AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day to members. Members, I am in need of items/components of .338 Imperial Magnum caliber I bought from the Originator Aubrey White in Canada,( Aubrey sadly passed away recently) Wayne ( member of our forum ) wanted to bring the components through on a planned hunt had to abandoned his plans due to unforeseen health issues .

A good member , Longwalker informed me he will be hunting SA and bring the items with ..unfortunately the documentation that needed to accompany the items was not received from the relevant Canadian department handling the permanent export permits for these items on time and Long Walker had to leave it in behind at his house in Canada.

Members, I really would like to hear from any Canadian hunter who will be visiting SA in the near future to be so kind as to bring these components to SA. I will be meeting you at OR Tambo airport to get these items from you and thank you in person.
I will forward you Longwalker`s contact details to discuss all relevant information in this regards

Good day to members. Members, I am in need of items/components of .338 Imperial Magnum caliber I bought from the Originator Aubrey White in Canada,( Aubrey sadly passed away recently) Wayne ( member of our forum ) wanted to bring the components through on a planned hunt had to abandoned his plans due to unforeseen health issues .

A good member , Longwalker informed me he will be hunting SA and bring the items with ..unfortunately the documentation that needed to accompany the items was not received from the relevant Canadian department handling the permanent export permits for these items on time and Long Walker had to leave it in behind at his house in Canada.

Members, I really would like to hear from any Canadian hunter who will be visiting SA in the near future to be so kind as to bring these components to SA. I will be meeting you at OR Tambo airport to get these items from you and thank you in person.
I will forward you Longwalker`s contact details to discuss all relevant information in this regards
Hopefully someone will be able to help

Fellow Canadian hunters, please help deliver these items if you can! I feel bad I was not able to deliver these some months ago, and Gert needs to build a nice new rifle!

Fellow Canadian hunters, please help deliver these items if you can! I feel bad I was not able to deliver these some months ago, and Gert needs to build a nice new rifle!
Members, it really would be much appreciated if a visiting Canadian hunter will be willing to bring this package to OR Tambo airport, I will meet you there and thank you in person.

To members who wants to know more about the .338 Imperial Magnum .

Attachments

• History IMC Page 1.pdf
    924.7 KB · Views: 57
  • History IMC Page 2.pdf
    980.6 KB · Views: 31
  • History IMC Page 3.pdf
    943.8 KB · Views: 36
Members, today was a joyful day..with great appreciation towards Guy Pulvermaker from Canada , who brought me the .338 Imperial Magnum components I bought from Aubrey White who unfortunately passed a few years back.
Guy went through a huge lot of difficulties to get a permanent export permit from Canadian departments to bring these components to South Africa, I met Guy and Evan who are on their way to Mozambique to hunt buffalo and plains game this morning at OR Tambo Airport..what a great member. We had a great breakfast before they left for Mozambique .

I now are sourcing the .338 Imperial Magnum reloading dies, I will access gun shops in Canada to see if I am able to source a set of dies..the alternative is to order prom CH4 company..they are currently on back order for these dies ..nothing in stock....

In the meantime if any Canadian member is able to send me links to Canadian gun shops I can contact to find reloading dies for the .338 Imperial Magnum caliber, since Aubrey White was living in Canada when he developed the Imperial Magnum calibers...
I really would appreciate it enormously if Canadian members will be able to assist. Here are the components Guy brought me this morning.

1111111 2f6cf907-02f2-4f4a-b8da-44977e382279.jpeg
555555555 2f6cf907-02f2-4f4a-b8da-44977e382279 (1).jpeg
33333333 b6ca6bce-8ee4-4f43-a7ac-55807dad3e92.jpeg
222222222f7fecac9-d671-4ae3-bce0-54b92ac2af2d.jpeg
4444444 5338f4db-ea50-4053-bdb1-3a6ab0434710.jpeg

I know of an extremely few, if any people/hunters who has these components in their possession (y) (y) (y) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

A perfect 404 Jeffery brass case in a .338 Imperial Magnum form..
555555555 2f6cf907-02f2-4f4a-b8da-44977e382279 (1).jpeg

Gert, safari is out this year but next year for sure I'll be back to Eastern Cape.

Permanent export of rifle actually requires minister's signature. I brought two guns to Africa for lodge owner my first two safaris. It is a hassle! Forms can be done on line but getting the signature takes time. Temporary export permits for hunting rifles is actually quite quick.

I had never heard of Imperial Magnum before. Sounds like you have a sentimental connection to the developer. Did he build your gun for you? Can we see it? Hope you get set up in time to hunt this year.

Thanks for providing White's writeup. I could sense the bitterness in his writing.

Two questions re the "advantages" of beltless vs belted magnums. 1) I'm not sure how beltless cases achieve more powder capacity and 2) I would think belted would have an advantage over beltless re potential head space issues, not vice versa as White claims. I do agree, beltless would be less likely to encounter cycling issues and manufacture more cheaply.

Thanks for providing White's writeup. I could sense the bitterness in his writing.

Two questions re the "advantages" of beltless vs belted magnums. 1) I'm not sure how beltless cases achieve more powder capacity and 2) I would think belted would have an advantage over beltless re potential head space issues, not vice versa as White claims. I do agree, beltless would be less likely to encounter cycling issues and manufacture more cheaply.
No , I am not going to commence with the discussion : beltless vs belted cases.
The same discussions raging on about : 30-06 vs .308 and numerous other discussions that do not make any sense and have no conclusive answers only opinions..
This .338 Imperial Magnum only works for me since I have a 404 Jeffery hunting rifle, to me it is the best hunting rifle I ever possess .

I like the history/design /cases of the 404 Jeffery , focusing on building all / most of the calibers based on the 404 Jeffery case like the .333 Jeffery, 9.3x70 Mauser and other such calibers.

The .338 Imperial Magnum being the single most important design since it was the first used of a 404 Jeffery case necked up/down in the new era ...the clones like the RUM, Edge ,and other brands like the Dakota designs came much later all had altered cases..

Yes. I knew WSM and RUM allegedly were built on 404J ... but not really. Found that out the hard way. When I bought my reloading setup for my 404, it didn't come with shell holder for dies. Thought I could buy locally available WSM or RUM shell holder instead. Nope! Don't fit.

I also learned how finicky 404 cases are to load. The RWS brass that came in my kit are shorter than spec and shoulder is set back slightly. They do not snap over consistently. Because 404 has gently sloping shoulder, they are easily pushed just a bit too far into the chamber if not sized perfectly. And a bit too far is enough to defeat snap over. Of course it doesn't help that RWS brass has rims of inconsistent thickness. With 404, everything must be just right for snap over. If this rifle was anything but a DGR stopper, I wouldn't bother with snap over. But it's a 3+1 standard 98. Obviously, if I need to put a fifth round in an empty rifle while dodging horns and hooves, I don't want to be bothered with correctly stuffing a round in the magazine under my scope. Drop a shell in the receiver port, close the bolt, and kill the SOB before it kills me. Belted brass negates this but at a price. The cartridges don't cycle as smoothly or, so I've heard, as reliably. However, I don't own a belted magnum. In fact, this 404 I built last year is the only magnum I've owned ... or indeed any caliber except 30-06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPoteet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?