416 WSM first range trip

I’m wondering on your 416 WSM what cartridge u used to size up. 325 is what I’m planning on using. There are subtle differences in case dimensions with 7mm the longest to shoulder followed by 325, and then 300 and 270. I’m leaning toward using the 325 but reaming the chamber to 7mm WSM shoulder length and hopefully gain a few fps.
Also do you have to anneal your brass? Thanx for the info. I’ll post some pics of my project as I go.

Silky
I just loaded more rounds for load testing so I have a box of them now and no splits yet with brand new Winchester 300 WSM brass, no annealing. I imagine if you can find 325 brass it would be better yet. I mentioned in another post I use 2 tapered expander buttons from Redding Dies to get me there, 0.308" - 0.358" and 0.358" - 0.416", lubing inside the neck with Q-tip.

I’m wondering on your 416 WSM what cartridge u used to size up. 325 is what I’m planning on using. There are subtle differences in case dimensions with 7mm the longest to shoulder followed by 325, and then 300 and 270. I’m leaning toward using the 325 but reaming the chamber to 7mm WSM shoulder length and hopefully gain a few fps.
Also do you have to anneal your brass? Thanx for the info. I’ll post some pics of my project as I go.

Silky
Unless you really want a Short Action gun I'd really recommend a 416 Taylor or 416 Ruger. Easier to get brass for the Taylor to size with a 458 WM and 338WM, or a finished rifle with the Ruger.
This was one of those projects for me that made no sense but once I got into it had to finish.
Happy Huntin.

No I haven't tried barnes or 300gr bullets yet yet. Shot 350 speer and 400gr hornaday. Have several more I plan on testing, but currently confirming the loads for my 500/416 double and my wife's 375 for our safari this fall.

The taylor and ruger are both good rounds. The 416 WSM or 416 B&M you will be hunting with a round than not everyone else has.

Picked up my 416WSM from gunsmith today.
Using powders available IMR4031 from 416 Taylor loads I found in Handloader Magazine. Calculated volume difference and adjusted load accordingly.
Started with 53gr IMR4031, 1 shot was all we could take as he didn’t have a range, just a test station.
So far so good, no pressure signs, bullets 400gr HOR DGS are seated way into case to maintain max WSM COL.
18.5” barrel has a good bark when fired, surprised us both a little even knowing it would be loud.
Correction to my post it was IMR3031 powder.

At range today shot 9 test cartridges, 3 each, 53gr, 54 and 55 with Hornady 400gr DGX bullets. Barrel break in cleaning between shots. No pressure signs. Gun handles well, love the short barrel.

The .375 WSM is marvelous... shoots 235 TSX and 300 Sierra #3000's equally well. Will do a comprehensive range report when time permits, neck deep in bears at the moment.

Here are the guiding bevy, top to bottom; .450 Marlin, now converted to a .458 WM Carbine with NECG sights, should have it back in a couple weeks, 7.62X57 Hoytcanon, .358-375 Ruger and the .375 WSM.

View attachment 607528
Nice to see a fellow Canadian Gun Nut.
Hoping to take mine to Red Lake this year moose huntin’.
Happy Huntin’.

Were you able to get the velocity from the loads you tried?

Were you able to get the velocity from the loads you tried?
No idea, I don’t own a chronograph but am trying to borrow one.
Will post if I can get one.
Our range is limited to 100yds so I’ll be able to see the drop when I can shoot 200yds at a buddies farm soon.
Ordered some 350gr Speer bullets for moose.
Good Luck in Africa Dave.

Hi
I joined this site specifically because of this topic.
I am currently building a 416WSM on a Siamese Mauser action.
It is a bit of a convaluted story. Which started when I purchased 3 stripped Martini Enfield actions in the 1990s. I managed to get 2 working actions out of it. The first I chambered for 45/70 with a 22" Sprinter No4 contour barrel, total weight is 61/2lbs and I load it to Ruger No1 levels.
The second action sat in the cuboard until last year, when I thought it was time for a rebirth. Long story short I ordered a chambering and resizing reamers from Pacific Tool & Die in 416/348 Ackley Improved.
Then I was browsing one day and came across the 325WSM chamber dimensions. I had to check and recheck a few times, but it looked like I could cut the 416WSM chamber using the 416/348 Ackley Improved reamer. Case base diameter, shoulder diameter and length from base to shoulder are identical. Shoulder angles are 35deg vs 40deg and thus neck length on the WSM is a little shorter, but entirely managable. I have formed up both cases with no losses.
The Siamese Mauser action was surprising easy to find but had a sting in the tail. When it arrived there was no extractor. I soon found it impossible to find a Siamese Mouser extractor. I modified a K98 extractor but it thinned out the retention rib and the claw a bit more than I would like. The gun smith I am using had a draw with numerous extractors and we found 1 that looked closer. Some minor modifications and it fitted - no idea what it is from.
Gun laws are quite restricting in Australia and I am just waiting for the final permits to allow the gunsmith to release the barreled action to me for the next steps.
Very happy to find this topic that has some starting points to work up the loads for both the 416WSM and 416/348AI.

Sounds like a very interesting project. Finding parts for the siamese action is getting pretty difficult.

I love threads like these...

While Im very much a traditionalist at heart and tend to stick to tried and true "old" cartridges and "old" platforms (prefer 300 HH over 300 WM.. prefer 416 Rigby over 416 Ruger... etc..etc..).. I love seeing guys playing with wildcats, trying to push the envelope with new projectiles, testing whether or not you can get X performance out of Y action or Z length barrels, etc..etc..

Thanks for what you do @michael458 , @AZDAVE and the likes of you.. this sort of thing fascinates me..

I started with a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 300WSM.
Saved me some gun smithing fees.
Not sure what psi the Siamese Action will handle?
I’ve found the bullet seating depth affects the feeding of the cartridges quite a bit.
My rifle likes HOR DGX 400gr bullets at 2.860“ OCL which has the cannalure groove above the case.
Happy Huntin.

Not sure what psi the Siamese Action will handle?
Thanks for the feedback, I will open a new topic on this build so as not to highjack this series.
The Siamese Mausers had some bad press early on, but I think that was more to do with its origin being Japanese and the hostilities of the then, recent past.
My action is a mid 10K serial number so it was made in the first batch of rifles at the Imperial Japanese Army Tokyo Arsenal in 1901/1902 which is way before any hostilities would impact materials or quality. The Japanese are second to none with their knowledge of metalurgy and heat treatment. The Tokyo Arsenal also made the Arisaka during the same period which is widely recognised as one of the strongesgt actions ever made. I don't have any concerns about the strength of this action.

My Blue Collar Custom Rifle Set, an
IMG_2794.jpg
M96 Mauser 6.5 x 55 and the new 416WSM in a used Weatherby Vanguard SA both in plastic Ramline Stocks. Nuttin fancy just Tools to get the job done.

Light and handy rifles. What's not to like:A Big Hello:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMAValenti

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.