425 Westley Richards

I thought Bertram had gone out of business? I used to use their 505 Gibbs brass but the company disappeared years ago (some legal troubles if memory serves). Are they back in full swing?

-Matt
Get my 425 WR brass from Bertram . They have never gone away here in OZ . They still do the 505 G as well as just about everything else .

My two 425 WR rifles. No.39359 from 1913 is the bottom rifle and No. 43267 is the upper rifle . Both are best grade rifles . 39359 is a takedown with 5 distinct steps in the barrel profile to reduce weight . It also has a milled barrel finish to reduce glare . No. 43267 is from 1958 . It had virtually never been fired when I bought it at a Holts auction in 2012 . They both shoot brilliantly.

View attachment 568233
Love the take down PCC. Both very nice, but theres something about a takedown!

I'm a fan (Fanboy) of Westley Richards, was shooting my old WR Steyr 1893 in 375Ex yesterday & loading more rounds today, I have a collection of 318WR cartridges, a couple of .425WR rounds & collect LT tipped bullets in many calibers.

Did want a .318WR rifle but ended up taking the easier route in 338/06 (excellent cartridge) & a .425WR was a dream but went .458Win as a work gun.

The .318WR bullets were a little problem & the rebated Rim on the .425WR were maybe a potential problem (Also affording one) if I was to build one I think I would again take the easier route of using the .404 case but leaving the full size rim on the case & having the bolt face opened to suit !

I also think if in a pinch cases can be made from the Ultra Mag family as they & the short mags were developed from the .404 Jeff ?

Beautiful rifles there @PCC600[/
[/QUOTE]
Sarg here is my 318 WR takedown made in 1908. All original and in great condition . Got it with the 425 WR extended magazine rifle. I was also to get some old 318 ammo . Some in a lead sealed tin as in photo . Got quite a few packs of old Kynoch and WR branded ammo - mainly 250gr but also some 180gr . Also have a lot of LT capped bullets . I am just a nut for WR stuff . Also have an unusual WR sidelock double rifle made for the Maharana of Udaipur . Will take some photos and post .

IMG_2414.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh cripes yes, that is very very nice, I have a couple of WR shotguns & a nice WR .400/360NE Double Rifle, one day maybe if I find the money I will try for a Magnum Super Explora, (only afford a round or two right now) would love a set like you have there !

1702775815854.jpeg

Hey Matt - Brass is the easy part, Bertram brass and projectiles. (y)
@Tintin
Wouldn't touch Bertram brass with a 40 foot barge pole. The stuff I bought was absolute shit.
Next time I'm in the reloading shed I will get some out and post it with my reasons in the Bertram brass post.
Bob

@Tintin
Wouldn't touch Bertram brass with a 40 foot barge pole. The stuff I bought was absolute shit.
Next time I'm in the reloading shed I will get some out and post it with my reasons in the Bertram brass post.
Bob
I totally agree the Bertram brass I bought I had to trim some .100 inches to get them all even. I had case Failure on some on the first load. I had some Jamison 404 Jeffery that I trimmed and did the rebated rim, I then did a test first failure was on the 10 th firing. I paid $4.50 Canadian for the Bertram brass at that price you would think it would be better quality.

I recently sold my 318 WR, it was a nice gun, but it is nothing more than nostalgia that copied the 30-06 with the 06,s 220 gr bullet..I had a 425 WR some years ago and I loved the clips, they fed so slick, but brass got impossible so I sold it and the client had it punched out to a 458 and removed the clips, I got it back and shot it for awhile, it was nice but heavy so I had the bullish barrel turned down filled the barrel channel with a fitted walnut tube shaved in half and inletted that to the turned barrel, and gave back to my friend. That was back in the day when those old African rifles were wall hangers and you could buy them for little of nothing,

Pierre van der Walt discussed this alleged short coming of the 425 WR in his book, African Dangerous Game Cartridges. Well worth a read if you can find a copy.

that book is my hunters bible and a gift from a dear friend a Christmas or two back..Id kill for a nice 425 WR all original. Just the reloading section of that book is worth its weight in gold...

Agreed, Ray. I consider my copy essential.

Would you recommend one over a 404j ? Thinking about another buff rifle when my 470 has been completed and I can’t choose between a 404j and a 425.
Thank you
I have 2 Westley Richards 425 bolt action rifles .

I have 2 Westley Richards bolt action rifles . No. 39359 made in 1913 . A best rifle with extended magazines . A bayonet type take down rifle . Very accurate at my buff hunting ranges of circa 25 - 75 metres. No feeding lips - it has been and is well used . Zero feeding problems ever . The other is another best rifle No. 43267 . This is a best grade scoped rifle . A flush magazine with no feeding lips . Again zero feeding issues . I have a 404J ( Mauser Type A - Oberndorff Magnum ) and a new Rigby Big Game 416 . In my opinion the 425s are more comfortable to shoot and equally devastating . I reload 410 grain Woodleigh soft nose , Bertram brass , ADI 2209 powder. At 2300 -2350 fps these things are deadly on water buff . I am a huge fan of the 425 . And I adore my 318 WR .

I wouldn't want a wife or a 425 WR without lips, so I packed a 404 all over the dark continent! I did have a 425 WR that some geek rebarreled to a 458 Win with lips and it worked well indeed, but was overly heavy so I sold it..

Would you recommend one over a 404j ? Thinking about another buff rifle when my 470 has been completed and I can’t choose between a 404j and a 425.
Thank you
Sorry I missed your earlier post . I have 425s , 404 J and 416 Rigby rifles . The 404 is a Mauser Type A single square bridge magnum made circa 1925 . The 416 is a new Rigby Big Game . The 425 in both my rifles is easier to shoot than the 404 and 416 . The old 404 is very light at circa 9 lbs and even with the old loads ie 400gr bullets at 2150fps is uncomfortable to shoot . The 416 is similar energy / momentum to 425 better to shoot than 404 but still not as nice as the 425s for felt recoil. It is easier to get new ammo for the 404 ( more powerful than old cartridges ) - I reload my 425 and have loads of components . Access to ammo in favour of 404 .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bingpengqiu530

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]