35 Whelen Ruger Hawkeye african

professor

Bronze supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Im loving this rifle. It shoots the Speer 250gr with CFE223 very well. Had a pad put on. Also swapped the rear sight for NECG Masterpiece and used NECG green fiberoptic out front. The AlaskaArms QD mount is proving great with the little Leupold 1.5-5. I also got their +2 floorplate. I got the sling from NECG. This is the closest I can get to the awesome safari rifles Ive dreamed of my entire life. I plan to use it on hogs here in east Texas once the summer heat breaks. Ive learned much about 35 Whelen from this forum.
Ive been shooting this and a Ruger no1 375 H&H this spring. I have just not fallen for the 375 rifle as I have this one. For the shooting I do, the 35 Whelen is plenty. I have a Ruger no1 450/400 NE 3" that is my other favorite. I appreciate all the shared info Ive encountered in this group.

1000004860.jpg

1000004822.jpg

Im loving this rifle. It shoots the Speer 250gr with CFE223 very well. Had a pad put on. Also swapped the rear sight for NECG Masterpiece and used NECG green fiberoptic out front. The AlaskaArms QD mount is proving great with the little Leupold 1.5-5. I also got their +2 floorplate. I got the sling from NECG. This is the closest I can get to the awesome safari rifles Ive dreamed of my entire life. I plan to use it on hogs here in east Texas once the summer heat breaks. Ive learned much about 35 Whelen from this forum.
Ive been shooting this and a Ruger no1 375 H&H this spring. I have just not fallen for the 375 rifle as I have this one. For the shooting I do, the 35 Whelen is plenty. I have a Ruger no1 450/400 NE 3" that is my other favorite. I appreciate all the shared info Ive encountered in this group.

View attachment 618271
View attachment 618272
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I won't have much chance to shoot it until the fall. I also plan to work up loads with the 250gr Speer and CFE 223. I may also try W748 and W760.

I really like how you've set yours up. I may have to do something similar.

I'm hoping to move to near Abilene, TX in the next year or so where I also hope to try it on some hogs.

Mine shoots good. 1" groups at 100 yds with the 1.5-5 scope. I hit 8" plate easily at 200yds. Its plenty of rifle for my needs.

I also got their +2 floorplate.

I'm liking that... also from NECG? ...I'm not seeing it on their website

CapMunroe just answered my question... Alaska Arms

I wish I could find someone who makes a drop box for the Interarms Mark X action.

Ed Z

The floorplate is from Alaska Arms.
No modifications to install the NECG masterpiece adjustable rear. Only uses one screw but covers the 2nd one on the barrel. Just measure your barrel diameter and order the correct size. I would call and speak with them. AlaskaArms and NECG are very helpful by phone.

The NECG rear sight is an epic upgrade over the factory Ruger. Ive fallen for the scopes are better attitude, but a great set of sights really makes a rifle more interesting. I dont have great eye sight, but the sights really help me. Steel plates at 100yds are easy. I think Ruger decided their average customer would scope the rifles, so they never upgraded their rear sight.

Looking at a number of pics of the stock and action Ruger is using for its 35 Whelen, it appears it's the same equipment they've used on the Lipsey's edition Ruger Hawkeye African in the 9.3mm Mauser that I own. After a couple of trips across the pond with it, I've gathered my likes and my could-be-better notes.

This is the first off-the-rack factory CRF action that passed my set of feeding and extracting tests using a full magazine without hiccup. I simply could not get a failure using my mix of softs and solids at slow-and-extra-quiet speed, at regular speed, and at holy-crap!-fast-as-I-can-work-the-action speed. Quite impressive.

I love the forend on that stock. The shape and checkering fits my hand perfectly.

Could be better department:
- stock grip:
I would prefer a more open grip. In fact, the grip causes my trigger hand to move forward such that the trigger finger is past the trigger guard, rather than placed right at the trigger. I was having to arch my trigger finger just a bit to get a consistent straight-back trigger pull. I worked around this by keeping the stock recoil spacer, but swapping out the factory recoil pad, for a 1/2 inch recoil pad. That lengthened the pull just enough to keep my trigger finger in just the right default position.

- stock comb height:
The stock has been cut for optics, but it's not cut high enough for me as one who uses a hard cheek weld. Throwing the rifle up and shouldering it, my eye was consistently just a skoosh below the crosshair intersection inside the 20mm tube. I corrected this by adding a thick leather cheek pad from Diamond D Leather. Now when I bring the rifle up fast and with a hard cheek weld, I can open my eye and the crosshair is perfectly aligned with my eye without any tiny head adjustments.

- barrel
The rifle as a whole, and the barrel in particular is a consistent and accurate shooter (I've yet to come across a 9.3mm Mauser that wasn't). But holy smokes, the barrel is a copper fouling machine! Even after more than 500 rounds down the tube (yes, I keep round counts) it continues to foul like crazy. I feed it A-Frames, North Fork Spitzers, and Woodleigh Hydros. As I've said, it's a shooter, so I'm not going to do anything about that.

As I read back what I've just written it may sound to some like it's a problem rifle. It isn't. In fact, it's a great rifle! I'm quite impressed what Ruger has put together for us hunters.

-

Last edited:
Looking at a number of pics of the stock and action Ruger is using for its 35 Whelen, it appears it's the same equipment they've used on the Lipsey's edition Ruger Hawkeye African in the 9.3mm Mauser that I own. After a couple of trips across the pond with it, I've gathered my likes and my could-be-better notes.

This is the first off-the-rack factory CRF action that passed my set of feeding and extracting tests using a full magazine without hiccup. I simply could not get a failure using my mix of softs and solids at slow-and-extra-quiet speed, at regular speed, and at holy-crap!-fast-as-I-can-work-the-action speed. Quite impressive.

I love the forend on that stock. The shape and checkering fits my hand perfectly.

Could be better department:
- stock grip:
I would prefer a more open grip. In fact, the grip causes my trigger hand to move forward such that the trigger finger is past the trigger guard, rather than placed right at the trigger. I was having to arch my trigger finger just a bit to get a consistent straight-back trigger pull. I worked around this by keeping the stock recoil spacer, but swapping out the factory recoil pad, for a 1/2 inch recoil pad. That lengthened the pull just enough to keep my trigger finger in just the right default position.

- stock comb height:
The stock has been cut for optics, but it's not cut high enough for me as one who uses a hard cheek weld. Throwing the rifle up and shouldering it, my eye was consistently just a skoosh below the crosshair intersection inside the 20mm tube. I corrected this by adding a thick leather cheek pad from Diamond D Leather. Now when I bring the rifle up fast and with a hard cheek weld, I can open my eye and the crosshair is perfectly aligned with my eye without any tiny head adjustments.

- barrel
The rifle as a whole, and the barrel in particular is a consistent and accurate shooter (I've yet to come across a 9.3mm Mauser that wasn't). But holy smokes, the barrel is a copper fouling machine! Even after more than 500 rounds down the tube (yes, I keep round counts) it continues to foul like crazy. I feed it A-Frames, North Fork Spitzers, and Woodleigh Hydros. As I've said, it's a shooter, so I'm not going to do anything about that.

As I read back what I've just written it may sound to some like it's a problem rifle. It isn't. In fact, it's a great rifle! I'm quite impressed what Ruger has put together for us hunters.

-
Good honest review. I appreciate your experience.
I had a 1" pad put on mine to get the length right. I had the same issue as you before. For the price I paid, my rifle is great. Its a production gun, so limitations are expected. I like the Ruger m77 Hawkeyes. Mine are good rifles.

These are limited production guns. Lipseys has a certain quantity made and when they sell out, prices usually go way up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyinglazyt

Latest posts