404 Jeffrey at 1019 yards!!

I'm sure some of yall follow Mark and Sam After work on YouTube but if you don't is a man and wife in Australia I think that are all about llooonnnggg range shooting I mean 2 and 3k yards. I just saw a video where he uses his gunsmith's custom 404J with a dg scope to first sit 600 them 1019 yards. Yes I know it's reficulous range but it's impressive that such a cartridge is capable of making relatively consistent shots at that range. Just thought yall might be interested as well.
What's the energy of that round at 1020 yards??? I'm quite certain it was just to evaluate its potential long range accuracy.

Those of you that liked this here they are at it again. 303 long Tom and volley sights. You would think this is boring but I found it rather fascinating waiting for the hit.

404 and similar ( .318,333,350 416) were never military cartridges but used by them . Officially in we1 as counter sniper cartridges . 333 were bought in official capacity for that .
300 grain solid Piercing through heavy metal covers made a German Scharfshutzen day quite interesting on the Western front compared with a “ puny “ 174 grain .303 caliber

I once outshot a guy on the range with my .404

He was using his 6,5 match rifle

I shot on 200 meters grouped like his

On 300 meters , the same

On 400 meters a bit lower but good group

It was then he uttered the respect loosing words as Col Askins would said it by my guessing

“ big bores should been outlawed as they ruin much cardboard “

Actually in 1938 they did introduce a 175grain bullet for the 303. Here’s the low down.

In 1938 the .303 Mark VIIIZ round was approved to obtain greater effective range from the Vickers Medium Machine Gun. This round had a nitro-cellulose powder charge with a 175 grain boat tailed, streamline, jacketed bullet having a muzzle velocity of 2550 feet per second. Chamber pressure however was higher at 20 – 21 tons per square inch compared to the 19.5 tons per square inch of the Mark VII round.

They went away from it as it was I little explosive if dropped :A Stretcher:

They went away from it as it was I little explosive if dropped :A Stretcher:

Not sure what you are referring to. 303 mk8z was produced up to late 1990s (for use by Canadians).
Last production in UK was early 1960s.

Not sure what you are referring to. 303 mk8z was produced up to late 1990s (for use by Canadians).
Last production in UK was early 1960s.
Yes uk. Canada doesn’t count it’s just a colony:A Stirring:

My calculator shows Norma factory 450gr dropping 797 inches at 1000 yards. That’s some hold over!

I wonder what MOA bases they were using? I doubt most scopes have that much elevation built in. Zero with the reticle at the very bottom to get some extra elevation, add a 20 moa base and maybe they’re there? It’s too early for me to do the math.

All joking aside.
Interesting notes are the Dum Dum ammunition factory in India. Which where the name comes from for Dum dum rounds.
Learn something new everyday eh.

Attachments

• 303 British Service Cartridge By Roy Tebbutt | Harrington Aviation Museum.pdf
    175 KB · Views: 30
  • 303 British Service Cartridge By Roy Tebbutt | Harrington Aviation Museum.pdf
    175 KB · Views: 17
The man is a rifleman and he can shoot!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheronFosd

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg