35 Whelen project is done ✅ well almost....

Rule 303
Don't worry about a nosler manuals just go to the nosler reloading site. Being in OZ I use 2208. Try and get your cfe223 from rebel gunworks or Cleaver in Brisbane. Try the Speer reloading site as well,I use load from a disc by Wayne blackells.
Alliant used to list 59 grains of reloader 15 for 2,500fps with a 250 grain bullet but for some reason they dropped the charge to only get 2,300fps.
John Barsness states he has used the old 59 grain load in all his 35s and never had a problem. He can't understand why it was changed.
Cfe223 gives me 2,950 fps with the Woodleigh 225grain PPSP chronoed. This works out to 4,300fpe muzzle energy.
Sighted in 2inches high at 100 yards it zeros at 215 yards and is under 7 inches low at 300 with just over 2,450 for.
At 400 yards it's 25 inches low and has 2,000fpe.
Those figures turn the Whelen from a short range brush gun into something that will give the 338win mag a horrible shake up without rattling your teeth or knocking you out from under your hat. And all this can be done SAFELY.
If you want you can private message me for more information. Cheers Mekaniks and Rule 303
Bob Nelson
I've bought the CFE223 and just need to get off my butt and load some.

Thanks Bob. I appreciate it.
I started working up some loads shooting 250g A Frames over Varget but I couldn't get very good groups. 3-4 inches was about my best. So I picked up some 225g Partitions and Reloader 15 to start down that road. Then I ended up leaving for Antarctica last February for 9 months.... Now that I am back I need to pick up where I left off and get it dialed in.
Antarctica?! Now there's a comment that needs some splanin'!

That 35 Sanbar really has my interest. Wish I had one.
Rick Cox
Easy done mate just grab a 325 or 300 WSM, send the barrel off to JES reboring ( a lot of people on this forum seem to like JES) get it bored to 35 cal and go for it.
An interesting one would be a BLR 325 rebored to 35. Would be a great fast handling toy that smacks things really hard.
Cheers mate Bob

Antarctica?! Now there's a comment that needs some splanin'!

Yeah, I was down there working for a National Science Foundation contractor at McMurdo Station operating cranes and heavy equipment. Maintaining the airfield and runway constructed on the Ross Ice Shelf mostly, and some miscellaneous mobile crane work. I left in Jan 19' and got home 2nd week of Oct 19'.

Very nice! I’ve been wanting to build a 35 Whelen on a JC Higgins FN/FN or a pre 64 M70 as well 5 rounds of 358 is some firepower in the north woods.

One thing that I for got to mention is the front site hood.... I don’t really like a hood on the front site and think they get in way more than they are useful.... But I know some folks like them. So if you look at the picture of the front site, you will see a little silver button. Push the button and the hood slides right off. To reinstall it it just slides back in the groove and the button locks it into place. Steve installed this style for me so I can easily remove it when I want...Genius(y)
I know this is old but I know a nice place that is generally pretty dry to take that thing if it hasn’t been broken in yet. :LOL:

I know this is old but I know a nice place that is generally pretty dry to take that thing if it hasn’t been broken in yet. :LOL:

:) Yeah?? This place you talk of, does it have hogs and beer??:D Beers:

Last edited:
Rick Cox
Easy done mate just grab a 325 or 300 WSM, send the barrel off to JES reboring ( a lot of people on this forum seem to like JES) get it bored to 35 cal and go for it.
An interesting one would be a BLR 325 rebored to 35. Would be a great fast handling toy that smacks things really hard.
Cheers mate Bob

I went with a new barrel on a Ruger 77 action. The M70 is probably the best action as it has the longest magazine and if you want to seat the projectiles out or use mono metal bullets this is helpful. The feed will may need some tweaking from a 300WSM not as much if at all with a 325WSM. It sits close to the 358Norma mag with light projectiles but drops off with heavier projectiles. I had been thinking of doing this on a SAUM case but Briel Jackson beat me to it with the WSM so went with that. Now I just use my 358/338RUM:)

I went with a new barrel on a Ruger 77 action. The M70 is probably the best action as it has the longest magazine and if you want to seat the projectiles out or use mono metal bullets this is helpful. The feed will may need some tweaking from a 300WSM not as much if at all with a 325WSM. It sits close to the 358Norma mag with light projectiles but drops off with heavier projectiles. I had been thinking of doing this on a SAUM case but Briel Jackson beat me to it with the WSM so went with that. Now I just use my 358/338RUM:)
Rule 303
You love the 35s the 358/338RUM would be a screamer with the 225 gn Barnes ttsx and would be dynamite with 310 grains Woodleigh SN or solid. You'll need a good recoil pad.
Cheers mate Bob

actually the original 338 rum case is a pretty mean thing in itself.
as it would be necked up to 9.3mm using swift bullets. 286 and 300 gn.
so little time and money and so many choices.
bruce.

Rule 303
You love the 35s the 358/338RUM would be a screamer with the 225 gn Barnes ttsx and would be dynamite with 310 grains Woodleigh SN or solid. You'll need a good recoil pad.
Cheers mate Bob

Yeah I kinda like the 35's. the 358/338RUM uses some powder though. 94grains AR2209 has a 225 ACP or 220grain Atomic29 projectile (monometals) at 3200fps. 310grian Woodleighs 84 Grains AR2213sc 2500fps, have not tried 2209 or 2217. 275 grain Woodleighs 87 grains 2209 2880fps. Have not tried other powders. I figure a good 250 grain monometal would be great. Only taken some pigs, Springbok, Impala and a Zebra and Giraffe with it and the 225grain ACP's (a defunct Aussie brand. Damn good bullets shocking owner/developer of the bullet) I avoid Barnes like the plague. Spent to much money trying to get them to shoot in a few different calibre. Yes all prior to the banded jobs but I would damn near have put their kids through uni.

Sorry for the post hijack.

Yeah I kinda like the 35's. the 358/338RUM uses some powder though. 94grains AR2209 has a 225 ACP or 220grain Atomic29 projectile (monometals) at 3200fps. 310grian Woodleighs 84 Grains AR2213sc 2500fps, have not tried 2209 or 2217. 275 grain Woodleighs 87 grains 2209 2880fps. Have not tried other powders. I figure a good 250 grain monometal would be great. Only taken some pigs, Springbok, Impala and a Zebra and Giraffe with it and the 225grain ACP's (a defunct Aussie brand. Damn good bullets shocking owner/developer of the bullet) I avoid Barnes like the plague. Spent to much money trying to get them to shoot in a few different calibre. Yes all prior to the banded jobs but I would damn near have put their kids through uni.

Sorry for the post hijack.
Rule 303
What hijack mate it's still a 35.
The ACP was a brilliant bullet worked well, pity about the owner he was onto a good thing but blew it.
I have 50 185grain 35 cal Apps if you're interested. They would really sing in your 35 ultra mag.
I like the idea. After looking at all the reloading stuff I could find the 35 Sambar and 358 Norma mag didn't offer that much over a properly loaded WHELEN and ammo and brass was cheaper than both. I was lucky I got 6 boxes of Remington Whelen ammo for $47 a box.
Have fun with your ultra 35 and pm me if you would like those ACPs.
I think you have my phone number.
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mreddy0817

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better