35 Whelen

@Forrest Halley - i re-assert that they are some tards. T4 and 45-70 brass don't hold THAT much more powder. I concede they can hold a lot more powder, but physics will always rule the day.

If it is their goal to ensure no bullet flies at > 2K fps, that's fairly easily managed by limiting the type and weight of bullets that are allowed. It would be more of a pain, but no more chickenshit than the rule currently stands.

@Forrest Halley - i re-assert that they are some tards. T4 and 45-70 brass don't hold THAT much more powder. I concede they can hold a lot more powder, but physics will always rule the day.

If it is their goal to ensure no bullet flies at > 2K fps, that's fairly easily managed by limiting the type and weight of bullets that are allowed. It would be more of a pain, but no more chickenshit than the rule currently stands.
Took me a second to figure out T4. Those calibers can be very quick when employed in the express rifle setup.

Limiting the type and weight is possible, but anytime you're requiring an advanced degree to keep abreast of the hunting regulations...you've majorly screwed up.

I think they should have to state the intent of the regulation before anything further so that the honest person knows what is expected and the gamer knows what he's up against. I personally have no problem with interesting zones with equipment limitations. It makes for exciting challenges. It's awfully automatic hunting whitetails with a 300 WM.

I honestly don't care to hear about their "why" because it is going to be idiotic. Iowa is a rural state. And while it's flat, it ain't Lake Placid flat, not by a long shot.

There are more people, probably twice as many more, in Greater Houston or DFW metroplex than the entire state of Iowa. And we still have hunting in Harris County (where Houston is), and in Ft Bend county where I live, population being ~750,000.

Whatever their "why" is, it's based on emotion or demonstrably untrue information. There is no legitimate reason to ban bottle neck cartridges across the entire state.

In Ohio, I sorta get it. There are way more people, and it is a small state.

I could even see in Iowa shotgun-only by county. Just not state-wide.

I personally have noticed the trend around here in Virginia where places that were shotgun only (with buckshot) ten years ago have now embraced rifle from treestands and such.

I understand it being based on emotions and probably knee jerk liberal stupidity, but the requirement to annunciation it for all to read should dissuade such stupidity.

I don't think most rifles are as ballistically resilient as people envision them to be. Probably the most amazed I have been by a rifle is the .375 H&H where I have seen it draw stripes across the ground longer than forty feet at shallow angles of impact. I have not seen anything near that in the typical .30-06 and under power levels.

Yes! .38-55 isn't even a handgun cartridge. The .375 Win IS INCLUDED. Makes me think we're looking at a power level and limiting range based in that. They are both longer cases than a .460 or .500 SW.

The .450 Bushmaster vs. .460 SW was a strange one. The .460 over powered its bullets when it was fired in the rifle, gaining a reputation as a wounder. The .450(.452) Bushmaster came along and fixed that with its bullets. It's essentially rimless vs. rimmed and if loaded with the proper bullets doesn't matter.

Now you've gone too far you Aussie buzzard! I'll tolerate the 2-4-3 comments and even suffer your colonial annunciation of toe-mah-toe and abide your Townsend Nelson Jim Jones routine about the turdy-phive. However, when you say that the glorious do all cartridge The .458 Lott (praise be and perpetual light shine upon him) is not powerful enough, you've tipped the Bundy too far.:D Drunk:
@Forrest Halley
Come in spinner. The Bundy bottle didn't tip to far, just far enough for a good bite.
Is Bundy to far anything like Sunday to far away.
Seeing these are Ozzie sayings you might need a translation.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I personally have noticed the trend around here in Virginia where places that were shotgun only (with buckshot) ten years ago have now embraced rifle from treestands and such.

I understand it being based on emotions and probably knee jerk liberal stupidity, but the requirement to annunciation it for all to read should dissuade such stupidity.

I don't think most rifles are as ballistically resilient as people envision them to be. Probably the most amazed I have been by a rifle is the .375 H&H where I have seen it draw stripes across the ground longer than forty feet at shallow angles of impact. I have not seen anything near that in the typical .30-06 and under power levels.
"I have seen it draw stripes across the ground longer than forty feet at shallow angles of impact". ?. I know I get kinda brain dead when I'm reading a lot of this stuff here on AH, but I don't get it? My first reaction IS, don't shoot it on concrete! Ha! Ha!

"I have seen it draw stripes across the ground longer than forty feet at shallow angles of impact". ?. I know I get kinda brain dead when I'm reading a lot of this stuff here on AH, but I don't get it? My first reaction IS, don't shoot it on concrete! Ha! Ha!
After it passed through paper target it dug a trench downrange...in soft ground. I think it's tied to BC and muzzle energy. Them Sierra 300 grainers they bounce.

After it passed through paper target it dug a trench downrange...in soft ground. I think it's tied to BC and muzzle energy. Them Sierra 300 grainers they bounce.
@Forrest Halley
They probably bounce off game then If'n they do that.
Told you you need a Whelen they don't bounce.
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@Forrest Halley
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Bob,
When they're back in stock, I'll buy and send you some .35 caliber Sierra 225gr Boat Tails and you can "bounce" them off an Australian water buffalo with your Whelen? Sound like a plan?
Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH

Bob,
When they're back in stock, I'll buy and send you some .35 caliber Sierra 225gr Boat Tails and you can "bounce" them off an Australian water buffalo with your Whelen? Sound like a plan?
Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Mate I thank tou in advance. Up to 70grains of CFE223 will give them 2,900+ fps so the shouldn't bounce much when you hit them in the neck. They are also very accurate but in Australia they are dearer than Woodleighs.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
I'd try and teach you about oblique angles, but you're so obtuse you'd think I meant oblivious and remain so. Haha!
Bob,
Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH
One load of paperweights inbound to our favorite subject. How does that work exactly?
@CoElkHunter
Mate I thank tou in advance. Up to 70grains of CFE223 will give them 2,900+ fps so the shouldn't bounce much when you hit them in the neck. They are also very accurate but in Australia they are dearer than Woodleighs.
Bob
Nothing is dearer to an Aussie than a Woodleigh...except probably talking funny.

Fork the sounds of it you're swimming in CFE223 down there.

I'm guessing this was all shotgun or muzzleloader only areas. Like Southern Minnesota. I'm sure this is an attempt to satisfy us rifle folks by offering some options while attempting to limit the range in the more highly populated areas and areas with less natural stoppage points for wayward bullets.

And then Bureaucrats doing it.

I'm guessing this was all shotgun or muzzleloader only areas. Like Southern Minnesota. I'm sure this is an attempt to satisfy us rifle folks by offering some options while attempting to limit the range in the more highly populated areas and areas with less natural stoppage points for wayward bullets.

And then Bureaucrats doing it.
The funny thing is when the people move in and the bureaucracy declares war against the wildlife that lives there, they will allow the use of damned near anything to get the job done. People think that rifles do the best volume killing. I disagree. Give a man on the ground a shotgun without a plug in it and you'll see some deer stacked up in short order. Of course you could use an AR or AK variant with a muzzle brake and do a lot of damage to the herd as well, but it requires a great deal more skill to do so at a distance.

Make no mistake regulations like this are never about satisfaction of the hunter. They have to get more killing done and they need to do it in such a way that the liberals can be fooled into thinking it's safer.

Yes! .38-55 isn't even a handgun cartridge. The .375 Win IS INCLUDED. Makes me think we're looking at a power level and limiting range based in that. They are both longer cases than a .460 or .500 SW.

The .450 Bushmaster vs. .460 SW was a strange one. The .460 over powered its bullets when it was fired in the rifle, gaining a reputation as a wounder. The .450(.452) Bushmaster came along and fixed that with its bullets. It's essentially rimless vs. rimmed and if loaded with the proper bullets doesn't matter.

Now you've gone too far you Aussie buzzard! I'll tolerate the 2-4-3 comments and even suffer your colonial annunciation of toe-mah-toe and abide your Townsend Nelson Jim Jones routine about the turdy-phive. However, when you say that the glorious do all cartridge The .458 Lott (praise be and perpetual light shine upon him) is not powerful enough, you've tipped the Bundy too far.:D Drunk:
Now that was a proper rant! LOL ;)

We have very similar restrictions here in Indiana. It was odd to me at first coming from Florida and also hunting in Missouri. I bought a 450 bushmaster to hunt public and a 350 legend for my upcoming young hunters in my family (3 little boys, don't know how I'm going to teach them all!). Also, I am on a quest to become a better magnum handgunner and hunter, which is legal here. To me the odd thing about hunting is the high level of anxiety surrounding access, participation, timing, etc. Our sport can only be enjoyed for a short time and with many restrictions and it's makes you feel almost as if you're doing something criminal because of the high level of oversight. Perhaps it's because firearms are involved. Honestly I'm dependent on the generosity of some private landowners in MO as I'm concerned about the safety of taking my boys hunting some day on public land here. I worry that it may become difficult to find access and I have looked west even though the quotas systems take some figuring out. Got a little off topic...

Got a little off topic...
It's a .35 whelen thread... I'm pretty sure nobody cares.

How do you like the .350 Legend? Did you do it as a rifle or a pistol? Pistol seems to be the best way to go for a youth hunter as they will be accompanied by an adult and the size fits them better. Of course our permission to do such things will be short lived.

It's a .35 whelen thread... I'm pretty sure nobody cares.

How do you like the .350 Legend? Did you do it as a rifle or a pistol? Pistol seems to be the best way to go for a youth hunter as they will be accompanied by an adult and the size fits them better. Of course our permission to do such things will be short lived.
Honestly, I haven't even scoped or shot the Legend yet. I think it will be a great youth round for my boys when they are ready. I really like the bushmaster, but haven't killed any deer with it yet. They are both the Ruger American Ranch rifles, light handy little guns. The bushmaster is about 2 moa rifle with factory. I am handloading 500gr powder coated cast subsonics with a Bowers Vers 45 suppressor and it is just stupid quiet with a dab of VV N105, not quite rimfire quiet, but def pellet rifle quiet and hits with authority. Having trouble with bullet stability and haven't had time to play around with lead alloy or giving it a little harder kick in the rear to see if I can solve that problem. Suspicious lyman #2 is just way too hard for subsonic velocities...

Honestly, I haven't even scoped or shot the Legend yet. I think it will be a great youth round for my boys when they are ready. I really like the bushmaster, but haven't killed any deer with it yet. They are both the Ruger American Ranch rifles, light handy little guns. The bushmaster is about 2 moa rifle with factory. I am handloading 500gr powder coated cast subsonics with a Bowers Vers 45 suppressor and it is just stupid quiet with a dab of VV N105, not quite rimfire quiet, but def pellet rifle quiet and hits with authority. Having trouble with bullet stability and haven't had time to play around with lead alloy or giving it a little harder kick in the rear to see if I can solve that problem. Suspicious lyman #2 is just way too hard for subsonic velocities...
I'm not sure that the bump in charge is what you want, but it's worth a try. I went down a whole grain of VV N110(300 BLK) under the minimum advertised and then right back to it when I noted better accuracy and very little gains on the quiet front.
I'm not playing with lead bullets right now. I'm also not trying to limp into a hunting season with an idiotic set of rules.

I'd try and teach you about oblique angles, but you're so obtuse you'd think I meant oblivious and remain so. Haha!

One load of paperweights inbound to our favorite subject. How does that work exactly?

Nothing is dearer to an Aussie than a Woodleigh...except probably talking funny.

Fork the sounds of it you're swimming in CFE223 down there.
@Forrest Halley
Speer 250gr 85 bucks a box of 50
Sierra 225 80 bucks a box of 50
225gn accubond 112 buck a box of 50
Woodleigh 35 cal any size 70 bucks a box of 50.
CFE223 is no longer imported to Oz so luckily I stocked up.
Bob

What an odd list ... specific to the 35 Whelen, it would easily perform at to well above the capabilities of many listed "approved" cartridges.

Super odd list! 35 Rem and 375 winchester...pistol cartridges? Lever and semi auto but pistol? I guess i must have read that paragraph incorrectly as it just didnt quite make sense to me...but it's late and i did have a second toddy tonight...well i guess it might have been a double? Arent all night caps 4 fingers? ;):sneaky::sleep:

Oh yes...i do have a few boxes of New Fed Fusion 200 grn at 2800 fps, 35 Whelan...well 6 boxes and i need to get them posted i guess but i was kind of waiting on a couple members that were on the hunt for them to chime in on them via pm but have not heard back so....let me know if someone needs them at around $60 a box or all for ??? Thanks and good luck with caliber choice for deer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linqinggou637

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?