375 H&H chamber pressure for double rifles

1peggy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Spain, Germany, Zimbabwe, Zambia
How do you figure the chamber pressure for a 375 H&H double rifle? The rifle is regulated for Hornady 300 gr. DGX ammo. I want to reload Swift A Frames 300 gr. to see if they shoot well enough to hunt with them. Do I duplicate velocity by the manual? I want to make sure I do not have excessive pressure. Help please. Mike

First what is the double rifle? Which manual? I think Hornady 300 gr. is about 2670. If that is the correct velocity that is what I would load for. Again what double rifle?

Quick Loads will give you the pressures.

First what is the double rifle? Which manual? I think Hornady 300 gr. is about 2670. If that is the correct velocity that is what I would load for. Again what double rifle?
Swift manual and Chapuis Brousse rifle. Hornady factory ammo list 2530 fps. Thanks

It is a modern rifle, I would us a chronograph to get the velocities of the ammo used to regulate it. Then I would start a load with the a frames and work my way up to that velocity.

Roger that! A chronograph or better yet, a Lab Radar makes finding a double rifle's sweet spot of velocity a lot easier! I mean an awful lot!

Another benefit of recording velocity of each shot, for each barrel, is to monitor for extreme spread and mean velocity spread.

A Frames may in fact impact differently than DGX at the DGX regulated velocity. Powder burn rate may affect this as well. Hornady may use a proprietary powder and primer not available to reloaders.

Using established load data ( I subscribe to loaddata.com It's worth it) start lower in velocity and shoot 2 to 3 rounds from each barrel. Record those two groups. Assuming right barrel impacts low and left and vice versa for left, you have a baseline! Gradual increases of powder, within the listed range of load data, and the two groups should eventually merge.

If you can't get them to cross within the load data range for your powder, a different powder should be tried. I would try a slower burn rate powder if you have room without too much compression.

For powder, I like newer ones that are much more temperature stable. Africa can at time heat your barrels so much so that they are uncomfortable to touch! Add 40 to 60 degrees to when you developed your load and older favorite powders may burn faster, increasing pressure, resulting in increased velocity. There goes your regulated loads! If your load was at a maximum mean pressure at 65 degrees using a temperature unstable powder, at 105 degrees, your action may not want to open!

I used H4350 for my bolt action 375 H&H and will use it to start to develop loads for my .375 double. It is temperature stable and once again available.

Bottom line is measuring pressure is possible using strain gauge devices such as Pressure Trace. It is however not necessary for developing loads that have much load data available.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about this some more...

Dwell time is the key to getting the projectiles far both barrels to cross. That is the time it takes a bullet to travel from chamber to muzzle.

For the same muzzle velocity, in theory a faster burning powder will push a bullet out of a barrel faster than a slower, more gradually increasing velocity bullet from a slower burning powder.
That is if the muzzle velocity is the same.

If the bullets won't cross they need more dwell time so that recoil will align each muzzle to strike center.

The inverse is that if they cross at too low velocity, a faster powder should be tried.

The Krieghoff "Teck" O/U double rifle I took on all my African hunts was fitted with barrels in calibers .458 WM and .375 H&H Magnum. Since both are rimless belted cartridges, I assume they were proofed with regular bolt rifle loads. I used only factory ammunition in them, and they functioned flawlessly.

The Krieghoff "Teck" O/U double rifle I took on all my African hunts was fitted with barrels in calibers .458 WM and .375 H&H Magnum. Since both are rimless belted cartridges, I assume they were proofed with regular bolt rifle loads.
By law in Germany they should have been proof tested to CIP standards. Germany is a "CIP Member State.

"The Commission internationale permanente pour l'épreuve des armes à feu portatives ("Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small Arms" – commonly abbreviated as C.I.P.) is an international organisation which sets standards for safety testing of firearms." from Wikipedia

"The American equivalent of C.I.P. is the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) although operating differently. SAAMI is a manufacturer's association. In contrast to C.I.P.'s decisions the recommendations of SAAMI do not have the force of law." from Wikipedia

I may be wrong but I don’t think the bullets are supposed to cross. But rather run parallel.
Correct. My terminology of "getting to cross" is easier in my mind to picture than "increase velocity until the groups of both barrels intersect".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharissaBe

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]