375 Ruger brass

Reaction score
Gents, a beautiful good morning to all.

Is there a shortage of 375 Ruger brass, here in South-Africa it is very difficult to find lately, has Hornady ceased production or are they just not exporting due to low demand etc?

They are refusing to make cases available for reloading. All of their production is going into loaded ammo only, to gain more profit.

Allegedly, shortages of materials and workers due to covid was why they couldn't keep up with demand - after three years, I believe those excuses to be bullshit. They make more money on loaded ammo than on cases for reloading, so no reloading components for us!

As you may discern, I am more than little pissed at being taken in by their marching band/gala advertising of the new cartridge and then being left high and dry for component cases. No more "greatest thing since sliced bread" new cartridges for me!!!! Being left out in the cold on this is no fun.

I played their game and bought the 300gr DG ammo to get cases. However, I will never again fall for the "New & Improved Gazork slaying new cartridge" game.

No other manufacturer will make cases/the cartridge because it has "Ruger" in it - no Federal, no Winchester, Remington goes out of business every other year - it is a rotten shame - the cartridge is excellent, but is being strangled by politics and greed.

Thanks for above explanation, its a pity this is the road they chose, a great cartridege for sure but loaded ammunition is very expensive this part of the world, and reloading is part of the process for the perfect hunt for me.

They are refusing to make cases available for reloading. All of their production is going into loaded ammo only, to gain more profit.

Allegedly, shortages of materials and workers due to covid was why they couldn't keep up with demand - after three years, I believe those excuses to be bullshit. They make more money on loaded ammo than on cases for reloading, so no reloading components for us!

As you may discern, I am more than little pissed at being taken in by their marching band/gala advertising of the new cartridge and then being left high and dry for component cases. No more "greatest thing since sliced bread" new cartridges for me!!!! Being left out in the cold on this is no fun.

I played their game and bought the 300gr DG ammo to get cases. However, I will never again fall for the "New & Improved Gazork slaying new cartridge" game.

No other manufacturer will make cases/the cartridge because it has "Ruger" in it - no Federal, no Winchester, Remington goes out of business every other year - it is a rotten shame - the cartridge is excellent, but is being strangled by politics and greed.

You are certainly within your right to be mad/upset. However, I would slightly disagree with your accusations towards Hornady. Hornady, like all the major ammunition and component makers, is playing catch up from the COVID days and there is a lot of demand and hoarding going on. I believe they are also recovering from a fire/explosion at their factory that killed some employees.

Buying loaded ammo, in order to obtain brass for reloading, isn't that outrageous of a proposition for the 375 Ruger. Brass for the 375 Ruger runs about $1 per case (375 H&H is $1.40/case and 416 Rigby is $3/case). A quality bullet is $1 or more. Loaded ammo for the 375 Ruger can be had for a little over $3 per round. Very reasonably priced ammunition when you compare it to many of the old line, classic calibers. BTW, Swift does produce 375 Ruger ammo with a 300 gr A-Frame bullet, as I have a few boxes of it.

Go buy 2-3 boxes of ammo and enjoy shooting it at the range or hunting. Then you will have some nice, once shot, fire formed brass for your rifle. Of course now you will have to source some magnum primers and that's not an easy or cheap proposition these days either.

You are certainly within your right to be mad/upset. However, I would slightly disagree with your accusations towards Hornady. Hornady, like all the major ammunition and component makers, is playing catch up from the COVID days and there is a lot of demand and hoarding going on. I believe they are also recovering from a fire/explosion at their factory that killed some employees.

Buying loaded ammo, in order to obtain brass for reloading, isn't that outrageous of a proposition for the 375 Ruger. Brass for the 375 Ruger runs about $1 per case (375 H&H is $1.40/case and 416 Rigby is $3/case). A quality bullet is $1 or more. Loaded ammo for the 375 Ruger can be had for a little over $3 per round. Very reasonably priced ammunition when you compare it to many of the old line, classic calibers. BTW, Swift does produce 375 Ruger ammo with a 300 gr A-Frame bullet, as I have a few boxes of it.

Go buy 2-3 boxes of ammo and enjoy shooting it at the range or hunting. Then you will have some nice, once shot, fire formed brass for your rifle. Of course now you will have to source some magnum primers and that's not an easy or cheap proposition these days either.
I begrudgingly agree with this assessment. It drives me nuts when I can't find components, but also if the price per round is really in the ballpark, I'd get the ammo and save the cases. As a bonus, don't forget to chrono the rounds so that you have the FPS data for your rifle.

I know you mentioned being in SA, but if there's a site like gunbroker there, it may be worth it to search for fired brass being resold. I've had luck finding secondary market brass on a few hard to find calibers over here, but obviously that dependent on the sites available. I just set an alert so I don't have to check all the time.

I also agree.
I talked with guys from Hornady at the SHOT show. I was told they are making ammo as fast as they can. Also that Safari Cartridges are a limited run for them.
A guy from Shooters World Powder pointed out that we Americans don’t realize that the rest of the world has conflicts going on.
That eats up loading component.

Brass, primers and powder are out there, just have to look. I have bought 2 boxes of new 375 Ruger brass and some used brass out of the classifieds.
Also found Winchester magnum large rifle primers, for $140 per thousand from a local power primer dealer.

You want to talk hard to find, 450-400 NE.

I kinda don’t mind the $75 per box for loaded 375Ruger, I get to practice with the gun
then reload a quality bullet for DG ( I gave up on swift AF ) north fork & barns TSX
these days beggars can’t be choosy , and besides the 270gr Rp sp kills North American game & I get the bonus brass

Last edited:
You want to talk hard to find, 450-400 NE.

Yep, no brass seemingly available for 450-400, but lots of ammo is.

Try 275 Rigby. Yes, 7x57 is the same and can be used, but if you need 275 Rigby headstamped brass or ammo, next to impossible right now.

I picked up some 375 Dakota brass a few weeks back because I know it's unobtanium. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it, but sometimes you carpe diem and decide later.

I wrote an email to Hornady this morning and they replied within a few hours. That's fairly impressive, to say the least.

Thank you for your email. We are currently out of stock on the 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger brass and do not have a date as to when it will be available to ship as a component item. The focus is primarily on loading the ammunition to help get more of that product out the door since we are so overwhelmed with orders and behind on just about everything. We apologize for the wait on this product and we appreciate your continued patience with us on this. At this time, the best would be to place a standing order with your local dealer or there are reputable mail order retailers offering a 'Notify Me' list to which you would sign up on. Then when they receive the product, they will notify you. You would then contact them ASAP and place the order with them. Following are a few suggestions:

- Graf & Sons – www.grafs.com – ph 800-531-2666
- Midway USA – www.midwayusa.com – ph 800-243-3220
- Natchez Shooters Supply – www.natchezss.com – ph 800-251-7839
- Precision Reloading - https://www.precisionreloading.com - ph 800-223-0900

Please understand that we are producing and shipping product as fast as we can. Thank you again. We appreciate your business.

Hornady/SnapSafe Sales Team
Phone: 1-800-338-3220
Email: sales@hornady.com
www.hornady.com

Careful! Just saying...

Screenshot_20240713_173326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeulahLomb

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?