375 H&H Question

Realistically, if you're hunting plains game with a .375 you'll do perfectly well with the 270gr bullet. Pretty much any on the market today will kill plains game stone dead with a well-placed shot. If you go 300 and you don't mind the extra push, go for it.

My go-to is the Speer 270gr BTSP. Never had an animal walk more than a few yards--provided my shot was well placed.

@PARA45
My answer will not answer all your exact questions, but here it is, hoping you will get a rought idea:

On my first hunt for PG, I used camp rifle steyr 375 H&H. And all went down. My first shot on Oryx was bad, so Oryx was wonded but tracked on spoor and I took second shot. The rest was one shot kills from warthog to kudu.

Ammo used on that hunt was local PMP.
So, for PG, I dont see much philosophy with 375 H&H, about this and that.

My second PG hunt, was again with camp gun, but this time mauser 98 in 300 H&H.
All went down, PMP, and PPU if I remember correctly, including zebra stallion, of 400 kg mass. (or whatever mass is for Hartmann Zebra stallion)

For DG, i have no experience, but I trusted the collective knoledge of this forum, and since then I bought zkk 602 in 375 H&H, and for Africa prepared swift A frames, 300 grains, hoping to go after buffalo. (when my timing permits)
Bottom line is this:
375 H&H by modern standards has moderate velocity, and for this reason many of the old fashion, low tech bullets for plains game will work excellent. For DG, get yourself prepared by zeroing and having some of the premium bullets.

Just to be absolutely clear. In now way shape for form should you be using a solid for any pg or lioness. If you can find Hornady dgx. That is ok but solids are for elephant. Hippo, follow up Cape buffalo and rhino. Great quality softs are much better option for everything you are hunting.
So people don't bring any solids when hunting plains game? I thought you could use a solid for a duiker/bushbuck sized animals so that you don't split them in half with a soft, am I way off?

So people don't bring any solids when hunting plains game? I thought you could use a solid for a duiker/bushbuck sized animals so that you don't split them in half with a soft, am I way off?
You won't split them in half. The bullet will go right through them, since there's not sufficient resistance to make the bullet expand. As I said in my other post, any modern .375 caliber bullet will kill plains game stone dead--soft or solid.

You won't split them in half. The bullet will go right through them, since there's not sufficient resistance to make the bullet expand. As I said in my other post, any modern .375 caliber bullet will kill plains game stone dead--soft or solid.
I would agree for sure. I know a solid is popular for the tiny 10 but a soft such as the A-Frame won’t expand much at all on small stuff. I took a whitetail buck behind the shoulder, missing both, and the exit was very small but he died quickly.
I would use a solid on the little ones if my PH insisted though as the difference isn’t worth an argument.

I would not use solids on bushbuck.....

Last edited:
I'd like to ask a question to those who have hunted PG & DG with a 375 H&H. Next year I'll be going to the East Cape to hunt PG, biggest being an Eland, and smallest being a Bush Buck. Right after that hunt I'll be heading to the Kalahari to hunt a Lioness. I am planning on taking my AHR CZ 550 in 375 H&H. My question to you is from the following, which bullet would be better? I currently have the following ammo, Federal Premium Safari 300 grs Nosler Partition, and Hornady DGS 270 grs SP Superformance. I don't want to be switching scopes, and ammo, and I want to keep it simple. I was going to take two scopes, but decided to only take the Trijicom Accumark 1-6x24. Your thoughts on this as well?

I've read on some post where someone claims to use the 300 grs on everything, others to go lighter on the bullets. Your opinions and expertise is greatly appreciated.

If you handload I suspect you can just create some light 250-260-270 plains game loads so they regulate to the same POI as your preferred energy dangerous game load. Even the 235gr at 300gr velocities would be similar POI and would be fine for smaller plains game.

If you like that idea but don’t handload, Lonnie at Superior or Lance at Hendershots could load you up in this manner.

I use 300gr on everything because I’m not worried about shots past 200 yards.

Hello Wiley64,

Whatever distance you zero your rifle and scope to, indeed do practice as much as possible from field positions, out to your intended maximum likely shot distance, especially from standing over the shooting sticks.

Also, I highly recommend not using a scope that is so powerful so as to become difficult in quickly finding moving animals in view at closer ranges, aka: the normal hunting shot distances (under 150 paces).
I’m not advocating taking the all important first shot at moving game.
It is however important to be able to hit moving game in the event a 2nd or 3rd shot is required.

Likewise, often when game is spotted, it is moving.
And, it’s important to be on the sticks and focused in making ready-steady-Freddy, for the times when a critter suddenly stops for that second or two, in order to stare at you before deciding what you are and then bolting for cover.
During that brief stationary thing, if you are already focused…Bang.
A huge magnification scope that’s festooned with gadgets is a hindrance for this very common situation.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Just to be absolutely clear. In now way shape for form should you be using a solid for any pg or lioness. If you can find Hornady dgx. That is ok but solids are for elephant. Hippo, follow up Cape buffalo and rhino. Great quality softs are much better option for everything you are hunting.

MMAL what about small stuff? I certainly used solids on Klippy.

I’ve also been on a multi-animal hunt loaded with DG solids and seen a kudu or zebra and taken the shot. No issues. Not optimal, but no issues.

Just a side note on solids:
By Namibian Law, it used to be unlawful to shoot any non-dangerous game animal with a solid bullet.
Only such animals as elephant, hippo, rhinoceros, buffalo and possibly crocodile, may lawfully be hunted with solid bullets, in Namibia, if my fast decaying memory serves me correctly this morning.
I haven’t checked lately but my best guess is that it remains so at this time.

Just a side note on solids:
By Namibian Law, it used to be unlawful to shoot any non-dangerous game animal with a solid bullet.
Only such animals as elephant, hippo, rhinoceros, buffalo and possibly crocodile, may lawfully be hunted with solid bullets, in Namibia, if my fast decaying memory serves me correctly this morning.
I haven’t checked lately but my best guess is that it remains so at this time.

Excellent point, @Velo Dog . I found the reference you were searching for as applies to Namibia:

No solid point cartridge is allowed to be used as per the Nature Conservation Ordinance No 4 of 1975 on any other species than pachyderms (Elephant, Hippo, Rhino).

I have to agree with most of the other folks here. Stick to the 300grn pills. My first choice would be Swift A-Frames followed by the Barnes TSX. Although I've not had the chance to test them a lot of people have given the Norma Oryx good reviews. You'll defiantly want a expanding bullet that will hold together on that lion. Their chest muscles are incredibly heavy. Good luck on your hunt.

I w
I would agree for sure. I know a solid is popular for the tiny 10 but a soft such as the A-Frame won’t expand much at all on small stuff. I took a whitetail buck behind the shoulder, missing both, and the exit was very small but he died quickly.
I would use a solid on the little ones if my PH insisted though as the difference isn’t worth an argument.
I would disagree. I shot a suni at close range in Mozambique with a .338 WM with 225gr Swift Aframes and the cape was blown apart and destroyed. Luckily, the Duckworth family had an extra suni cape in storage that they gave me. Based on this episode, I would recommend solids in a .338 or .375 for the T10 species of legal to use in the country you are hunting.

I'd like to ask a question to those who have hunted PG & DG with a 375 H&H. Next year I'll be going to the East Cape to hunt PG, biggest being an Eland, and smallest being a Bush Buck. Right after that hunt I'll be heading to the Kalahari to hunt a Lioness. I am planning on taking my AHR CZ 550 in 375 H&H. My question to you is from the following, which bullet would be better? I currently have the following ammo, Federal Premium Safari 300 grs Nosler Partition, and Hornady DGS 270 grs SP Superformance. I don't want to be switching scopes, and ammo, and I want to keep it simple. I was going to take two scopes, but decided to only take the Trijicom Accumark 1-6x24. Your thoughts on this as well?

I've read on some post where someone claims to use the 300 grs on everything, others to go lighter on the bullets. Your opinions and expertise is greatly appreciated.
Your rifle and scope choice sounds great.

Considering the ammo and component shortages, I’m sure the 270gr Hornady rounds and the old school Partitions would get you by but I do like your suggestion to reload the Accubond bullets instead. The Accubond is better than the Partition.

