.318 Westley Richards vs. .333Jeffery vs. 9.5 M-S

If you want something that slow just get yourself a .375 Winchester. I once had an XTR. Nicely accurate.

I have enjoyed reading the threads on classic hunting cartridges on the AH boards, so I decided to post one of my own.

Hypothetically, which classic rifle and chambering would you choose between the .318 Westley Richards, the .333 Jeffery, and the 9.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. All of the above took plenty of game in their day and could certainly still be used to great effect, but barring the obvious "I'll take them all", which would it be and why?(or would it be one of the countless other classic medium rifles like the .350 Rigby or the 400/360 Nitro)

Personally, I would have to give the slightest of edges to the .318 Westley Richards because of the ability to adapt 30-06 cases in a pinch, plus I've always like the styling of the Westley Richards' rifles. The 9.5 M-S would be a close second because the 1910 rifle is such a work of art and because if I were going to own a .333, the temptation of the .333 OKH would be too great.

I look forward to hearing from others who love classic rifles and calibers.
These are all great cartridges . I have shot them all . I’ve got a 318WR takedown rifle made in 1908 - just fantastic original condition and very comfortable to shoot . My experience with the 333 Jeffery was with the rimmed version of the cartridges in a Jeffery double rifle . It was wonderful to shoot - rimmed are slightly slower in a heavier rifle . The 333 was offered to me but I bought the 318 and a 425WR takedown from same vendor instead . He also had a 9.5x57 MS on another occasion. It was not for sale - all original. A truly hideous rifle to shoot with the original short stock and narrow butt . He had a new stock fitted ( retains original ) and it turned into a beautiful rifle to shoot . All would be very effective but I wouldn’t use for dangerous game although many illustrious hunters have done so in the past . I’d pick the 318.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OliviaB

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED