416 Rigby & 400gr North Forks

I have considered it as they expand slightly. Performance was phenomenal.

I disagree that their penetration is “in the middle”. My experience and several PHs comments after witnessing it are very different.
You may well have miss interpreted what I said. If you read the whole post you will get the idea that by in the middle, it is somewhere between the performance of a soft nose and a decent sized metplat solid. The Metplat Solids have been shown to penetrate further then the cup nose solids, though the CNS do more damage.

So, I’ve had a philosophical revelation. I’ve decided I don’t need 2375fps out of the 416 Rigby and that 91.0gr of N560 creating 2322fps will do just fine. I think the reduced recoil is advantageous and the 400gr semi spitzer at 2322fps will still get the job done on a Cape buff.
3 x 2 shot groups at 100m off the bench. The first pair low and left, the second pair slightly low and right, and the last pair 1.5” high and .5” left. I’m using a Zeiss 1-4 power scope with 1/2 MOA clicks. I’ll come down 2 clicks next range visit and call it a day.
Whoever said a Ruger No 1 can’t be accurate didn’t own one… or at least not this one. Very pleased with the accuracy of this load out of this rifle.
And now on to the CPS loads.
IMG_0714.jpeg

There ya go. We don't have to eke out every ounce of energy and speed on these guns. The animal never knows the difference but we can feel it. It's not "downloading" either...it's just not redlining our gun and the life of the gun is extended. It also helps when we get into a different environment with different temps and pressures. I think it's foolish to squeeze these big guns for every bit. That could really come back and bite you someday in the field when your gun won't extract, etc.

There ya go. We don't have to eke out every ounce of energy and speed on these guns. The animal never knows the difference but we can feel it. It's not "downloading" either...it's just not redlining our gun and the life of the gun is extended. It also helps when we get into a different environment with different temps and pressures. I think it's foolish to squeeze these big guns for every bit. That could really come back and bite you someday in the field when your gun won't extract, etc.
The 416 Rigby with normal loads that develop around 2400 fps is downloaded or just not uploaded to potential. The round is capable of 416Weatherby area velocities, just over 200fps faster.

With other big bore cartridges I agree with you and yes there is no need to achieve 2400fps with the Rigby 2250 should do the job..

The 416 Rigby with normal loads that develop around 2400 fps is downloaded or just not uploaded to potential. The round is capable of 416Weatherby area velocities, just over 200fps faster.

With other big bore cartridges I agree with you and yes there is no need to achieve 2400fps with the Rigby 2250 should do the job..
Not sure if 2250 is referring to my load or not, i am tucked in at averaging 2322fps.

Not sure if 2250 is referring to my load or not, i am tucked in at averaging 2322fps.
Nope. Just a figure that is quoted by a lot of people as all you require to get the job done. Some even say 2150 will do the job.

Well, if you are a reader you know that in 1898 a 480 gr bullet at a published 2150 was the end of the black powder era, or almost anyway.History and modern chrony tell us the vel of 2150 for that cartridge was never achieved.

Well, if you are a reader you know that in 1898 a 480 gr bullet at a published 2150 was the end of the black powder era, or almost anyway.History and modern chrony tell us the vel of 2150 for that cartridge was never achieved.
As is the case for most of the claimed velocities of the early smokeless powder cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yosemitebam

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg