375 Ruger vs 375 HH

Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby (shoots factory 375 H&H as all 375 Weatherby's do), 7.5 lbs with Leupold 2-7x Firedot scope.

bVcnJxl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ballistically speaking, both calibers are roughly identical in terms of performance. Outside the United States though, ammunition for the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is easier to find (due to multiple brands manufacturing it).

After the First World War, Holland & Holland (due to being unable to source fresh Magnum Mauser actions) started building their .375 Magnum magazine rifles on standard opened up army surplus Mauser actions. During the 1950s & 1960s, they were using opened up FN Mauser actions for their .375 Magnum magazine rifles without any problems. Clearly, the removal of some material was not an impediment to the firearm’s reliability or safety.

I took this Cape buffalo bull with a Holland & Holland .375 Magnum rifle that was built on an opened up standard length F.N Mauser action. The rifle functioned as smooth as butter.
IMG_1795.jpeg

I went with the 375 Ruger for a couple of reasons.
First, it is available in a easy to find controlled feed left handed action, the Ruger Hawkeye African.
Second was I liked the feel of the rifle and looks. The barrel band and walnut stick with cross bolt has the look.

Finding ammo has not been a problem, my local gun store either has it in stock or can order what I need or I can order it online.
Safari Outdoor in Jo’burg had 375 Ruger in stock.

I have not had any issues with the stock splitting or ammo sticking.
3 of the guys going with me in June 2025 are also carrying 375 Rugers.
2 have the Guide gun and one has the African.

Weight can be an advantage. not long back from a Chamois hunt in Nez Zealand and I carried my Steyr Prohunter, it is not light but if I need to shoot off hand the weight helps steady the rifle especially if you are breathing hard. The rifle and scope would be close to or just over 9lb.

I went with the 375 Ruger for a couple of reasons.
First, it is available in a easy to find controlled feed left handed action, the Ruger Hawkeye African.
Second was I liked the feel of the rifle and looks. The barrel band and walnut stick with cross bolt has the look.

Finding ammo has not been a problem, my local gun store either has it in stock or can order what I need or I can order it online.
Safari Outdoor in Jo’burg had 375 Ruger in stock.

I have not had any issues with the stock splitting or ammo sticking.
3 of the guys going with me in June 2025 are also carrying 375 Rugers.
2 have the Guide gun and one has the African.
Definitely not Africa, but the Ruger Alaskan rifles in 375 & 416 Ruger are favorites.

I appreciate the history of the 375 H&H. Have several. But, the little Ruger rifles and cartridges have become my users, here in Alaska.

Ballistically, probably not 2 cents usable realistically difference between the 375 Ruger & H&H, nor the 416 Ruger and Remington. No complaints about accuracy of any.

Not that it is a mountain shaking difference, I like the shorter bolt throw of the Ruger cartridges.

As to brass sticking, the only 2 times that has occurred, was in 2 different 416 Ruger rifles. Which both had very slight chamber flaws. Both required a little chamber polishing.

The 375 Ruger, I use published data (though a longer COAL) with 270 grain TTSX for ~ 2720 fps out of 20" barrel
The 416 Ruger, non-published data for ~ 2520 fps with 350 grain TTSX. Never an issue with brass, primers, extraction. I have shot one load to ~2560 without issue. Backed down, because 2500 was my original goal for this bullet.

I have had rifles in the 375 Ruger since shortly after its introduction. I still have a first production run blued/walnut. I prefer the 20" stainless model s for my hunting. Though do have a 23.5" stainless that I had an aftermarket barrel install and other work. Great rifle, but I like the 20" factory barrels just fine, and prefer to use the shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChandaTanc

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.