Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 8.06.58 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 8.07.01 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 8.07.01 AM.png
    537 KB · Views: 256
  • Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 8.07.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 8.07.03 AM.png
    667.4 KB · Views: 214
A great rifle at a great price. I have two of the Ruger 416 model rifles: the Ruger Alaskan and Ruger African. They both shoot great and have no loading issues using the Hornady DGX and DGS ammo. Also have some Buffalo Bore TSX loads that shoot great as well. Someone is going to have a great platform.

A great rifle at a great price. I have two of the Ruger 416 model rifles: the Ruger Alaskan and Ruger African. They both shoot great and have no loading issues using the Hornady DGX and DGS ammo. Also have some Buffalo Bore TSX loads that shoot great as well. Someone is going to have a great platform.
Want to sell the Ruger Alaskan?

The Hogue stock serves a purpose, but you're right, not my favorite either. I have the full bedding block stock on one of m Alaskans. Adds some much needed weight, and stiffness. The wood stock is prone to cracking. Haven't cracked mine on the African yet, but switching to a Bell & Carlson for the fall hunting season.

IMG_20230625_110809801_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely like the 416 Ruger cartridge.
I have been using the B&C stocks & H-S Precision since McMillan sold to the present ownership.
I have a 416 Ruger in the H-S Precision. This was bought prior to B&C coming out with their Ruger stocks. Though, I now have a few of the Ruger B&C stocks. I put a 23" barrel 375 Ruger in one of these.

I agree the Hogue serves its purpose. I used one during one moose season on a 416 Ruger. Absolutely serviceable, but the fore end was a bit fatter than I care for. The H-S Precision is a bit slimmer, and the B&C more so.

Last edited:
The Hogue stock serves a purpose, but you're right, not my favorite either. I have the full bedding block stock on one of m Alaskans. Adds some much needed weight, and stiffness. The wood stock is prone to cracking. Haven't cracked mine on the African yet, but switching to a Bell & Carlson for the fall hunting season.
I have a full custom from AHR with Wayne’s synthetic I bought on impulse. Shot it quite a bit a couple weekends ago and really liked it. Not sure it will ever make the trek to Africa, but the next rifle I take will be synthetic! I know—the horror. :)

View attachment 541960
Really taking an interest in the 416 Ruger cartridge being an affordable big bore on a new platform. Of the two (Alaskan & African), which do you prefer?

I love the walnut and blue of the African but also the handiness of the Alaskan and it is probably the more suitable for the hunting that I do.

Would be interested in your real-world view.

Thanks, Michael.

Really taking an interest in the 416 Ruger cartridge being an affordable big bore on a new platform. Of the two (Alaskan & African), which do you prefer?

I love the walnut and blue of the African but also the handiness of the Alaskan and it is probably the more suitable for the hunting that I do.

Would be interested in your real-world view.

Thanks, Michael.
I realize your question wasn't directed at me, but I also own both an African and an Alaskan. Mine are both in .375 Ruger and are older models from before they had muzzle brakes. The Alaskan is the laminate stock version, not the Hogue. Both of mine have been glass bedded and had 1" Decelerator pads installed. The African is better looking, but I definitely prefer the handling of the Alaskan. The Alaskan is also a bit heavier and, therefore, easier to shoot, not that either one is objectionable. If I had to choose one to keep, it would be the Alaskan hands down, but it's purely personal preference.

I just got the Alaskan back from the gunsmith after having it threaded for a suppressor, but I haven't made it to the range since. It should be really nice to shoot now with the can and decelerator pad.

I haven't had any stock splitting issues but they do have a reputation for doing that. The glass bedding is my ounce of prevention....

I realize your question wasn't directed at me, but I also own both an African and an Alaskan. Mine are both in .375 Ruger and are older models from before they had muzzle brakes. The Alaskan is the laminate stock version, not the Hogue. Both of mine have been glass bedded and had 1" Decelerator pads installed. The African is better looking, but I definitely prefer the handling of the Alaskan. The Alaskan is also a bit heavier and, therefore, easier to shoot, not that either one is objectionable. If I had to choose one to keep, it would be the Alaskan hands down, but it's purely personal preference.

