4 Bore Falling Block Rifle

I have this Eley 4 bore shotgun cartridge..the more I look at it the less I wanna fire it..

I'm not sure I would call him a moron. It is not like he set out to try and kill himself. It was an accident, nothing staged to get clicks.

You can think of him any way you want, realize a few things. His personality on YouTube is probably not the same in real life. He makes a lot of money doing what he does. He makes enough from YouTube he doesn't work a 9-5 anymore. All the guns he tests out, tax write off... it's for his business.

How many of us on here are grinding it out day in and day out. He is shooting shit on YouTube and getting paid well for it. I'm not sure what that makes me...

He shot the wrong type of antique, compromised ammo out of a questionable firearm. He was acting like a goon right before the incident and has admitted that the dumber he acts the more views he gets. I think he realizes how he's viewed by most people over the age of 25. Unfortunately the majority of his viewers are probably 18 and under. Usually not the most discerning of people. Certainly the most impressionable.

If you want to do what he does, go for it.

I'm not sure I would call him a moron. It is not like he set out to try and kill himself. It was an accident, nothing staged to get clicks.

You can think of him any way you want, realize a few things. His personality on YouTube is probably not the same in real life. He makes a lot of money doing what he does. He makes enough from YouTube he doesn't work a 9-5 anymore. All the guns he tests out, tax write off... it's for his business.

How many of us on here are grinding it out day in and day out. He is shooting shit on YouTube and getting paid well for it. I'm not sure what that makes me...
How does one get in on a deal like that?

It makes us hard working, productive members of a functioning society. Polls show that young people view money and fame as more important than even patriotism. Let's hope that more people turn to grinding it out as you say.

Yourself and a lot of other folks here probably have enough experience with firearms and hunting to make quality YT channels. Unfortunately, many of the down to earth guys struggle with viewership.

Thanks, I enjoyed that. It kicks a tad more than my 13 lb 577NE single shot!
I don't mind his comical style. Its his brand of showmanship. He might be quite different off of camera.

It makes us hard working, productive members of a functioning society. Polls show that young people view money and fame as more important than even patriotism. Let's hope that more people turn to grinding it out as you say.

Yourself and a lot of other folks here probably have enough experience with firearms and hunting to make quality YT channels. Unfortunately, many of the down to earth guys struggle with viewership.

I'd be viewed as boring, I'm very analytical. Hell the last 22 match I shot I weighted every round into batches that were within .02 grains. We shot out to 483 yard, was trying to gain every advantage possible.

I'd be viewed as boring, I'm very analytical. Hell the last 22 match I shot I weighted every round into batches that were within .02 grains. We shot out to 483 yard, was trying to gain every advantage possible.
@Inline6
Did you then batch into rim thickness as well.
I know of some who go to that extreme
Bob

I fell asleep just reading that.

J/K

What kind of rigs are you shooting with and what kind of targets at 483 yds? I've been curious to build a serious long range .22.

@Inline6
Did you then batch into rim thickness as well.
I know of some who go to that extreme
Bob

No, I was not able to go to distance before hand to collect data. My labradar nor my V3 was picking them up. After the match was able to get velocity. Figured out the V3 and found I was better off just grabbing them out of the box. I'm shooting Lapua Super Long Range ammo. It really is good stuff.

I fell asleep just reading that.

J/K

What kind of rigs are you shooting with and what kind of targets at 483 yds? I've been curious to build a serious long range .22.

After the match we went to 600 yards. I did not connect others did.

Rigs are vortex premier nothing fancy. The rings are easy, the other stuff is a little more involved and costly.

He is using smokeless powder in that. Probably 120 grains or so of Blue Dot. That is going to limit the performance that he can get out of that. 200 ft/lbs of recoil is pretty low for a 4 bore. I usually use 400 to 450 grain charges of black powder in mine and that is 350+ ft/lbs of recoil. Black powder with a patent breech is going to work better than smokeless in one of these.

His act is kind of stupid, but so what. Its working for him.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 7.42.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 7.42.23 AM.png
    853.3 KB · Views: 73
The guy is entertaining in a raw redneck kinda way, I found it enjoyable. Expensive gun thats really impractical. I'd never shoot it thats for sure, but I'd love to see a video putting one of those slugs into an elephant on a frontal brain shot or through both shoulder of a cape buffalo

Here's an update: 4 bore vs. body armor (soft and hard). Still not peer-reviewed science, but pretty fascinating to see the effects of all that energy on armor and ballistics gel.

