.416 Weatherby

BigBuff7459

Reaction score
Was thinking of buying a new safari rifle and have been offered a .416 Weatherby does anyone have any experience of this calibre ?
Many thanks.

I had one - sold it. Recoil was unpleasant and I wanted a controlled round feed rifle. Just my 2 cents - get a 404J, 416 rem or 416 rigby if you have the itch.
416 wby is pushing a 400 grain bullet 2700 FPS vs. the others I listed around 2400. I don’t think the extra 300 fps is needed and it results in 30lbs more recoil.

I've seen more Weatherby rifles from 375WBY and up that are sold with 19 rounds of ammo because the first owner couldn't tolerate the recoil.

If this is your first DG rifle, I'd highly recommend a 375H&H (or 375RUGER) as a starter so you can get your feet wet before jumping into deep end with the big bores. .375 caliber will do everything you need in Africa from the Tiny 10 to cape buffalo and elephant.

I had one - sold it. Recoil was unpleasant and I wanted a controlled round feed rifle. Just my 2 cents - get a 404J, 416 rem or 416 rigby if you have the itch.
416 wby is pushing a 400 grain bullet 2700 FPS vs. the others I listed around 2400. I don’t think the extra 300 fps is needed and it results in 30lbs more recoil.
Thanks for the advice I had a .340 Weatherby a few years back and as you say it too was an unpleasant round to shoot after the first few shots so guessing the .416wm would be a good bit worse. Funny thing is I never felt a thing while hunting with it it was the zeroing etc that proved to be a punishing hour or two.

I've seen more Weatherby rifles from 375WBY and up that are sold with 19 rounds of ammo because the first owner couldn't tolerate the recoil.

If this is your first DG rifle, I'd highly recommend a 375H&H (or 375RUGER) as a starter so you can get your feet wet before jumping into deep end with the big bores. .375 caliber will do everything you need in Africa from the Tiny 10 to cape buffalo and elephant.
I had a .416 Remington a few years back and found it punishing but not intolerable but this Weatherby round I’ve heard is worse recoil wise. The price is good so that’s what’s tempting me.

Last edited:
Depends on what you already have and what you plan to do with it. I have one and used it in Alaska as a back up rifle. You can reach out there with it when needed. If shooting 200 yards or less I prefer my Remington. Have a Rigby but it is my least favorite. If you handload you can dial it back but might as well get a Remington if your going to dial it back to 24-2500. There is no doubt it is a handful.

Thanks for that it’s a good price and is like new that’s what’s tempting me but maybe I should not be letting my heart rule my head here

Reading some of your posts after I responded. If you thought the 340 and 416 Remington were un pleasant you don’t want anything to do with the 416 Weatherby. I love the 340.

Mmmm that was my own thoughts exactly but it’s got a brake so was hoping that’d help a bit

I had an 8mm Reg Mag in the past and wish I’d never sold it. However ammo was impossible to find and reloading was awkward too as there wasn’t many decent 8mm bullets about but maybe things have changed these days.

My 13 year old daughter loves my unbraked .340. :)

I had a .416 Remington a few years back and found it punishing but not intolerable but this Weatherby round I’ve heard is worse recoil wise. The price is good so that’s what’s tempting me.
There is a reason the price is so good...but I'll let you figure it out.

That’s how I ended up with the 416 wby Euro - it was $1,350 or so and I thought wow! What a deal! It did have 16 or 17 rounds of ammo with it too. I sold it with about 12 rounds left and broke even on the deal.

There has been a Keith Hepler .416 Weatherby on a Dakota action on GI forever. It is beautiful (yet ported). If any other .416 offering I believe it would have sold many moons ago. It isn’t just the recoil, not unlike some Lazzeroni offerings, the added velocity doesn’t necessarily make the round more effective for most applications.

There has been a Keith Hepler .416 Weatherby on a Dakota action on GI forever. It is beautiful (yet ported). If any other .416 offering I believe it would have sold many moons ago. It isn’t just the recoil, not unlike some Lazzeroni offerings, the added velocity doesn’t necessarily make the round more effective for most applications.
I’ve seen that rifle. If it wasn’t ported and had a longer barrel I would jump on it.

My cousin has a .416 Weatherby and it is his go to elk round. He also has a whole gun case full of Weatherby's.

He does download it for the range or when he is just popping off at cans and such but stokes it up for his hunts. He once told me that he hasn't found a animal that argues very much with it.

While I have shot most of his other Weatherby calibers, even the 460 I haven't been around when he had the 416 out.

That’s how I ended up with the 416 wby Euro - it was $1,350 or so and I thought wow! What a deal! It did have 16 or 17 rounds of ammo with it too. I sold it with about 12 rounds left and broke even on the deal.
I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion that this rifle would not make a sensible buy. I feel a .375H&H would be a better all rounder. Thanks for the comments and advise.

I have a custom 416wby and you can load it up or down to equal any other 416. Used one in Zambia on PG. mine is CRF. Big power!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerleneRus

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt