Capt_Oscar

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, United States, South Africa
It's here! My 404 Jeffery custom build by Lane Precision Rifles. I was able to specify every detail on this and Dallas Lane delivered a SUPERB dangerous game rifle.

-Defiance Machine Rebel action with a sheep port and 20MOA pinned rail, controlled round feed, 3 position safety
-Trigger Tech Special at 2.5# timed to the action
-Douglas Premium XX barrel #5 contour
-HS Precision stock with full aluminum block, mercury recoil reducer, extra thick recoil pad finished to 14.25" LOP
-Custom paint and Cerakote
-Seekins Precision 30mm Rings
-Swarovski Z6EE 1-6×24 4A reticle
-Lane Precision Rifles custom fit, hard side case with roller wheels
LPR Hat (swag)
Tested for feed and zeroed at 100yds with Hornady 400gr DGX Bonded ammunition

That man can build a dream rifle!
(Finished weight when loaded with 3+1 11.5lbs)

For those wondering about Defiance Machine actions, even with the Cerakote, it's soooo smooooooth, zero binding, feeds like a dream.
0418221758.jpg
0418221800_HDR.jpg
0418221759.jpg
56194.jpg
55363.jpg
0418221758a.jpg

Huh, not what I was expecting.

No open sights, barrel band sling swivel, no walnut, no …. No problem. Pretty is as pretty does.

Looks tough as nails, hope it shoots like a tack driver and serves you well!

Unique for sure, glad it came out the way you wanted it to. Outstanding caliber choice, hope you put it to work soon.

Nice rifle! Will definitely withstand the beating it takes chasing buff and other critters through thick bush. Great caliber choice as well.

Definitely not a traditional type of 404Jeffery rifle , like Rell above I was expecting something else but as the saying goes , beauty is in the eye of the beholder . This rifle is beautiful in its own way and seems like it will be well suited for tough conditions and terrain . Congratulations ! May you have many happy hours of hunting with it .

Definitely not a traditional type of 404Jeffery rifle , like Rell above I was expecting something else but as the saying goes , beauty is in the eye of the beholder . This rifle is beautiful in its own way and seems like it will be well suited for tough conditions and terrain . Congratulations ! May you have many happy hours of hunting with it .
Iron sights do me zero good; can't see them without reading glasses. I have (2) of these scopes and can swap in the field if my scope had an issue. If there were a catastrophic failure at a critical moment, hopefully I have a trustworthy PH. Mine carries a DBL 500NE.

If it were to ever be sold, a new owner could easily add irons, but for me they're just taking valuable viewable area in the 1X setting on the Swaro.

Cheers and thanks for the comments!

It's here! My 404 Jeffery custom build by Lane Precision Rifles. I was able to specify every detail on this and Dallas Lane delivered a SUPERB dangerous game rifle.

-Defiance Machine Rebel action with a sheep port and 20MOA pinned rail, controlled round feed, 3 position safety
-HS Precision stock with full aluminum block, mercury recoil reducer, extra thick recoil pad finished to 14.25" LOP
LPR Hat (swag)

For those wondering about Defiance Machine actions, even with the Cerakote, it's soooo smooooooth, zero binding, feeds like a dream.View attachment 462553View attachment 462554View attachment 462555View attachment 462556View attachment 462557View attachment 462558
Congratulations! It's great to see a dream materialize. Any hunts planned yet?

Huh, not what I was expecting.

No open sights, barrel band sling swivel, no walnut, no …. No problem. Pretty is as pretty does.

Looks tough as nails, hope it shoots like a tack driver and serves you well!
Slings get hung up on stuff in the bush. Even going to the sticks they can take valuable time getting positioned for the shot. I don't see the utility of them so why add it. All my North American rifles have slings, my Africa rifles do not. To me, it's two different styles of hunting. Not saying a sling couldn't be added...

Pheroze - wanted to do a Buff hunt for my 50th Birthday, that date has passed so within the next 2yrs for sure. We got side tracked with some family (parents) health issues that took priority. We'll get there... I'd really like to do Buff, Croc, and possibly Hippo or Lioness. (Male Lion and Leopard are a bit out of my price range). Also would like to do Water Buffalo in Australia.

As a fellow lefty, that’s pretty slick. Been thinking of building something with that action myself. Thanks for sharing!

Where I'm from we'd call that a meat rifle,....a tool that simply works and gets the job done every time. I for one believe there is a place for cerakote /composite stocked rifles in Africa. .....Remembering a time on a sept Mozambique hunt close to the coast,......it never rains this time of year the PH said....as it rained 5 out of the 10 days I was there and every night consisted of taking apart fine wood stock rifles, oiling and cleaning them to death.

I just got back from a 2 week hunt in northern Limpopo RSA and it rained 4 of the days. Both of my rifles (nice walnut, blued) were soaked. My 404J was subjected to 3 days of crawling through the mopani - it was at this point I was wishing for an all-weather rifle such as what you had built. My rifle does have iron sights but I never took my scope off - my swaro Z8 is 0.75-6 and has the red dot. I am more comfortable with using that at close range than irons. My first shot was 40 yards, follow-up was 12 yards - for me, I didn’t have any desire to remove my optic.
i think you chose a rifle that meets your needs and that’s what truly matters. Hunt with it and enjoy it.

LPR Hat (swag)

For those wondering about Defiance Machine actions, even with the Cerakote, it's soooo smooooooth, zero binding, feeds like a dream.View attachment 462553View attachment 462554View attachment 462555View attachment 462556View attachment 462557View attachment 462558
A very nice & interesting rifle in one of my favorite calibers. Pardon my ignorance but I am not at all familiar with the action. Here are some of my questions, how many rounds does your rifle hold in the magazine? Will the action feed if you drop a round into the action? Push feed? Rails sometime obstruct ejection of loaded or fired cartridges? With a back up scope and foolproof mounts little need for iron sights, although if the rifle was being built for me then I would go with iron sights. Kind of like underwear just do not feel comfortable without them.

If you can, come do a free range hunt with us in Zim. Our prices are some of the best. Your .404J will have plenty of company, at the moment there are four in the rifle safe.

Lon

@Tokoloshe Safaris - it's control round feed so it must pull from the magazine well. 3 down plus 1 in the chamber. These Seekins Precision rings are so good, if you take the scope off and put it back on its point of impact shifts less then 1cm MAX. Little need to even resight if a scope swap was done in the field but that's extremely rare with a Swarovski. The Rebel action I ordered has a sheep port, a little more meat removed to enlarge the ejection port top and bottom. Even a loaded round flies right out on cycling. ZERO feed issues on her.

First range report - please note this is not a dialed in load for this rifle. Just used some ammo I had for another rifle. It's quite pedestrian in pressure. Shot 4, adjusted and shot 3 at 100yds.

Factors I consider. 1) Not a custom load for this rifle. 2) 100yds - by far the longest shot that should be taken at a Buff. 3) 44°F - wayyyyyy colder then actual hunting temps in Africa.

Having said that... There is real potential considering the load is a 400gr Swift A-Frame at 2305fps.
0419221701a~2.jpg

We were in the 20s in the mornings of some of our hunts. 44° is not out of the realm of possibility. That said, you would have no problem making a bad day for anything you take aim at.

Rifle looks good the bolt is on the wrong side.

Congratulations on the rifle.

LPR Hat (swag)

I am sitting here looking at your magnificent looking rifle, thinking that style rifle should be chambered in a cartridge of modern times like the 416 Ruger or one of the Weatherby rounds, then i realize you said it feeds like silk . modern cartridges with little body taper are shits of things to get to feed smoothly, the 404 with its taper is the answer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudreyDago

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]