35 rem loads

MS 9x56

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
With the price of 35 rem ammo at rediculous heights. I dug through my spent brass, tumbled then inspected then trimmed 150 cases. Selected 3031 powder, Speer 200 grain round nose bullets. Winchester primers and restocked my shelves. That should last me the rest of my shooting career. The best part was I had all components on hand so the only expenditure was time. Got lots of that as I rehab my 2 new knees.

I bought a Marlin 336 in in 35 Remington a couple of years ago and haven’t had an opportunity to use it yet. My plans are to kill a bear with it in the next few years. In all of my research it appears to punch above its weight class. I would also like to someday take it to Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the price of 35 rem ammo at rediculous heights. I dug through my spent brass, tumbled then inspected then trimmed 150 cases. Selected 3031 powder, Speer 200 grain round nose bullets. Winchester primers and restocked my shelves. That should last me the rest of my shooting career. The best part was I had all components on hand so the only expenditure was time. Got lots of that as I rehab my 2 new knees.
@MS 9x56
You can NEVER have to many components for a 35 of any description. Such a great underrated caliber.
Bob

I bought a Marlin 336 in in 35 Remington a couple of years ago and haven’t had an opportunity to use it yet. My plans are to kill a bear with it in the next few years. In all of my research it appears to punch above its weight class. I would also like to someday take it to Africa.
I did the same a few years back… found one with good metal and a well used stock, refinished the wood, added a low power scope, and then re-blooded the rifle on a nice 8 point whitetail last fall.

IMG_8723.jpeg

The 336 is a handy package, especially for thick timber. And I agree, the 35 Rem seems to hit way harder than it’s ballistic chart would indicate.

I did the same a few years back… found one with good metal and a well used stock, refinished the wood, added a low power scope, and then re-blooded the rifle on a nice 8 point whitetail last fall.

View attachment 548055
The 336 is a handy package, especially for thick timber. And I agree, the 35 Rem seems to hit way harder than it’s ballistic chart would indicate.
Most 35 calibers do hit way above their charts. That’s why they are my favorite caliber. Nice deer and great job on the stock.

The 35Rem will always have a special place in my mind. Started out with one (Marlin 336) in 1985 and killed my first ever buck with it the following year. Bought my first bolt gun (Rem 700 Mtn Rifle .280) four years later and never really returned to lever guns. Still have that little 35, just need to get it out more often than I do.

Your post motivated me to take stock of ammo on hand, MS. Been saving those Silvertips for something special.

20230728_142226Resized.jpg

The 35Rem will always have a special place in my mind. Started out with one (Marlin 336) in 1985 and killed my first ever buck with it the following year. Bought my first bolt gun (Rem 700 Mtn Rifle .280) four years later and never really returned to lever guns. Still have that little 35, just need to get it out more often than I do.

Your post motivated me to take stock of ammo on hand, MS. Been saving those Silvertips for something special.

View attachment 548141
Two minds of the same thought. I have 2 boxes of silver tips for 358 winchester. One box each of 200 grain and 250 grain. Used one of the 250 grain 3years ago to take a nice 8 point with one busted tine. That 250 grain silver tip took him off his feet and all he could do was roll over and kick.

I bought a 336 in .35 Remington a number of years ago, and I used it to take my largest moose. I was using the Buffalo Bore stuff for it on that hunt. Honesty? I don't think I've hunted with it since. I probably should change that one of these years...

Picture 189.jpg

View attachment 548141
Hey Marc,

That's creepy. I bought my 336 in probably 1979 or 80, and my 700 MTN rifle (280) in 1986. Still two of my favorites. Go anywhere calibers and rifles.

Two minds of the same thought. I have 2 boxes of silver tips for 358 winchester. One box each of 200 grain and 250 grain. Used one of the 250 grain 3years ago to take a nice 8 point with one busted tine. That 250 grain silver tip took him off his feet and all he could do was roll over and kick.

I picked up that box of Silvertips at a gun show more than 20 years ago but have never had the right occasion to use them.

Last year I was talking with a friend in Maine when the topic of the Remington Model 8/81 came up. I've wanted one for the longest time but never could justify it as we aren't permitted the use of semi rifles for big game here in PA. Anyway, I mentioned to Lee that if semis were ever legalized here (there are rumblings), I was getting a Model 8 or 81 and using those Silvertips in it for the inaugural season. Fast forward to this spring and guess who offers me his Model 8...

Hey Marc,

That's creepy. I bought my 336 in probably 1979 or 80, and my 700 MTN rifle (280) in 1986. Still two of my favorites. Go anywhere calibers and rifles.

Yes, that is a bit FREAKY, Craig. I can't take credit for the Marlin as that's the gun my father gave me my first season but the .280 was my choice with my money when I turned 16.

I have a 336 Marlin 35 Remington and both my wife and I killed bears with it. We were shooting 200gr. factory Remington ammo. Perfect gun in thick cover for mid size game in my opinion. We want to take it to Africa to shoot warthogs specifically.

I have a 336 Marlin 35 Remington and both my wife and I killed bears with it. We were shooting 200gr. factory Remington ammo. Perfect gun in thick cover for mid size game in my opinion. We want to take it to Africa to shoot warthogs specifically.
I have used my 35 rem 336 on hogs in Georgia and it just drops them in their tracks. Never had to shoot one twice or trail one more than 20 yards.

I picked up that box of Silvertips at a gun show more than 20 years ago but have never had the right occasion to use them.

Last year I was talking with a friend in Maine when the topic of the Remington Model 8/81 came up. I've wanted one for the longest time but never could justify it as we aren't permitted the use of semi rifles for big game here in PA. Anyway, I mentioned to Lee that if semis were ever legalized here (there are rumblings), I was getting a Model 8 or 81 and using those Silvertips in it for the inaugural season. Fast forward to this spring and guess who offers me his Model 8...
I actually bought those silver tips before I bought my 358 BLR. Had a run in waith a 500 lb wild boar that almost proved too much for my 308 savage 99. Came home from that trip and told my wife I needed a bigger gun. Bought the ammo #2 years before I got the gun.

I actually bought those silver tips before I bought my 358 BLR. Had a run in waith a 500 lb wild boar that almost proved too much for my 308 savage 99. Came home from that trip and told my wife I needed a bigger gun. Bought the ammo #2 years before I got the gun.
I had a T/C contender 14” in .35 Remington and a Fox ridge barrel 15” in 45/70 . Took 4 deer and 2 Maine Black Bear , 2 Arizona Bobcats and a Coatimundi all with the .35 sold the gun with both barrels. I have a good supply of ammo I saved including 35 win silvertips and rem corelok . Because I have this ammunition (about 160 rds) I decided to get a .35 . I just found it, in a local GS. A Remington model 14. I have been looking for this and a model 8 or 81 in .35. It is about 85%. I may pick up this week

I had a T/C contender 14” in .35 Remington and a Fox ridge barrel 15” in 45/70 . Took 4 deer and 2 Maine Black Bear , 2 Arizona Bobcats and a Coatimundi all with the .35 sold the gun with both barrels. I have a good supply of ammo I saved including 35 win silvertips and rem corelok . Because I have this ammunition (about 160 rds) I decided to get a .35 . I just found it, in a local GS. A Remington model 14. I have been looking for this and a model 8 or 81 in .35. It is about 85%. I may pick up this week
You will love that model 14. Mine was made in 1920 and is a 30 rem.

@MS 9x56
You need a model 14 in 25 rem and another in 35 rem to go with the 30 cal.
Bob
I am currently hunting a model 8 or 81 in 35 rem. I have seen 2 but both were 30 rem. I have the 25 covered with my 250-3000 Ruger RSI. If you think 35 rem brass and ammo are hard to find the 25 rem is like trying to find Finnigans gold! :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeramyHead

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!