338 WM -> 375HH -> 458 WM - Where does one go from here?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Those are my 3 big boy cartridges, if you owned the same trio, what would be the next thumper you would be considering?

One of the low .40s? a .475? 500+?

Time for a double rifle?

Help guide me on my next acquisition,

Last edited:
The question is, "What do you plan to shoot?"

I started out with just African Plains Game and some Cape Buffalo, then I got into elephants and more Cape Buffalo. My last hunt was elephant and lion. Going back next year for leopard and more elephant.

I had/have: 300 PRC, 300 Wthrby, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H, 450/400 Dble, 458 Lott. I added another 300 Win Mag and the 500NE Double.

Turf the 458 and get a 404 Jeff and then a 500 Jeff

Those are my 3 big boy cartridges, if you owned the same trio, what would be the next thumper you would be considering?

Time for a double rifle?

I did the same drill then moved up to DRs and have since had 5. I went 450-400, 470, 500 all NE before settling on my 470 NE DR which is my favorite gun

Add a 9.3x62 and a 416 of your choice and like stated above rechamber your 458 to a Lott and you're good to go.

Time for a double rifle?

Get a double in .500NE, then between it and the .338 you have DG and PG covered.

Time for a double rifle?

You sit down and rest. You have all you need.

I honestly would not even bump the Win Mag to a Lott. a 480 Woodleigh at 2150 is a 450 Nitro - actually better than a 450 Nitro because I very seriously doubt many of the 450 rounds actually hit that number. 500 gr @2150 is generally achievable with AA2230 - and that's all Jack Lott ever really wanted anyway.

None. Sell the 338 and 458 and go hunting.

Book a DG hunt to Africa, get either the 375 or 458 packed and go hunt something before its too late.

Now if you have $$$ to spend/dispose plus hunt deposits sent then I say the DR in 470 would be my #1 next firearm.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meiyejiujie262

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?