.404 Jeffery

Hello,

I am in the process of building a 404 Jeffery Improved. We used a 300RUM to improve the chamber and the bolt face was opened up to the standard magnum size rather that the 404 size. I shall be using RUM brass and I am wondering if any one had done something similar. The action is an Enfield M17 so I should be able to use the full potential of the RUM brass, i.e. 65K psi. I have been looking at 404 load data and I guess I can use that as starting load and work up from there.
404-Improved.jpg
 
Does anyone have ballistics for the 300grn .404 I don't have a subscription for loaddata
 
Can help with 400gr,
 
I have nothing on 300gr but my 404J is 90% finished and my load of choice will be GS Customs 320gr at approximately 2700-2750 out of a 26” tube this should be enough for all I’m hunting.
I would like to know where I could get a reducing die for the .429 bullets.
Shawn
 
I would like to know where I could get a reducing die for the .429 bullets.
Shawn

I got an RCBS .423 lube/sizing die - I forget where I got it, either at a gun show or from an internet auction. I see RCBS doesn't list them in their current catalog, but you might contact them to see if they have any old stock or plans to make a run of them. The one that I have works well to reduce diameter of Oregon Trail .427 bullets, but I haven't had opportunity to fire the loads yet. They are light at only 200 grains- I'm casually looking for a 300 or so bullet mold.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have ballistics for the 300grn .404 I don't have a subscription for loaddata
Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS) Favorite?

This is all there is at loaddata.com. Looks like these are max loads, so dial it back 10% and start from there

300 Kynoch IMR IMR-3031 76.0 2,575
Remarks: energy: 4,420
300 Barnes IMR IMR-4895 75.0 2,550
Remarks: energy: 4,332
300 Lead Alliant 2400 22.0 1,400
Remarks: energy: 1,305; should have tissue wad to hold powder against case head

Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
300 Kynoch IMR IMR-3031 76.0 2,575
Remarks: energy: 4,420
300 Barnes IMR IMR-4895 75.0 2,550
Remarks: energy: 4,332
300 Lead Alliant 2400 22.0 1,400
Remarks: energy: 1,305; should have tissue wad to hold powder against case head
 
I'm casually looking for a 300 or so bullet mold.

Check out Accurate molds. They will custom make you one if you don't see what you want. I have a brass mould, once up to temp bullets fall out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have nothing on 300gr but my 404J is 90% finished and my load of choice will be GS Customs 320gr at approximately 2700-2750 out of a 26” tube this should be enough for all I’m hunting.
I would like to know where I could get a reducing die for the .429 bullets.
Shawn

Look for a RCBS .422 dia. die.

I did this with Sierra .429 diameter 300 gr FN, an the .422 die produced perfect .423 bullets.

HWL
 
Look for a RCBS .422 dia. die.

I did this with Sierra .429 diameter 300 gr FN, an the .422 die produced perfect .423 bullets.

HWL

Is that with the Jacketed bullets? If so, did the reduction affect the terminal performance?
 
I imagine that at even at mild rifle speeds these pistole bullets would explode upon impact but there would work great on groundhog and such just for trigger time.
Thanks I’ll be looking into this.
Shawn
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,088
Members
169,696
Latest member
pmetnewsfiblie1970
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top