358 Norma Magnum

andrews1958

Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Does anyone have or have had experiance with a 358 Norma Magnum. I am looking for another rifle I am looking for another rifle to take with me besides my 416 Remington on my plaines hunt, Coments sugestions?

I had one of my fathers 358 norma mag. He hunted all over, It is every bit as effective as a 375. He shot 250's only and it was deadly accurate. I'm a Blaser/mauser/Sauer fan and just hunt with a few rifles so I let a few go. Here is a pic of one of his 358 NM's. His other I still have in a M70 with a 26in barrel.

This one was built on a FN mauser with a 26in barrel, this was a true sub MOA gun if you could hold it! Recoil was brisk with out the break--A true puppy with the break installed.

dsc00303nj.jpg

Ed

Attachments

• dsc00303nj.jpg
    dsc00303nj.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 390
I am also looking at building a 358 Norma Mag on a model 110 Savage action, formerly a 300 Win mag, and start from scratch with the stock ( bedding and pillar) and make it a tolerable shooter even if a bit heavy.

Be careful with Oryx factory ammo in .358 NM,i used them on 2 game few years ago and. Their flawed behavior like a load of ruptured raking leadshot almost made me puke sick over the love of the .358 NM i had for many years by that time.

I honestly wish the Woodleigh and Swift still was loaded by them, and a weight above 250 grain like 275 Woddie PP or 310 would be awesome.

I own a 358 Norma Mag built on a Husqvarna Mauser action. I have taken black bear with the 250gr Oryx and it performed great. I have also taken moose with 250gr Nosler partitions in my reloads. It is one of the first rifles that I will grab from the safe.
I also have a 308 Norma Mag that shots sub MOA and taken a few white tails with it. My shotgun is a 16 gauge, I shoot a 416 Taylor as well as a 450 Marlin bolt action rifle so you could say I like to be a little different also.

I own a 358 Norma Mag built on a Husqvarna Mauser action. I have taken black bear with the 250gr Oryx and it performed great. I have also taken moose with 250gr Nosler partitions in my reloads. It is one of the first rifles that I will grab from the safe.
I also have a 308 Norma Mag that shots sub MOA and taken a few white tails with it. My shotgun is a 16 gauge, I shoot a 416 Taylor as well as a 450 Marlin bolt action rifle so you could say I like to be a little different also.
+1 on the .416 Taylor! No need for a .358! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I don't get into internet arguments about cartridges. But I've used both in the field and I've personally feel the 358 Norman was a better cartridge.

The 9.3x62 is a great cartridge though.
i was talking about the 9.3x64.
similar case capacity to the 358 norma, but with a 9.3 bullet.
the 358 norma necked up to 9.3 would be a twin sibling.
bruce.
bruce.

Does anyone have or have had experiance with a 358 Norma Magnum. I am looking for another rifle I am looking for another rifle to take with me besides my 416 Remington on my plaines hunt, Coments sugestions?
Same bullet diameter as the 35 Whelen and has a bit more grunt, 250gr @ 2756fps and for the Whelen 250gr @ 2523fps - both conservative loads. I think the 35 Whelen may have more bullet options but not sure. The Whelen will handle all the plains games with ease. It's an option to think about.

why not go one better and do a 9.3x64.?
it is everything the 358 norma is and more.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Don't be silly, a 9.3 ain't a 35 and who wants to pay 260 dollars for a hundred cases when of you get stuck you can make Norma brass out of 338 win mag.
Bob.

I'll have to take a look at it, always open to something different, pretty well set on the norma with this one, but why not have both?
@philip 1976
As you might know I am a 35 lover. I have a,35 Whelen loaded up to 2,700 fps with 250 grainers. That puts it right up there with standard factory 358 Norma loads and it is devastating on game.
Load the Norma with 275 or 310 Woodleigh and it puts it in an entirely different ball game. Put a 280 grain A Frame in it and you will be set for pert near anything.
I applaud your choice in the 358 Norma.
Bob
20210605_111930.jpg

I've had trouble keeping standards like 30-06 and 270, have had multiple of each and find something more interesting, like the 280 Ackley, 257 Roberts and so on. If it's odd and no one on the block has one, I'm all for it!
@philip 1976
You are truly a man after my own heart . A good 25 and 35 is all you need. Throw in a 280 AI and you have the ultimate 3 gun set up.
Different is good.
For little critters a 22 or 22K Hornet or a nice sako 218 Bee.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?