Coming from a guy that only rifle hunts whitetail with a 300 win mag I just don’t like smaller calibers.
What about a Ruger .44mag Carbine? They are still available used or NIB and listed on GB. You’ll pay $1000 to $2000+ depending on condition.

@Travis2282 get your suppressor application in ASAP and be prepared to wait about a year to get it approved and actually take possession.

I run a Silencerco Hybrid on my .44 levers, pump, single shot and auto loader. I use the Hornady 300gr XTP’s for subs. The Hybrid works pretty good but I’ve wanted one of the SRT’s for a while. I also use the Hybrid on a .357 lever and bolt gun too.

What about a Ruger .44mag Carbine? They are still available used or NIB and listed on GB. You’ll pay $1000 to $2000+ depending on condition.

Just tried to look on GB....but as usual for some reason it blocks me for security reasons....happens every time :E Shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidaEthr

Latest profile posts

URGENT LOVE SPELL CASTER TO BRING BACK MY EX LOVER +2349053366074 I NEED A LOVE SPELL CASTER TO BRING BACK MY EX LOVER.
INSTANT LOVE SPELLS THAT WORK FAST, NO SIDE EFFECTS AND IT DOESN’T BACKFIRE, My name is Dr ITSOKWI Spells caster. Call/WhatsApp +2349053366074 Specializing in helping you to achieve your goals. Trusted lost love spells in the world. Love spells that really work, spell to return ex lover with effecti
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!