I just got the Alaskan back from the gunsmith after having it threaded for a suppressor, but I haven't made it to the range since. It should be really nice to shoot now with the can and decelerator pad.

I haven't had any stock splitting issues but they do have a reputation for doing that. The glass bedding is my ounce of prevention....
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Am I correct in assuming that the only difference between the Ruger Alaskan and the Guide Gun is that the Alaskan has the plastic (Houge) stock and the GG has the laminate stock?

If so, then this (GG) would be the preference if they make such a thing in 416 Ruger.

Another question (and probably directed more to our Aussie members) how is the availability of brass or factory loads for the 416 Ruger? This is the one thing that puts me off the Ruger magnums being proprietary cartridges.

To be fair this is also my sticking point with the 404 Jeffrey.

Am I correct in assuming that the only difference between the Ruger Alaskan and the Guide Gun is that the Alaskan has the plastic (Houge) stock and the GG has the laminate stock?

If so, then this (GG) would be the preference if they make such a thing in 416 Ruger.

Another question (and probably directed more to our Aussie members) how is the availability of brass or factory loads for the 416 Ruger? This is the one thing that puts me off the Ruger magnums being proprietary cartridges.

The Guide Gun also has a thread muzzle with a thread protector, a brake, and a non-ported brake substitute.
I have the Alaskan versions in 416 & 375 Ruger and a couple of 30-06's in the Guide Gun. One of the 30-06's has had the threaded portion cut and re-crowned.
I really like the stainless 20" 416 Ruger.

I like the Alaskan better purely from a handling and functional standpoint. Shorter, stockier barrel handles great for me for hunting in deep woods of the Northeast, and thick brush and swamps of Florida where I live. But, the African is a much nicer fit and finish rifle. To each his own.

I pillar and glass bedded the wood stock on my 375 African and still just recently started developing a hairline crack behind the tang…I think the design was just a bit thin through the wrist and didn’t matter what blank Ruger could have picked.

That said, I still love the rifle and cartridge as it has served me well.

I love this cartridge too. The factory ammo from Hornady shoots great. The Buffalo Bore TSX ammo was a little salty price wise, but it's basically hand loaded, and the quality of it was top notch. I found the POI in my African with the Buffalo Bore ammo to be higher than the Hornady, and the groupings to be tighter. Don't own a Chrono, so can't tell their differences in velocity. I need to buy a Chrono,

WI-2021 , how did the gunsmith go about threading the Alaskan? Did he take off the sight band, resize, and reset it on the barrel?

The Alaskan is a rubber stock. also the cracking issues with the wood stocks are easily fixed if you tighten one of the screws

The Alaskan has been made both with the Hogue stock and a sporter-style laminate stock (no LOP spacers). I have the laminate, the Hogue was never available in a LH version. I personally prefer laminate stocks over the Hogue synthetics.

The Guide Gun has a laminate stock with spacers to adjust LOP. That's the only difference I'm aware of between it and the Alaskan.

WI-2021 , how did the gunsmith go about threading the Alaskan? Did he take off the sight band, resize, and reset it on the barrel?
He attempted to salvage the original sight, but ended up having to cut it off and resize a new factory part to install behind the threads. He did say that usually he's able to reuse the factory sight, but some of them are stubborn, like mine. After he finished he bead blasted everything. The finished job looks factory.

I believe that they're a shrink fit and soldered from the factory, so not the easiest removal job. He charged me quite a bit and still probably lost money on the deal.

The Alaskan has been made both with the Hogue stock and a sporter-style laminate stock (no LOP spacers). I have the laminate, the Hogue was never available in a LH version. I personally prefer laminate stocks over the Hogue synthetics.

The Guide Gun has a laminate stock with spacers to adjust LOP. That's the only difference I'm aware of between it and the Alaskan.
I love my 375 Alaskan Lefty!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElaineCran

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]