416 bullets heavier than 400 grains?

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I know a few companies have produced some 350 and even 380 grain bullets for the 375. Does anyone make a heavier bullet for the 416? I feel with the powder capacity of this cartridge and utilizing the right powder one might could up the effectiveness of the 416. It seems like it could drive a 450 or maybe 480 grain bullet.
I was just curious if anyone knew of any or had experimented with any heavier bullets in the 416?

For the 416Rigby...
Woodleigh had 410gr and 450gr softs and solids.
Rhino Bullets do a 430gr soft.
Ken Stewart in Rsa does 410gr and 450gr.

I have used the norma ph ammo in 450gr. It certainly works well. Not sure if there is much benefit over the 400gr but to me the recoil with the 450 vs 400 was more push than snap.
I settled on monometal expanding and brass solid in 400gr for myself.

I saw a client put 2 450grgr softs into a big old lion in luangwa last year and they performed very well.
He also hit a kudu at around 250yds with the same and dropped it on the spot.

I was curious if they provided any additional benefit. My current set up is 400gr Swift A frames and 400gr8 Cutting edge solids. I suppose those will work about as good as anything. They should provide plenty of penetration for buff and elephant.

I think Norma loads a factory 416rigby in 450grain

I was curious if they provided any additional benefit. My current set up is 400gr Swift A frames and 400gr8 Cutting edge solids. I suppose those will work about as good as anything. They should provide plenty of penetration for buff and elephant.
In my opinion, i like the heavy for caliber bullets but i honestly dont think there is much gain in the 416's.
Ive hit a hippo head on at 15yds with the 400gr brass solid and recovered it in the back of the stomachs. That is substantial penetration, i'm not sure upping this to the 450gr would be any better.

None of the softs used on buff side on have been recovered.

The AFrame is a superb round and ive used them in 400gr with stellar results.

Well that sounds good enough for me. Plus there is potentially hippo on the menu so that's good info. I had planned on running my 460 wby as my primary gun on the hippo and elephant but man the 416 I have is lights out accurate and feeds good. If it has enough ass, which it sounds like it does, I think I'll put the 460 on back up duty and run the 416 as my primary for every thing. I'll probably shoot something with the 460 just for fun. I mean if you bring it you might as well kill something with it.

I know a few companies have produced some 350 and even 380 grain bullets for the 375. Does anyone make a heavier bullet for the 416? I feel with the powder capacity of this cartridge and utilizing the right powder one might could up the effectiveness of the 416. It seems like it could drive a 450 or maybe 480 grain bullet.
I was just curious if anyone knew of any or had experimented with any heavier bullets in the 416?
I don't see the benefit. 400 grains is plenty heavy for the caliber and the Swift A-Frames you are using are superb.

Woodleigh does or did
450 grain bullets that Woodleigh asked me to test
Then along came covid so I haven’t had a chance

Well that sounds good enough for me. Plus there is potentially hippo on the menu so that's good info. I had planned on running my 460 wby as my primary gun on the hippo and elephant but man the 416 I have is lights out accurate and feeds good. If it has enough ass, which it sounds like it does, I think I'll put the 460 on back up duty and run the 416 as my primary for every thing. I'll probably shoot something with the 460 just for fun. I mean if you bring it you might as well kill something with it.
The 416 will definitely cover you with the 400 a frames.
muse the 469, just because you can if you want but I’d vote the 416 for the majority of carry and shoot situations.
good luck

I believe North Folk also supplies a heavier then 400gr for the 416. Yes on the A Frames along with Sledgehammers on Barnes flat nose solids.

Not sure if there is much benefit over the 400gr but to me the recoil with the 450 vs 400 was more push than snap.

@PeteG: how should I read this observation? The higher weight causes the recoil to feel more like a push, or the higher weight makes it feel more like a snap?

Is this generally the case? Can others confirm this? Increasing or decreasing the weight of the bullet will have noticeable effects on felt recoil?

I agree the sectional density of the 400g 416 bullets is awesome. You don't need a heavier bullet. I do shoot the Woodleigh 350g HD soft point bullets in my 375 Weatherby at 2550 fps. They are awesome. If you do shoot an elk with one make sure there isn't one behind him. Expansion as always with Woodleight soft points is 2x caliber, but penetration is amazing as well

I used 400 grain Swift A Frames and 400 grain Woodleigh hydros. I used maximum hand loads (77 grains of AR2208). Both shoot to the same point and both are very effective.

@PeteG: how should I read this observation? The higher weight causes the recoil to feel more like a push, or the higher weight makes it feel more like a snap?

Is this generally the case? Can others confirm this? Increasing or decreasing the weight of the bullet will have noticeable effects on felt recoil?

The 416 has a distinct push and not a sharp snap like the 300.
The 416 is fairly heavy too so takes a fair bit of the felt recoil.

I'm testing Atomic29 mono metal projectiles made in Australia and had great results on Sambar deer.
Currently testing the 365g in my 416 Rem Mag Model 70 Safari Express and found them very accurate in calibres tested so far in 325WSM,338Win Mag, 416 Rem Mag (expanded 365g .416cal recovered from wet sand bags at 100m)

IMG_20220422_184731_554.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinaFra

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with