375hh load data

62flint

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
SA
I am surprised, I have searched this thread and not found as much load data on a 375hh as i thought I would.
Hopefully I will have my first 375 in my hands this month. Then on to load development, I really like to shoot and I have a1000 yards range behind my house. Do not expect to stretch it to 1000 yards but who knows.
I hope to first regulate the irons with a factory load, 270gr or so. then put my scope on and work up a 250gr and 300 gr load. I have had good luck with Barnes and would like a ttsx load for North América/plains game and a 300 gr load for buffalo.

The Barnes TSX 300 gain is a great choice for stuff that bites you up close and personal. Because of the lack of powders and of course primers working up a load is made more difficult. You will also find that because the 300 grain TSX is longer you can't use as much powder.

I went with the Big Game powder recommended by the Barnes folks and got a very good accurate load with 73.5 grains. Comes out at an average of 2460. I also have been shooting it at my county place using a Dutch Elm tree as a backstop. So far I have shot two of them down that were about 2 feet in diameter. I just dug out one of the 300 grain bullets and it had stayed together and weighed 300 grains after going into the tree.

Pretty sure that is good enough for anything that might bite back.

My rifle is a Winchester Mod. 70.

I am surprised, I have searched this thread and not found as much load data on a 375hh as i thought I would.
Hopefully I will have my first 375 in my hands this month. Then on to load development, I really like to shoot and I have a1000 yards range behind my house. Do not expect to stretch it to 1000 yards but who knows.
I hope to first regulate the irons with a factory load, 270gr or so. then put my scope on and work up a 250gr and 300 gr load. I have had good luck with Barnes and would like a ttsx load for North América/plains game and a 300 gr load for buffalo.

300gr AFrames and don't worry about the rest. They have worked for me 300 yards and in. Would have no problem taking them to 500 if required.

Use 300gr and heavier......340gr and 350gr are ideal buffalo weights @ 2300fps or there abouts. ..

I load 250 for plains game and 300's for larger game. I also am a huge Barnes fan using ttsx in all mid bore and down and tsx's for all big bore and heavy loads for large animals. I have had fantastic results with IMR4350 in the 375 and 9.3 calibers . I have gotten to where I exclusively use Barnes with very very few exceptions and have never had one fail. Plinking and general target ammo I will load cheap Hornady or whatever is on sale but any time I am seriously out to hunt you can bet there will be Barnes bullets in my guns.
Additionally, for years I had curbed my 416 Ruger due to Hornady being the only available loads. That changed once I bought dies to load for it. With a 400 grain Barnes that thing is a serious hammer.
My last African trip I took my 30-06 loaded with TTSX's using IMR4064. It was an absolutely deadly combination. The only hiccups I had was due to very poor shot placement on one animal. Certainly not the bullet's fault.
Sorry, went down a rabbit hole there, anway; the Barnes in 375 is a fantastic combo. Lighter bullets pack a huge whollup and a 375 shooting a 250 is a great elk and mule deer combo. I am very very confident out to 400 yards with it. I would assume that would work extremely well on moose or large bears as well though I have no experience with either. Perhaps someone who does can chime in. I use the standard load data out of the Barnes book, my loads are up there with the max loads for given bullets and it seems to work well. For whatever reason I have noticed a little better accuracy allowing for a small amount of bullet jump, i.e. factory overall length recommendation. I've tried scooting bullets forward with Barnes bullets and noticed a reduction in accuracy. I'm not sure why this is but it seems to be a thing accross the board on all the calibers I load for.

I thought he said buffalo......I was presuming Cape Buffalo. ....apologies.

300gr anything and IMR4350.

250gr anything and H4895.

My rifle is a a M70. I’ve used 250s for PG, not a bad choice. But I’ve kind of come full circle now and just loading 300s. I used them for PG on last trip and didn’t think once I wish I had the flatter 250s. And I was prepared for Buffalo if my double broke.

Same plan for my next trip to Moz this coming July.

300gr anything and IMR4350.

250gr anything and H4895.

My rifle is a a M70. I’ve used 250s for PG, not a bad choice. But I’ve kind of come full circle now and just loading 300s. I used them for PG on last trip and didn’t think once I wish I had the flatter 250s. And I was prepared for Buffalo if my double broke.

Same plan for my next trip to Moz this coming July.
Wise man....

I have gotten very good accuracy with 270 gr. Barnes and RL-15.

I have gotten very good accuracy with 270 gr. Barnes and RL-15.
270gr is the wrong way to go for Cape buffalo......

I am going to work up a 250gr Barnes for North America and a 300 grain Barnes for Africa.
I may try a frames if I can find any.

270gr is the wrong way to go for Cape buffalo......
I didn't say it was, but for most other hunting it does well in the .375 in the 30 years I have been shooting it vs lighter weight bullets.

Reactions: IvW
The Barnes TSX 300 gain is a great choice for stuff that bites you up close and personal. Because of the lack of powders and of course primers working up a load is made more difficult. You will also find that because the 300 grain TSX is longer you can't use as much powder.

I went with the Big Game powder recommended by the Barnes folks and got a very good accurate load with 73.5 grains. Comes out at an average of 2460. I also have been shooting it at my county place using a Dutch Elm tree as a backstop. So far I have shot two of them down that were about 2 feet in diameter. I just dug out one of the 300 grain bullets and it had stayed together and weighed 300 grains after going into the tree.

Pretty sure that is good enough for anything that might bite back.

My rifle is a Winchester Mod. 70.
RL 15.5

For the .375 I have kept it simple. 71 grains of RL15, CCI 250 primer, and a 270 or 300 grain bullet. Out of my two 375s this has given nice accuracy and velocity. I have my Remington 700 zeroed with 270 grain TSX at 2630 FPS for Alaskan hunting of big bears and moose. For my Mauser 375 I am planning on Buffalo hunting with I plan on using the same powder charge with a 300 grain A-Frame for around 2500 FPS. I havent actually worked this load up yet with this bullet, but have with the 300 grain DGX and was happy with accuracy and velocity. I will start a bit lower with A-Frame, but have no reason to believe 71 grains wont work well with A-Frame as well.

My 375HH Whitworth/Zastava always performed the best with 300grain bullets

I only shoot 300 grain bullets in .375 as they work extremely well. The load my son and I shoot in both of our .375 H&H’s is 70.0 grains of Reloader 15, Federal 215 primer and whichever 300 grain bullet you want. We’ve shot TSX, Bearclaws, A-Frames and Partitions with that load and all group well in both rifles. We get a bit over 2,400 fps in our rifles.

Im leaving in 5 weeks with my 375 for a Lord Derby Eland hunt in Cameroon and will be taking Bearclaws and TSX’s. With Eland in large breeding herds, my PH wants a Bearclaw for first shot to lessen likelihood of a pass through, with TSX’s for follow up shots.

I think you’ll find the load I’ve mentioned to be a favorite of many 375 H&H shooters, it’s pretty common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diuwingame

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]