If not for the aforementioned shortages, for PG, I would recommend going with the 270gr Barnes LRX or the 300gr Aframe or TTSX. Eland are larger than elk and in 30 years of guiding elk hunts, I’ve seen the NP cause unnecessary issues. It’s not a DG bullet or the BEST choice for large PG. It’s just physics. Most experienced guides and PHs prefer a bullet that retains more weight and develops a large mushroom, neither of which are provided by the NP. The front half blows up (as critiqued by @IvW) while the rear part of the bullet stays mostly intact but is too small to form a large mushroom and therefore, acts like a very small semi-solid that does penetrate reasonably but without the full penetration of a full-sized solid. It also doesn’t inflict the bigger wound channel of the large mushroom of an Accubond or Aframe or TTSX or LRX. Like I said, it’s just physics. Why take such chances when better alternatives are available these days?

A lot of members have narrated how they have killed lots of animals with the NP. Yes, it will kill but taking these sentiments to the extreme, so will an arrow with just a field tip, if properly placed. Nobody recommends archery hunting with field tips instead of proper hunting broadheads. IMHO, it’s a similar argument for bullets but obviously any bullet will kill IF placed properly. Why not use the Accubond, since you have them or why not use the Aframe or TTSX if you can find them? Stack all the odds in your favor. Sell your NP bullets to the guys that like them. I would use them on an elk or an eland if I had no other choice but you have choices. Nosler did a heck of a job marketing the NP but there are better bullets that are less popular due to the Nosler marketing blitz of the old days that captured a lot of market share. That’s what advertising is for - selling product, even in the presence of better products.

Last edited:
I w

I would disagree. I shot a suni at close range in Mozambique with a .338 WM with 225gr Swift Aframes and the cape was blown apart and destroyed. Luckily, the Duckworth family had an extra suni cape in storage that they gave me. Based on this episode, I would recommend solids in a .338 or .375 for the T10 species of legal to use in the country you are hunting.
Kinda apples and oranges there. The 338 is making probably 400 or more feet per second velocity than the 375.

Ma
Kinda apples and oranges there. The 338 is making probably 400 or more feet per second velocity than the 375.
Maybe oranges to tangerines. Lol.

I like @Scott CWO ’s post above very much.

As he points out, the Nosler Partition is hit or miss. I think I know why. The partition franges into a shrapnel mess at the top, and what amounts to a solid rear that tumbles around. This is a factor of randomization. Never the same expansion and franging event twice. Sometimes, it’s just magical. Other times, its a needless crisis.

Before I had visited Africa, I had never used nor even heard of Swift A-Frames before. Ten plus years into my addiction with the dark continent, I’m here to say that there is no better lead-core bullet in the world if the goal is PERFECT mushroom and exceptional 95%++ weight retention. The challenge with the a-frame is that it is a very, very tough bullet. It could very well hit an animal with insufficient resistance to open correctly. (E.g. quartering away shot through the paunch into the vitals and out the shoulder of a kudu…lots of soft materials on the way to the boilerroom) I have not played with the A-Frame in all its renditions to see if smaller calibers open easier or if they are just as stubborn as the 375HH and .470 versions.

For an all-arounder 375HH bullet as Scott mentioned above, the Nosler Accubond is a far more predictable soft, but definitely no where near as tough as an A-Frame. My son’s bullet for Croc this trip is a .375HH Accubond in fact.

Lots of wonderful information, supported by good data and solid experiences from professionals. I’ve enjoyed the read myself and I’m just echoing some of the sentiments expressed by more qualified experts where I found the same things out personally.

Are you sure about the velocity difference? Either way, I have both and I love my .338WM. My question to you and others here is, if legal, would you hunt a Cape Buffalo with a premium bullet (say 250gr.) in a .338WM? Thread drift, but that's what we do here. LOL

Are you sure about the velocity difference? Either way, I have both and I love my .338WM. My question to you and others here is, if legal, would you hunt a Cape Buffalo with a premium bullet (say 250gr.) in a .338WM? Thread drift, but that's what we do here. LOL

Thread-drift right back at you @CoElkHunter . My 11 year old son loves his 375HH and its plenty accurate. He wanted to know why Americans don’t use 235gr copper bullets with good volume/BCs in .375HHs for elk hunting? Wouldn’t It be just as flat shooting as a classic elk rifle?

Suffice to say, I couldn’t give him a good answer as to why the .375HH is sort of shunned as a lower-48 states rifle using lighter bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportsmkcom

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]