4 Bore Falling Block Rifle

Louis Toadvine

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Scott from Kentucky Ballistics (the YouTube guy who almost died when his 50 BMG blew up) just unveiled his newest rifle: a custom 4 bore falling block rifle.

Looks like the biggest Ruger No. 1 you've ever seen! 20lb rifle, shooting 2,100+ grain bullets, producing ~200lbs of recoil energy.

From what I remember, this forum isn't the biggest fan of this guy, but I figured the big bore fans here would get a kick out of this thing.

Interesting rifle for sure, normally a Double Rifle cartridge but a few single break actions made in modern times .

I have a H&H 4 Bore cartridge in my collection, would really like a Old packet for the collection, that & a 600NE packet, I have a .700NE in the display !

Interesting rifle for sure, normally a Double Rifle cartridge but a few single break actions made in modern times .

I have a H&H 4 Bore cartridge in my collection, would really like a Old packet for the collection, that & a 600NE packet, I have a .700NE in the display !

Very cool. I know I've seen a few modern 4 bore doubles around the forum, notably the one @SAFARIKIDD owned. This was the first single shot/falling block one I've seen.

The way it snapped the 2x4 in half and
atomized the paint on the steel target was impressive, as was the destruction of the cinderblocks and water jugs. I bet his shoulder was sore for a few days!

Very cool. I know I've seen a few modern 4 bore doubles around the forum, notably the one @SAFARIKIDD owned. This was the first single shot/falling block one I've seen.

The way it snapped the 2x4 in half and
atomized the paint on the steel target was impressive, as was the destruction of the cinderblocks and water jugs. I bet his shoulder was sore for a few days!
Wouldn't it have been nice to have a more scientific approach to the testing of this rifle...???
No chronograph results. No recovered bullet weights. While I admire him for his field expedient medical prowess, the video was a waste.
Neat rifle though... William Christian Four Bore. Last sale price I saw was north of $20k.
About the theatrics:
The atomized paint was the result of 4.8 ounces of lead striking the target face and some of it splattering off. We also know nothing of the surface preparation and painting of the target.

The snapped board was the result of the target stand being staked down and a longer board being used with that much energy. The target was quite tall.

Water bottles and milk jugs are not pressure vessels. Put the water in 2 liter soda bottles and there is a difference in resistance and thus penetration experienced. A blue sterilite bin filled with water would likely have caught the bullet due to its ability to expand and absorb the initial shock.

Neat rifle though... William Christian Four Bore. Last sale price I saw was north of $20k.
About the theatrics:
The atomized paint was the result of 4.8 ounces of lead striking the target face and some of it splattering off. We also know nothing of the surface preparation and painting of the target.

The snapped board was the result of the target stand being staked down and a longer board being used with that much energy. The target was quite tall.

Water bottles and milk jugs are not pressure vessels. Put the water in 2 liter soda bottles and there is a difference in resistance and thus penetration experienced. A blue sterilite bin filled with water would likely have caught the bullet due to its ability to expand and absorb the initial shock.
Why is the video a waste?
And he shooting targets for fun not for scientific purposes

Why is the video a waste?
And he shooting targets for fun not for scientific purposes
I would've liked to see the ballistics side of it. A child throwing tables and cinder blocks around just isn't my cup of tea. He does look like he can handle the rifle for what it's worth. Of course we have no idea how fast the bullet is going...or how much powder is involved, but it knocked a target down and broke some bottles and blocks.

My kids like this guy and thought the video was very cool. For them his videos are actually a really good way to help them understand the immense energy imparted by a bullet, why it’s deadly and a good reminder to follow basic firearms safety like having a good back stop because that bullet May go though and you want it to stop. Besides kids getting into shooting sports is always cool. So while not super scientific I wouldn’t say it is a waste either…

My kids like this guy and thought the video was very cool. For them his videos are actually a really good way to help them understand the immense energy imparted by a bullet, why it’s deadly and a good reminder to follow basic firearms safety like having a good back stop because that bullet May go though and you want it to stop. Besides kids getting into shooting sports is always cool. So while not super scientific I wouldn’t say it is a waste either…
You forget that this guy almost killed himself? I'm guessing Tex Grebner is another favorite alongside Mr. Glock Fawty and Mr. Crimson Trace 1911 Hand? Now he's working on his SNL Sean Connery Jeopardy routine of "The Pen Is Mightier"with the big guns.

So a gun exploding from a surplus round is his fault. He can’t please everyone so it sounds like you should watch a scientific YouTube channel. Some of us like to shoot out guns without being all scientific.

You forget that this guy almost killed himself? I'm guessing Tex Grebner is another favorite alongside Mr. Glock Fawty and Mr. Crimson Trace 1911 Hand? Now he's working on his SNL Sean Connery Jeopardy routine of "The Pen Is Mightier"with the big guns.
I’ve actually used that video of his .50 cal for educational purposes on why you should only use the correct ammo in good safe condition and not some sketchy surplus stuff. And if you’ve ever tried to explain scientific ballistics (which I personally nerd out on) to an 8 year old you’ll lose them quick. An 8 year old wants to make tin cans bounce and watermelons explode.

Scott from Kentucky Ballistics (the YouTube guy who almost died when his 50 BMG blew up) just unveiled his newest rifle: a custom 4 bore falling block rifle.

Looks like the biggest Ruger No. 1 you've ever seen! 20lb rifle, shooting 2,100+ grain bullets, producing ~200lbs of recoil energy.

From what I remember, this forum isn't the biggest fan of this guy, but I figured the big bore fans here would get a kick out of this thing.

@Louis Toadvine
Ifn y'all want real power a gent in England built a 2 bore black powder rifle. When it was proof fired in the London proof house it took a long time with the extraction fans to clear the smoke.
Screenshot_20230421-084027_Chrome.jpg

Bob

What would it have shown? He could not have put enough of it on the table to stop the bullet.
Yeah, he should've been shooting an old Chevy truck's engine block with it. A 454CI. I'm bored seeing these videos of large bore rifles shooting Vegemite containers and soup cans. I want to see what they do to an engine block! LOL

Yeah, he should've been shooting an old Chevy truck's engine block with it. A 454CI. I'm bored seeing these videos of large bore rifles shooting Vegemite containers and soup cans. I want to see what they do to an engine block! LOL

To be fair he did try shooting a cast steel fire hydrant, but the moron couldn't even get that right and almost killed himself.

To be fair he did try shooting a cast steel fire hydrant, but the moron couldn't even get that right and almost killed himself.

I'm not sure I would call him a moron. It is not like he set out to try and kill himself. It was an accident, nothing staged to get clicks.

You can think of him any way you want, realize a few things. His personality on YouTube is probably not the same in real life. He makes a lot of money doing what he does. He makes enough from YouTube he doesn't work a 9-5 anymore. All the guns he tests out, tax write off... it's for his business.

How many of us on here are grinding it out day in and day out. He is shooting shit on YouTube and getting paid well for it. I'm not sure what that makes me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaemswarren

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt