.416 Rigby from prone?

I'll chime in here since we have the exact same rifle. I've never shot mine from prone, and don't plan to. However, I don't plan to hunt deer with it either. What I can tell you, from experience gained in a recent safari, in real action the recoil is just not that bad...especially when the heart is pumping and adrenaline is rushing. Of the eight animals I took, six were with the .416 Rigby and the recoil was unremarkable (though I did get a slight kiss from my scope once). You've made a good choice; the mighty .416 Rigby is an outstanding caliber for Africa!
 
njc110381
May l ask your height and weight ?
The others are correct . Shooting anything of this large calibre from the prone position may cause damage to your body.
I personally would not recommend anything larger than a 9.3 millimeter mauser cartridge to be fired from the prone position. It is a position which makes your body bear the brunt of the weapon's recoil.
On a related subject , recoil can actually cause severe body damage if one is not careful.
Last year a student at Bangladesh Shooting Federation had his collar bone broken by attempting to shoot an over under 12 bore shot-gun calibrated for the 89 millimeter cartridge . The poor young man was in a great deal of pain.
 
njc110381
May l ask your height and weight ?
The others are correct . Shooting anything of this large calibre from the prone position may cause damage to your body.
I personally would not recommend anything larger than a 9.3 millimeter mauser cartridge to be fired from the prone position. It is a position which makes your body bear the brunt of the weapon's recoil.
On a related subject , recoil can actually cause severe body damage if one is not careful.
Last year a student at Bangladesh Shooting Federation had his collar bone broken by attempting to shoot an over under 12 bore shot-gun calibrated for the 89 millimeter cartridge . The poor young man was in a great deal of pain.

I'm around 14 stone/85kg. Height 5'7"/1.7m. I can see how that could happen. I hope the poor lad recovered and is able to shoot again now?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,918
Members
169,643
Latest member
xs88club
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top