.375 H&H 300 grain Nosler Partition vs Swift A-Frames

Reaction score
Contemplating the Partition and the A Frame for buffalo in Africa.

It seems the general consensus is A Frames are the go to bullet. However, do the Partitions lack in some way; and if so, how?

I am very early in planning a safari, so no, I have not asked a PH/outfitter what they prefer.

John

I think you will find most will tell you the partition is a “softer” bullet, with less weight retention, less penetration and a front section that far more easily fragments apart. I think the A frame is a far better choice than a partition for buffalo, and amongst the very best choices for buffalo, amongst all bullets.

The A Frame is a stronge/better bonded bullet. The A frame will retain more weight and therefore penetrate much better. The Partician may be better for cats.

I have had very good results with the .375 A-Frame on Giraffe, Zebra and Buff. While the two are similar in construction, the main difference is that the A-Frame front core is bonded and the partition is not. Noslers tend to shed the front down to the partition on tough game, while the A-Frames generally retains most of the front of the front in a classic mushroom, at least, all that I have recovered showed this. I prefer the A-Frame hands down in all my African cartridges, but if all I could get was partitions, I would not hesitate to use them. Good Luck on your upcoming Safari!

The Swift A-Frame is suitable for shots on Cape buffalo from ALL angles.
Nosler Partitions are only suitable for broadside shots on Cape buffalo.
Nosler Partitions are better suited for lions and leopards than Swift A- Frames are.

The Swift A-Frame is bonded and will hold together better (thus maintaining a truer course and penetrating deeper) when being used against thick hided/framed game (such as frontal, rear or quartering away shots on cape buffalo).

The Nosler Partition is a cup & core design which will experience jacket-core separation when encountering heavy resistance on the bodies of thick hided/framed game (such as the scapula or humerus bone on Cape buffalo).

A long time ago, a local (African) friend used 200Gr Nosler Partitions in a .30-06 Springfield to shoot several Cape buffalo for the butcher at the Wankie colliery to feed the workers. He reported that they worked wonders if a perfect broadside shot behind the shoulder was taken. But also said that it’s suicidal to attempt to use any Nosler Partitions (regardless of caliber) for frontal shots on Cape buffalo. I’m inclined to believe him.

Last edited:
Nosler Partitions are not a DG bullet. The front part suffers heavy fragmentation, leaving the rear of the bullet to penetrate but not mushroom. Swift A-Frame will hold together and mushroom, thus causing a larger wound channel throughout its full penetrative distance.

Back in the late 50,60 and 70s the Nosler Partition was the go to bullet for most if not all game. (not including ele, hippo, rhino) Will still perform today as then but agree the bonding as began by Bitterroot Billy did advance the performance of game bullets.
Today I too am using Aframes in my 416 and 458 but have stayed with the old tried and true NP in my 340 and 375.

A Frame

Over the past several hunts I have used partitions in my 416 and have made several frontal, quartering and broadside shots resulting in one shot kills. (might be an insurance shot thrown in but that would happen using any bullet.).

early on I used A frames but not as successfully. Could be I shoot better now. had trouble getting A Frames few years ago and picked-up what was available. Now my confidence is in the partition.

Swift A-Frame. I can give the details if you want, but the fact that you are looking at the recovered bullets should say enough.
1706452663758.png

300g A-Frame. This bullet hit my brown bear at 13 yards, close enough so I could see the entrance hole spurt blood before the scope recoiled out of view. It entered at the right shoulder and ended up in the hide of the left thigh after penentrating the bear diagonally. Still weighs 299.5 grains

5NwQ1PZ.jpg

Agree with all of the posts above…

A-Frame…

I used partitions in my 375 several years ago on a PG hunt… they performed flawlessly…

But.. I wouldn’t use them on a buff.. they’re not really appropriate..

Partitions in dangerous game calibers like 375 and 416 are very tough bullets.

The partition portion of the bullet is farther forward as opposed to the smaller partitions. As a result, they tend to retain at least 70% of their original weight. The front core is designed to expand rapidly and loose mass creating secondary fragments and larger wound channels.

Having lost a significant portion of the front core, the front of the expanded bullet has a smaller surface area than bonded bullets.

The smaller frontal area together with the 70% weight of the rear core tend to penetrate very deeply. Generally deeper than bullets with larger frontal surface area.

It’s not hard to test this for yourself. Using dry paper( news paper or magazines), you can test partitions against other bullets. Use 36 inches of paper and test the bullets side by side.

Modern dangerous game partitions compare very favorably with A Frames in test media as well as cape buffalo and large bears.

I just had three well known PHs spend a few days at my Alabama camp. One of them told me he had recently guided John Nosler. Nosler killed 4 buffalo bulls with Nosler bullets. Nosler bullets are field tested very carefully. They work.

All three PHs said that modern bullets from Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, and Swift are excellent and none of them make bad bullets today.

Thank you for all the info on these bullet choices. I picked up some 270 grain cup and core bullets and some 300 grain Partitions for cheap and was wondering how to best put the 300’s to use.

Next question, would the 300 grain Partitions work well for PG? If so, which animals and which ones not? With Impala being the smallest game of interest.

Thank you. John

The Swift A-Frame is suitable for shots on Cape buffalo from ALL angles.
Nosler Partitions are only suitable for broadside shots on Cape buffalo.
Nosler Partitions are better suited for lions and leopards than Swift A- Frames are.

The Swift A-Frame is bonded and will hold together better (thus maintaining a truer course and penetrating deeper) when being used against thick hided/framed game (such as frontal, rear or quartering away shots on cape buffalo).

The Nosler Partition is a cup & core design which will experience jacket-core separation when encountering heavy resistance on the bodies of thick hided/framed game (such as the scapula or humerus bone on Cape buffalo).

A long time ago, a local (African) friend used 200Gr Nosler Partitions in a .30-06 Springfield to shoot several Cape buffalo for the butcher at the Wankie colliery to feed the workers. He reported that they worked wonders if a perfect broadside shot behind the shoulder was taken. But also said that it’s suicidal to attempt to use any Nosler Partitions (regardless of caliber) for frontal shots on Cape buffalo. I’m inclined to believe him.
I m not doubting you, but am qurious why
"Nosler Partitions are better suited for lions and leopards than Swift A- Frames are."
Thanks David

I m not doubting you, but am qurious why
"Nosler Partitions are better suited for lions and leopards than Swift A- Frames are."
Thanks David
For the great cats (esp. those shot over bait or feeding over a kill), you will do well to select a bullet which opens up quickly. Unbonded lead cored bullets are advantageous in this regard.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevin375

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?