416 WSM first range trip

Redding Custom Order, don’t forget to order the extra expander button.
RCBS has some really heavy neck expanders too.
I prefer Reddings expanders... they are longer and smoother.
I am getting a few splits with once fired WW and FC .300 WSM brass in making my .375 WSM cases... all after annealing and going from .308" to .358"... roughly 6 per 100 are splitting at the neck.

Last edited:
Shot 350gr Speer bullets with the 55gr IMR 3031 load, worked great, don’t think I’ll push it any more and will keep the 400gr HOR RN at 54gr IMR 3031. Need chronograph to get any more info.
Tried fire forming some old factory 300wsm cartridges by shooting in 416 chamber.
Had to clean in between every round, a lot of unburnt powder left behind every shot but the brass formed nice.

Shot 350gr Speer bullets with the 55gr IMR 3031 load, worked great, don’t think I’ll push it any more and will keep the 400gr HOR RN at 54gr IMR 3031. Need chronograph to get any more info.
What do the primers look like - photo?
Tried fire forming some old factory 300wsm cartridges by shooting in 416 chamber.
Had to clean in between every round, a lot of unburnt powder left behind every shot
Powder needs the pressure to combust properly. As to bullet would have zero engagment with the barrel (we hope) then there would be very little pressure generated - I am surprised that they actually formed.

To form the 325 WSM Winchester cases I made up the following die set. The first plug takes them out to 375 and the last to 410. Then I just use the full length resizer to finish the forming.
I also made up an induction annealing machine from bits bought off Aliexpress. In the past I used a propane torch but it does not provide a consistent or even result. The induction system is totally repeatable and even around the shell. If the annealing is not even around the shell then it will stretch more where it has annealed more (softer) and that spot will stretch an thin out.
20240724_191811[1].jpg

What do the primers look like - photo?

Powder needs the pressure to combust properly. As to bullet would have zero engagment with the barrel (we hope) then there would be very little pressure generated - I am surprised that they actually formed.
No over pressure signs on 350 Speer loads primers or cases.
Horizontal impact no change from 400gr HOR RN bullets, just higher vertical as expected. Didn’t have to change scope.
I’ll be able run the Fire formed cases through the final die no problem. It was only an advantage because I had the old cartridges anyway. Wouldn’t wanna waste powder unless I had to.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345