.416 Hawk Bullets on Buff

DocHolliday

Reaction score
Anybody have real world experience with these bullets on buffaloes? Would love to hear about it. I used their bullets with good success in past, but not when my life or my kid d’s life depended upon it.

I have no experience with these bullets, but I shot some buffaloes with similar SP bullets. The topic including the mention of the Hawk bullets for buffalo hunting was discussed recently very vehemently on the Forum.

Hawk jacketed bullets are a simple cup and core design. The only way to control expansion with that design is by jacket thickness. There is nothing to prevent jacket-core separation, no matter jacket thickness. Hawk is in business primarily to provide bullets for odd calibers. Otherwise, why bother with them when there are so many proven, modern and tough DG designs and brands out there?

HAVE RESEARCHED THE HAWK BULLETS IN .458 WIN-MAG AS A LION LOAD. I WOULD CHOOSE A "TOUGHER" BULLET FOR BUFF.

Ammo is the least expensive thing you will bring to Africa. It doesn't make any sense at all to try and save $2 or $3 per pill when you're shooting a $10-15K buffalo or hippo.

Gentlemen, I truly appreciate your replies, but the real question I posed was if there were anyone with real world experience in such. In the days of ammo component shortages, I was just exploring. Personally, I am a HUGE AFrame fanboy. They just are NOT available right now.

Gentlemen, I truly appreciate your replies, but the real question I posed was if there were anyone with real world experience in such. In the days of ammo component shortages, I was just exploring. Personally, I am a HUGE AFrame fanboy. They just are NOT available right now.

North Fork 400 gr solid shanks are in stock, you can order directly from NF. I bought some 175 gr .284 from them just last week, they were delivered in 3 or 4 days.

Since A Frames are unobtanium in just about everything but 9.3 (and I've got 3 boxes of those left), I'll be ordering the NFs when it's time to start doing LD for my 404 Jeff

Might also check with Hammer bullets. https://hammerbullets.com/product/416-cal-400gr-stone-hammer/

They're showing their 400 gr Stone Hammer in stock as well.

And there's always Barnes TSX, the least expensive of all the Premium bullets

Never shot the Barnes. But I have the Hammers. The driving bands on them reduce pressure, and North Fork has similar driving bands to Hammer. Lower pressure and higher MV...never a bad combo for premium bullets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArmyVet82ABN

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles