.404 Jeffery (10.75x73mm Rimless Nitro Express) - appreciation thread

I suspect that a .333 Jeffery would be a more practical complement to this rifle and also that proper fettling to feed the .425 Westley Richards might be less enjoyable than you imagine BUT if anyone on this forum is going to get it done, that person is going to be you.! Have fun.
Thanks. Now I can't get my head through the door.

425 Westley Richards is rebated rim cartridge and I'm not interested in working out the cycling issues. I could probably figure it out but why bother. 425 Express is a "modern" (1980s) wildcat built on belted 300 Win Mag cartridge using 404 Jeffery bullets. Pretty much the same ballistics potential as 404J but a more practical case. Slightly sharper shoulder of 425 Express might make for a bit more of a challenge modifying standard length Mauser rails, but only a bit more difficult I suspect.

Thanks. Now I can't get my head through the door.

425 Westley Richards is rebated rim cartridge and I'm not interested in working out the cycling issues. I could probably figure it out but why bother. 425 Express is a "modern" (1980s) wildcat built on belted 300 Win Mag cartridge using 404 Jeffery bullets. Pretty much the same ballistics potential as 404J but a more practical case. Slightly sharper shoulder of 425 Express might make for a bit more of a challenge modifying standard length Mauser rails, but only a bit more difficult I suspect.
Sorry, I did not catch that. Interrupted sleep, of late. I remember reading an article about that development. The publication in question will be packed away at the moment, as I am moving house quite soon.
In regard to the ‘swollen head’ … just tell the missus OR any female relative. Problem sorted!

I’ve got a Mauser Type A made circa 1925 . It has an Oberndorff single square bridge magnum action ( astounding made pre 1919) . A real old war horse ex India with no bluing left on action and barrels . I replaced the cracked stock ( which I retain ) with an identical new stock . Happily shoots hand loads of 400 grain bullets at the original design speed of 2150fps . A great cartridge and rifle combo .

View attachment 622574View attachment 622575View attachment 622576View attachment 622577
Cool gun. My 404 Jeffery is also on a single square bridge magnum action. It’s made by WJ Jeffery & Co, London.

7B30B190-EABD-490C-B4AC-B818A00C1036.jpeg

here's mine modern classic: barrel with integral furniture, single square bridge GMA action with Smithson peep sight, Wiebe "soft" buttplate, Bastogne (not classic but pretty wood). Can't see worth a darn, but love irons and the peep helps...
View attachment 624328
Beautiful

I’ve got a Mauser Type A made circa 1925 . It has an Oberndorff single square bridge magnum action ( astounding made pre 1919) . A real old war horse ex India with no bluing left on action and barrels . I replaced the cracked stock ( which I retain ) with an identical new stock . Happily shoots hand loads of 400 grain bullets at the original design speed of 2150fps . A great cartridge and rifle combo .

View attachment 622574View attachment 622575View attachment 622576View attachment 622577
Do you happen to need a lung or a kidney?

My 404. Feels like an extension of my arm. Will take on anything that walks the earth with it! Been reblued already and almost all of it off again.

20211219_123844.jpg

Been blessed to have created many memories with it.

woo-who……it appears to have worked
Many thanks to 375 ruger fan for helping this Luddite….
Now to fill the forum with pictures of stuff….
Or maybe I’ll just lie down for a bit and when I’ve recovered I’ll just post interesting gun pictures
Gumpy

Image1723749411.039215.jpg

Love my 404 Jeff. Comes from the Cz custom shop and it’s the one second to the right. Hoping to take it to Africa next year along with my Dakota 76 pictured here as well. Thanks for all the information that you all have written. I’ve learned a lot.

I’ve just noticed, whilst drooling over the other rifles on here, I didn’t mention that the rear cross bolt on my rifle is internal behind the mag well which is bedded in, thus using the back of the well as another recoil lug
Gumpy

P.s. that cz looks nice

Mine is a very practical "working" rifle. A Parker-Hale 1100m. A nicer stock and shorter barrel would be ideal, but at the same time there's something very appealing about such a classic cartridge being a utilitarian work horse, like so many game department rifles.

I'll try and grab photos tomorrow. so far I've only fired the handloads that came with the rifle

View attachment 626567
View attachment 626568
View attachment 626570
Hope this worked.
It’s a Peruvian m98 that I opened up to take th 404 case, lother walther barrel necg sights, weaver 6x fixed scope, mashburn trigger (the one timney copied ) my own barrel band and cross bolts and a Parker Hale safety
Gumpy
Very nice. Trying to figure out the safety. Sort of a flag/wing safety on left side of bolt shroud? I thought most Parker Hale are trigger block on right side of receiver. I have something similar on my Springfield. Had to remove its trademark knurled striker knob to access it.

Very nice. Trying to figure out the safety. Sort of a flag/wing safety on left side of bolt shroud? I thought most Parker Hale are trigger block on right side of receiver. I have something similar on my Springfield. Had to remove its trademark knurled striker knob to access it.
The safety is off a safari model, it replaces the factory flag safety, only has two positions, on and off, easy to use with the thumb ( if you are right handed) , the later models hand the trigger block safety( and bolt lock) like on my 458 win mag shown in another thread, though I remove the bolt lock so I can still unload the rifle without taking the safety off.

CZ 550 - was born a 375 Holland - now a 404 Jeffery, thanks to a Lothar Walther transplant.

IMG_1844.jpeg

Buff horn tip and Pachmayr pad added by Ross Waghorn.

It’s very accurate, feeds perfectly and seems to work well on pigs.

IMG_8939.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NathanStre

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com