416 Caliber Terminal Performance

Some of the best info I have ever read. Many thanks from a Swift bullet fan.

Oh by the way Nice rifle

Just rereading this thread. A big thanks to Michael458 for the researching he has done. The explanation of the difference between the Woodleigh Hydros/North Fork cup points and conventional solid/metplat solids is the best I have read.

The African Grand Slam was a tungsten core bullet and as I have had good results with the TB Sledgehammer bullets with lead core with some subtraction (?) for lead vs tungsten in a penetration test would you believe they would be a close comparasion?
Thanks

The African Grand Slam was a tungsten core bullet and as I have had good results with the TB Sledgehammer bullets with lead core with some subtraction (?) for lead vs tungsten in a penetration test would you believe they would be a close comparasion?
Thanks
I don't think they would be a close comparison on penetration as the tungsten stays together and is not malleable like lead. They were made illegal by the ATF and no longer produced IIRC.

The key to any meaningful bullet terminal performance data is consistency of the media for all testing and is similar to real tissue. Wet pack, as described and used in the test results posted by @michael458, comes as close as any I know for that purpose. Single or small number random anecdotes or use of varying media are nearly worthless for comparing or evaluating potential bullet performance for hunting.

Back off on the speed.....penetration at a minimum should be to under skin opposite side....tumbling is not acceptable.....
Heavy for caliber premium grade bullets at good velocity(max 2400) will always achive this

Thanks

I would think the Tungsten might not penetrate as deep as lead core, with the exception of heavy bone. Reason is Tungsten from my understanding is way lighter then lead so momentum slows/stops quicker.
Just my thinking and I could well be right off course.

I believe the ATF would have been looking at bullet resistant vests and the ability of Tungsten to penetrate these.

Tungsten is56% heavierthen lead.

Speer made the tungsten solids.Back in the mid 90s when I was working on a 458 Lott reloads it became obvious that as short a 500 gr bullet as possible was desirable to achieve a 2300 fps vel with the powders available. Settled on the Swift A Frame and was able to obtain a few Speer tungsten bullets but found it necessary to try and use TBSledgehammers. Altho a little longer they were available. Also settled on 2250 fps as my final target.
All worked quite well.

...Materials and production costs "killed" the AGS.

I used the AGS in my .416Taylor @ 2365fps, and in my .458WM @ 2185fps.

The last ele bull I shot using the .458WM was a side brain shot, and the AGS was a complete pass thru.

Some time after Speer discontinued the AGS, a company in ID (SAFARI SELECT) had the bullets available for 375, 300gr, .416 400gr, and .458 500gr. The contact nos: 208 746 6388/208 743 8858.

I have had NO contact with SAFARI SELECT because I have an ample supply of .416 and .458 AGS bullets. I'm not sure they are still in business???

Thank you TS. Did you ever compare oal of the AGS and the TB Sledgehammer?

Thank you TS. Did you ever compare oal of the AGS and the TB Sledgehammer?
...As I recall the difference between the two was 0.180 TB a smidge longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinaFra

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with