338/30-06 Barrel stamp

Razor

Reaction score
Hello! Lurker here :) I have a beautiful custom, rebored Ruger M77 that is stamped 338/30-06 on the barrel. Can I take brass that is stamped 338-06 into Africa? Or does it have to match exactly? Thanks!

You should be good to go for Namibia, Zimbabwe any ones guess

Why don't you just have a gunsmith mill it away and restamp it to say .338-06? My guess would be less than $50. You probably paid that much for properly head stamped brass...

I've wondered about such details.
I built a wildcat 375 using the 300 Win Mag case so is headstamped as such with a 375 bullet.
Win mag brass got hard to find so encountered a deal on a bag of RP 375 H&H brass and tried reforming them. They worked but took more effort to blow out the body taper.
Now I have a 375 KATN Mag rifle with 300 Win Mag and 375 H&H brass and no oem box for such. It is possible an inspector might never notice a shorter fatter 375 H&H but a 375 bullet in a win mag case who knows. Thoughts?

Why don't you just have a gunsmith mill it away and restamp it to say .338-06? My guess would be less than $50. You probably paid that much for properly head stamped brass...

To mill away that stamping it would require that the barrel be removed, milled quite a bit to remove the stamping completely and then reblueing the barrel along with reinstalling it.

It would end up being quite a bit more than $50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.