Watching him pull out the 5-6"+ of soft body armor embedded in the ballistics gel torso is wild! Also what it does to the skull at the end. :E Wow:

he just came out with a new ballistics gel video of this firearm. i dont know what all the drama about, this dude has immense knowledge of firearms, he just likes to be goofy and tries to be entertaining. Hes really a good guy. Most of the true morons wouldnt post their accedents on youtube. He wanted to help people learn from his mistakes which i commend. he's also a veteran so there's that.

he just came out with a new ballistics gel video of this firearm. i dont know what all the drama about, this dude has immense knowledge of firearms, he just likes to be goofy and tries to be entertaining. Hes really a good guy. Most of the true morons wouldnt post their accedents on youtube. He wanted to help people learn from his mistakes which i commend. he's also a veteran so there's that.
I agree for the most part but IIRC he never actually said he did anything wrong when his 50 bmg blew up so I think he primarily posted about the accident because he knew he would get a LOT of views….. If he was truly concerned about what is probably a majority of teenagers (ie kids) who watch his stuff then he would have been straight forward and honest and said “I’m an idiot, I did something stupid, DO NOT DO THIS” but he didn’t.. What was funny but sad was that other YouTubers including Serbu all theorized on what went wrong and the Kentucky guy was obviously at fault but they all said something like “he did nothing wrong”. It was literally like watching CNN when anchors get a talking point. Everyone was terrified to say he messed up due to his popularity…

You forget that this guy almost killed himself?
Almost killed himself? I thought that was the idea of DG hunting as a sport, as opposed to defense of crops, or cropping sick animals. I try not to do stupid stuff, but I tought myself to rock and ice climb from books as a 12 year, old and am still here, and that was just for starters. Of course avoiding a Darwin award, or footnote, is certainly on my bucket list.

Despite his bonzo approach to video, he doesn't seem to be stupid. Not my culture.

I wonder if he was playing up the recoil. Some wiry nothings can shoot rifles with 100 FP of energy in recoil. And how bad was the recoil velocity on that thing. Early BP shooters did complain of pretty dramatic negative effects from their cannons.

He seemed to be playing up the rifle weight, there are plenty of small folk shooting position rifles that weigh 12 pounds and if you got 4 of them together, they probably couldn't bench 400 lbs.

That bullet barely made it though the 4th bottle. Shows how the switch to 6.5 and 7mm solids made sense.

Almost killed himself? I thought that was the idea of DG hunting as a sport, as opposed to defense of crops, or cropping sick animals. I try not to do stupid stuff, but I tought myself to rock and ice climb from books as a 12 year, old and am still here, and that was just for starters. Of course avoiding a Darwin award, or footnote, is certainly on my bucket list.

Despite his bonzo approach to video, he doesn't seem to be stupid. Not my culture.

I wonder if he was playing up the recoil. Some wiry nothings can shoot rifles with 100 FP of energy in recoil. And how bad was the recoil velocity on that thing. Early BP shooters did complain of pretty dramatic negative effects from their cannons.

He seemed to be playing up the rifle weight, there are plenty of small folk shooting position rifles that weigh 12 pounds and if you got 4 of them together, they probably couldn't bench 400 lbs.

That bullet barely made it though the 4th bottle. Shows how the switch to 6.5 and 7mm solids made sense.
That’s not how he almost killed himself

I agree for the most part but IIRC he never actually said he did anything wrong when his 50 bmg blew up so I think he primarily posted about the accident because he knew he would get a LOT of views….. If he was truly concerned about what is probably a majority of teenagers (ie kids) who watch his stuff then he would have been straight forward and honest and said “I’m an idiot, I did something stupid, DO NOT DO THIS” but he didn’t..
So what did he do that was wrong? He did say the ammo was sketchy, and claimed there was nothing he could do to deal with that. (weighing it might have been prudent). AH has it's share of sketchy ammo for big bores with poor ammo availability... And tired guns.

If he didn't think he was at fault, why should he say so. The YT enviro actually pays out on videos about how I goofed. The YT enviro is not 100% armory experts, people do dumb stuff, so he may be wrong about his fault, but I don't see the need to attack him for it. Is he violating the honour code, or does he just not see the problem.

I'm not worried about the kids. Who has the money to spend on a Serbu 50, and SLAP ammo, whatever that is, and why would they want to. They are all trying to pay for their fentanyl.

So what did he do that was wrong? He did say the ammo was sketchy, and claimed there was nothing he could do to deal with that. (weighing it might have been prudent). AH has it's share of sketchy ammo for big bores with poor ammo availability... And tired guns.

If he didn't think he was at fault, why should he say so. The YT enviro actually pays out on videos about how I goofed. The YT enviro is not 100% armory experts, people do dumb stuff, so he may be wrong about his fault, but I don't see the need to attack him for it. Is he violating the honour code, or does he just not see the problem.

I'm not worried about the kids. Who has the money to spend on a Serbu 50, and SLAP ammo, whatever that is, and why would they want to. They are all trying to pay for their fentanyl.
Leaving all speculation aside, he kept on shooting when it was patently obvious there was an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RossAlcala

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

the best gear
  • Accurate Powders
  • Alliant Powder
  • Hodgdon Powder
  • RAMSHOT
  • Winchester Powders
  • Winchester
  • CCI
  • Federal
  • Remington
  • .458 Caliber
  • 10MM
  • 270 Caliber
  • 7MM
  • 8MM
  • 9MM
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.