425 Express finally arrived!

We've both seen video of Anthony playing with some of his big boomers; he seems to be impervious to heavy recoil ....

That seems to be the case... he just doesn't seem to feel recoil!
But having said that, l told him once that no-one feels recoil in the field and he said - and I quote "you just haven't fired a big enough rifle..." :oops: :oops::oops:

That seems to be the case... he just doesn't seem to feel recoil!
But having said that, l told him once that no-one feels recoil in the field and he said - and I quote "you just haven't fired a big enough rifle..." :oops: :oops::oops:
@Badboymelvin
Russ sounds like Anthony's motto is go big or go home.
Sometimes I think it would be better to go home. If you need to get beat up to enjoy it it is time to give it away. Years ago I thought the 378 and 460 Weatherby weren't to bad. Now the Whelen is just fine.
We are taking the mates 404 to the range soon to see how it goes.
Bob

Today gave me a chance to do some playing with the 425 Express...

A friend of mine very kindly gave me some projectiles to try in it - thank you Justin.
These projectiles were some Bertram 400gn soft-points and some Atomic 29 360gn all copper
hollow-points.

Both of these projectiles are Australian made and I was really keen in particular to try the Atomics as they were a bit lighter and l was keen to see what increase in velocity l would achieve.

WALrlV1.jpg

Atomic 29 360gn projectiles.

I tweaked the powder charge slightly and loaded up 10 rounds. The finished round looked great.

OE2n2cy.jpg

425 Express with 360gn Atomic 29 hollow-point

Once l had some rounds loaded up it was to the range to see what velocity we were getting...

038GlIz.jpg

425 Express firing 360gn Atomic 29 hollow-point

These loads showed no sign of high pressure and delivered good velocity. Awesome.

Once l got home l punched the data into my ballistics calculator and this is what l got...

Caliber: 425 Express
Ammunition: Atomic 29 360gn HP
Muzzle Velocity: 2450 fps
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.376
Muzzle Energy: 4799 ft/lbs
Recoil Energy: 57.0 ft/lbs (approx.)
Firearm: Zastava M70

50mtrs = 1.75 - 4326ft/lbs
100mtrs = 3.0 - 3891ft/lbs
150mtrs = 2.0 - 3491ft/lbs
188mtrs = 0.0 - 3221ft/lbs
200mtrs = - 1.0 - 3124ft/lbs
250mtrs = -7.0 - 2789ft/lbs
300mtrs = -16.0 - 2484ft/lbs

This load is punching out 4800ft/lbs of energy and has a usable trajectory out to 300mtrs.
I think that this would make a fantastic all-round load in the 425 Express - and in fact, this will be the load that l now use in my 425 Express provided they are accurate of course.

It was a fantastic day and the more and more l work with this rifle and get to know it, the happier and happier I'm becoming...

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
As a reminder, the 425 Express is the .300 Winchester Magnum necked up to .423" -although I didn't use .300WM brass - l used Hornady un-formed brass.

Here's what the brass looked like when I got it... looks kinda like 458 Lott brass...

View attachment 549706

I then necked it down...

View attachment 549708

Trimmed it...

View attachment 549707

Primed it, threw in some powder and seated a projectile and l was all set
:onya:

View attachment 549705

And how's this for the final classy touch...

View attachment 549709

The original idea with the 425 Express was to launch a 400gn .423" projectile at 2400fps to compete with the .416's and .404 Jeffery and I personally reached 2300fps on my second try.
My 2300fps load showed no signs of excessive pressure and l was going to try for 2350-2400fps, but after checking my ballistic calculator the extra 100fps didn't give me much improvement at all in trajectory so l left it.
With 4700ft/lbs of energy - and the right projectile, l would feel confident hunting any game in the world.
:onya:

lf my dream of hunting Buffalo in Africa ever comes true this is the rifle I'm taking...

When googling the 425 Express the only criticism l could ever find was the unpleasant recoil - and it's certainly there! Snappy and rude, but it's a DG rifle and there's no free lunch. You want 4700ft/lbs... you gotta earn them. And l'm sure the lighter weight of my rifle has a lot to do with the recoil - but l would take a lighter, handier rifle over less recoil any day.
And who feels recoil in the field anyway?

I just can't wait to get out in the field with it and show you all some game pics!

Russ
That is so cool to get the headstamped brass! Congratulations. Big fan of the 423 Bore myself as I have a 404J made by Bob of Kudu Services. If you ever get sick of the recoil the classic Nitro load of 2150fps with a 400gr Woodleigh just plain works on Cape Buffalo. Proved it to myself last year on 2 Buffalo.

That is so cool to get the headstamped brass! Congratulations. Big fan of the 423 Bore myself as I have a 404J made by Bob of Kudu Services. If you ever get sick of the recoil the classic Nitro load of 2150fps with a 400gr Woodleigh just plain works on Cape Buffalo. Proved it to myself last year on 2 Buffalo.

I've had Bob work on a couple of rifles for me and he's always done great work (y)
A CZ550 Safari Magnum in .458WM got the 'Kudu' treatment and he shortened the barrel to 21", fitted cross-bolts, buffalo horn tip, shortened the fore-end and added a barrel mounted sling swivel.
It is easily the best looking rifle l've ever owned and l eventually sold it to a well-known gun writer here in Australia...

He also reamed a Zastava .375 H&H out to .375Wby for me and did a few other odds and ends... and l couldn't fault any of his work...

Russ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeesaLague

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles