338 WM -> 375HH -> 458 WM - Where does one go from here?

Doesn't my 458 already have me covered on dangerous game? I still want a 416 but hadn't yet because the 458 has the 400gr-500gr range covered.
Well, my .500 MDM and .458 B&M had me covered for DG and worked well.
However, a double in .500 NE is something else.

You sit down and rest. You have all you need.

I honestly would not even bump the Win Mag to a Lott. a 480 Woodleigh at 2150 is a 450 Nitro - actually better than a 450 Nitro because I very seriously doubt many of the 450 rounds actually hit that number. 500 gr @2150 is generally achievable with AA2230 - and that's all Jack Lott ever really wanted anyway.
Having now shot of 200 rounds through my 458 WinMag (100 of which being Hornady DGS/DGX) I can confidently say that I don't think I'd want to bump up the ballistics all that much higher above those. I don't think anything walking this early would shrug those rounds off.

The 450gr Barnes are also pretty hefty.

Full power 458 lott loads are what? 20% higher recoil than 458 WinMag?

Turf the 458 and get a 404 Jeff and then a 500 Jeff
This comment has me perplexed, I don't have a dog in this fight because I own neither, but the constant criticism of the 458 Win Mag based on outdated loads with clumping powders is surely a non-issue in 2023.

The 458 Win Mag hits harder and has more power than the 404 Jeff, so why the hate? For DG hunting surely this is the better choice of the two? Ammo availability is superior with the 458 and easier to source in remote locations and hunting camps, especially with the widespread usage amongst PH's over the 404.

Load the 375 H&H with premium bullets or factory ammo. 350 grain Woodleigh's or 300 Barnes TSX and you have the 404 pretty well covered and the step up to the 458 does the rest.

As others have stated you are ready to go......just go hunting.

If you feel like adding to an already impressive arsenal, I would personally add the 300 H&H for plains game but a good 30/06- or 300-Win mag can do this as well.

Book a DG hunt to Africa, get either the 375 or 458 packed and go hunt something before its too late.

Now if you have $$$ to spend/dispose plus hunt deposits sent then I say the DR in 470 would be my #1 next firearm.

MB
If I go with a double the 470NE is likely my top contender, ammo seems to be the most readily available for the 470. Would also consider a 500NE though, is there a notable level of recoil between the two?

If I go with a double the 470NE is likely my top contender, ammo seems to be the most readily available for the 470. Would also consider a 500NE though, is there a notable level of recoil between the two?
No there is not. When you move up to big bore doubles understanding powder grains versus FPS versus PSI versus recoil makes all the difference. Trust my experience on this

If your trying to be "practical" then you are done. But "practical" is boring so I gave that up years ago.

A 470 NE will have similar recoil to your 458 WM. A 500 NE is a step up and would be more comparable to a 458 Lott. Of course many factors such as "weight" and "fit" greatly affect felt recoil. I've shot a 458 WM that was less comfortable to shoot then a 577 NE.

If I had your line-up, I would want a double (if the budget can handle it). The brand would depend on budget but I wouldn't even look at guns under $10,000. If that's not in your budget then '"plan B" would be a 50 caliber rifle.

-Matt

the 458wm beget the 458 Lott beget the 458 Express. The Express is a wildcat out of Africa that is 0.20" longer than the Lott, and on a good day, anywhere from 4 to 8gn of more case capacity (the reloads came out about 4gn, published info says 8). Not sure worth it with a OAL of 3.85" (same as 505 Gibbs) but somebody wanted one. Tim at Matrix just finishing up one on CZ550 action, etc. with his custom front sight base.

458xps_loaded.JPG

I have never shot a .470. However, I don't think you will need to worry about the recoil of the .500NE if you are comfortable with the recoil of the .458WM, a much lighter gun. Now, shooting from a bench that's a different story with any big bore.

Those are my 3 big boy cartridges, if you owned the same trio, what would be the next thumper you would be considering?

One of the low .40s? a .475? 500+?

Time for a double rifle?

Help guide me on my next acquisition,
Apparently there's several on here whose wives were reading over their shoulder. The correct response is, yes, it is time for a double rifle. To fill in those gaps, a 7x65R, a 9.3x74R, a 450-400 and a 450NE or 470NE would be excellent additions. Two frames with two barrel sets each. This would cover you from deer to PG to DG in a beautiful, easily transportable form. Get to looking man! You have doubles to find!

Like other have said Book a hunt. But if you’re just looking to add to the collection I don’t blame you. If you’re sticking to bolt action maybe a 450 Rigby or a 505 Gibbs also a 50 BMG is fun as well.
The next logical step thou would be to dabble in the DR world find a good 450-400 double or step up to 470, 500 ballpark. Problem is they get just as addicting as the big bore bolt guns do. I currently have a 450-400, 470, 500 nitro and a 577 in the works.

I would trust others on your answer. I have only fired the 470 NE, it never recoiled= I was shooting a lion, never shot a 500, both may be illegal up here soon. That will be bad. I did fire a .50 AE dessert eagle ONCE.

I do know that I can change the recoil of my 375 and 338 with same gr bullet at same velocity by just changing powder, RL 15 is a nice shove, others are a sharp hurt.

MB

To others points on here, you certainly don't NEED anything else to go out and shoot any big game out there on any continent. Now if you're to fill "voids" for the sake of filling up the safe, that's always fun too. 35 whelen, 404, 416, all would be good. I do agree with the prior comment with rechambering the 458 to 458 lott. You can still shoot 458 wm out of it, but you have the option of stepping it up if you want.

I'm not well versed on doubles, but obviously that opens up the possibilities.

Those are my 3 big boy cartridges, if you owned the same trio, what would be the next thumper you would be considering?

Time for a double rifle?

I top out with the 458 Winchester & Lott. The double rifles are definitely neat but not a big ownership desire for me.
Myself, I would fill in the 416 slots.

If you're me, and it's 1970, you'd have to resort to wildcatting, as I did, with my .505 SRE (570 grain bullet at 2150 fps.). Nowadays, you have quite a number of choices. Perhaps the easiest would be the .500 Jeffrey, which does not require a Magnum length action and is probably the easiest to find reloading components for.

Time for a double rifle?

i have a 338wm, 9.3x74r double, 416rm, and 450ne double. i personally found that the 416 filled that same gap, as would a 416 rigby or 404 jeffrey. just my humble 2 cents.

i have a 338wm, 9.3x74r double, 416rm, and 450ne double. i personally found that the 416 filled that same gap, as would a 416 rigby or 404 jeffrey. just my humble 2 cents.
As someone who will likely never hunt elephant all of these cartridges above the 375 are just luxury/fun toys to me. If I ever go above the .458's it will likely be in a double rifle which will be more of a collector piece.

For a bolt gun I can see myself finishing off the dangerous game trio with a 416 of some kind, having comparable energy to the 458 but being able to reach out twice as far is appealing, even for NA game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthaMcCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.